Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Hyper 21 8 port...good engine?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 07:29 PM
Nitrohouse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hyper 21 8 port...good engine?

ORIGINAL: Dragonfly2k3

this has basically no bearing on this thread, so mods delete if you feel it a waste, im just bored at work. i have a .21 8 port in my garage with the glowplug threads stripped, is it worth it to just go with teh turbo head/button now? also, i have the older .21 8 port i believe, its the purple head, is the black head the "race" version?
There isn't a Turbo head for it, besides using a NovaRossi P5 Turbo head button and head (which will fit). It has "turbo" in the name, but it isn't a turbo engine. Get a stock head and run the snot out of it...You can choose from the black, purple, or the champange head...They are interchangable...
Old 08-04-2006, 01:21 AM
john0087
My Feedback: (4)

I think this pertains to the topic

So what is the correct operating temp for the Hyper 8port. The first one I had in my Hyper 7, i ran it in the mid 260-270's, which was recomended in another forum. The head quickly turned from purple to toasty black. eventually I think I riuned that motor.

The paper with the motor says to not to exceed 140-150C, which is like 300F. I was planning on racing it around 225f. I will be running 20% O'Donnel fuel and an MC8 plug.

Thanks
Old 08-04-2006, 02:04 AM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: john0087

I think this pertains to the topic

So what is the correct operating temp for the Hyper 8port. The first one I had in my Hyper 7, i ran it in the mid 260-270's, which was recomended in another forum. The head quickly turned from purple to toasty black. eventually I think I riuned that motor.

The paper with the motor says to not to exceed 140-150C, which is like 300F. I was planning on racing it around 225f. I will be running 20% O'Donnel fuel and an MC8 plug.

Thanks

Do not tune to any certain temperature. Tune where it runs the best with good smoke and with in the maximum temperature.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:24 AM
J_Bone
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Nitrohouse

The Hyper 8 port is a killer engine, and my very good friend TazerVersionA's post is what I have learned from my testing with this engine. I have won expert class races with it more than once and here in So. Calif., and thats very difficult to do, because the quality of the drivers here.

The midrange needle can for some be difficult, but if you learn it, and how to control it you, will come to love 3 needle carbs (I wish they came on every engine personally). The best method for finding its setttings is to remove the entire high speed needle (housing and all) from the carb body. Then look into the hole and you should see the midrange needle hole, the midrange needle only has four holes on it and, you want to make sure to have one of them lined up with the high speed needle or it won't run and tune correctly...It doesn't have to be in the exact center (I've heard of some turning out the midrange needle like 3 turns thinking it had to be directly in the center of the high speed needle housing hole, it doesn't) of the hole. How I adjust mine is this. I'm normally one quarter turn out from flush, centering the holes and then marking the carb body with a file to mark where the adjustment needle must be set at. You can only make quarter turn adjustments on the midrange needle, and thats why I mark the carb body, so its easier to know for sure that its set correctly...When in doubt about the o'rings, just replace them, they aren't expensive. Part number 53061 and its $8.95. If you notice the midrange walking, then replace the o'rings and you should be fine..

To resolve the bearing issue I installed the front bearing from a Picco .21 (part number is 51311 and its $29.99) into only one of mine that had issues with the front bearing. The other 4 or 5 ran like rabid dogs for many gallons with no issues at all.

I run the exact combo my friend (TazerVersionA) above posted and can't stress enough how fast this $200 dollar engine/pipe combo can be...
ROB!! Thank you!!! Lynchmob showed me how to set mine and I gave these exact tips on this very forum like a year ago and was flamed big time! Even though I did it and had experience with it, they still claimed I was wrong even though they had none.

This engine rocks and the pattern of carb o-rings failing, I noticed were on the RTR buggies.

Old 08-04-2006, 12:10 PM
Nitrohouse

ORIGINAL: J_Bone

The Hyper 8 port is a killer engine, and my very good friend TazerVersionA's post is what I have learned from my testing with this engine. I have won expert class races with it more than once and here in So. Calif., and thats very difficult to do, because the quality of the drivers here.

The midrange needle can for some be difficult, but if you learn it, and how to control it you, will come to love 3 needle carbs (I wish they came on every engine personally). The best method for finding its setttings is to remove the entire high speed needle (housing and all) from the carb body. Then look into the hole and you should see the midrange needle hole, the midrange needle only has four holes on it and, you want to make sure to have one of them lined up with the high speed needle or it won't run and tune correctly...It doesn't have to be in the exact center (I've heard of some turning out the midrange needle like 3 turns thinking it had to be directly in the center of the high speed needle housing hole, it doesn't) of the hole. How I adjust mine is this. I'm normally one quarter turn out from flush, centering the holes and then marking the carb body with a file to mark where the adjustment needle must be set at. You can only make quarter turn adjustments on the midrange needle, and thats why I mark the carb body, so its easier to know for sure that its set correctly...When in doubt about the o'rings, just replace them, they aren't expensive. Part number 53061 and its $8.95. If you notice the midrange walking, then replace the o'rings and you should be fine..

To resolve the bearing issue I installed the front bearing from a Picco .21 (part number is 51311 and its $29.99) into only one of mine that had issues with the front bearing. The other 4 or 5 ran like rabid dogs for many gallons with no issues at all.

I run the exact combo my friend (TazerVersionA) above posted and can't stress enough how fast this $200 dollar engine/pipe combo can be...
ROB!! Thank you!!! Lynchmob showed me how to set mine and I gave these exact tips on this very forum like a year ago and was flamed big time! Even though I did it and had experience with it, they still claimed I was wrong even though they had none.

This engine rocks and the pattern of carb o-rings failing, I noticed were on the RTR buggies.

I have had to type basically the same thing like a hundred times now, but if it helps, then I'll type it a hundred more times...I hate it when I hear "don't touch the midrange needle", instead we should be saying "learn the midrange needle, and how to adjust it"...Tuning issues seem to go away once they have learned the midrange needle, and how to set it...

Say "Hi" to the Lynchmob(ster)...Is he still racing, or staying home with his new baby?? Tell him to call me, please, and I'll let him tell me how he's been...Good to know your still tearing it up...Have Fun...Burn Nitro...
Old 08-04-2006, 03:58 PM
J_Bone

I agree 100%.

Lynch has been home with his baby. I haven't seen him in a few months. He seems to be doing good and is happy. I will pass the word along!!
Old 08-04-2006, 09:13 PM
VeeAte

ORIGINAL: Dragonfly2k3

this has basically no bearing on this thread, so mods delete if you feel it a waste, im just bored at work. i have a .21 8 port in my garage with the glowplug threads stripped, is it worth it to just go with teh turbo head/button now? also, i have the older .21 8 port i believe, its the purple head, is the black head the "race" version?
There isn't a Turbo head for it, besides using a NovaRossi P5 Turbo head button and head (which will fit). It has "turbo" in the name, but it isn't a turbo engine. Get a stock head and run the snot out of it...You can choose from the black, purple, or the champange head...They are interchangable...
The Mach .21 head will fit and that takes a Turbo plug. The Mach .21 is the same engine except for sleeve and head. Most likely a lot cheaper than the Rossi head as well.
Old 08-06-2006, 03:48 AM
hn racing

dam i am very sad now as i am a racer at a very VERY tight trach witch you could probably get half revs max on the straight
Old 08-06-2006, 10:04 AM
J_Bone

ORIGINAL: hn racing

dam i am very sad now as i am a racer at a very VERY tight trach witch you could probably get half revs max on the straight
All you have to do is get a 14 or 15 tooth clutch bell to gear it for your track. You can also use stiffer clutch springs. I'm guessing you have 1.0's on your buggy so you can use 1.1's and that will help get the engine more RPM's out of the corners but the power will hit harder......hehe, which I like.
Old 08-06-2006, 03:58 PM
hn racing

thanks very much j bone
Old 08-07-2006, 11:32 AM
sly2136

we have a new hyper 8 with a hyper .21 8port engine and the thing runs great. break in was a little finiky as most engines are but after break in just set it and for get it type of tune. i set the motor up here at my home and we just raced it at a track 300 miles away and i didn't have to retune anything ran like a champ very consistant and fast. motor temps stayed around 200 degrees during 30 minutes mains and was pulling all the high end motors on the long straights. very highly recommeded.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:25 PM
mayyay502

my hyper 7 engine starts then when i hit the gas it shuts off can some one give me an idea whats wrong
thanks
Old 08-07-2006, 12:51 PM
john0087

my hyper 7 engine starts then when i hit the gas it shuts off can some one give me an idea whats wrong
Hard to say with so little information. Is it a brand new motor or one that you have been running for a while? Does it idle well and for 5-10 sec without stalling?

I would recomend going back to the factory recomended carb settings, replacing the plug and go from there.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:07 PM
john0087

Back to the topic...

I broke in and raced my new 8port this Saturday. Motor ran perfect all weekend. It was a little tight at first, needed to losen the glow plug to allow the starter box to turn it over, but I was also running it a little rich.

I broke it in using a method recomended in another forum. Heat cycle 5 times for 2-3 minutes running at about 180-200f, allowing it to completely cool between runs. Then heat cycle 5 times for 3-4 minutes running at 200-220f, allowing the motor to run through the rev range without going WOT and cooling completely bewteen runs.

I also set my mid range needle per Nitrohouse's recomendations in this thead.

By the main event, the motor was as quick as any in my class (one below sportsman and one above beginner - first time at the track and with a new car)

Also, for those worried about the weaker mid range. I found it quite nice. There was a rythem section that requred you to keep car to be at a constant speed to keep it on all four wheels. Acceleration or deceleration would upset the car. The smooth(abiet weaker) mid range let me accelerate to a good speed then keep it there to let the chassi do the work over the rythem. Others with more powerful motors kept getting out of shape due to constant acceleration and then letting off the throttle and would end up kartwheeling across the section.

HTH

John
Old 08-07-2006, 03:57 PM
Nitrohouse

ORIGINAL: mason Bierer

thanks
Look for my post above about the midrange needle. Yours is out of alignment, or thats what I think it is...Check it and post what you find...
Old 08-07-2006, 04:03 PM
Nitrohouse

You will want to gear down for tight tracks, not up...So you will want to run 13t bells or even a 12t for really short tracks. I recommend using 1.1 springs for the clutch, it will give the engine all the punch you will need...

Have Fun...Burn Nitro...
Old 08-07-2006, 04:28 PM
Nitrohouse

ORIGINAL: john0087

Back to the topic...

I broke in and raced my new 8port this Saturday. Motor ran perfect all weekend. It was a little tight at first, needed to losen the glow plug to allow the starter box to turn it over, but I was also running it a little rich.

I broke it in using a method recomended in another forum. Heat cycle 5 times for 2-3 minutes running at about 180-200f, allowing it to completely cool between runs. Then heat cycle 5 times for 3-4 minutes running at 200-220f, allowing the motor to run through the rev range without going WOT and cooling completely bewteen runs.

I also set my mid range needle per Nitrohouse's recomendations in this thead.

By the main event, the motor was as quick as any in my class (one below sportsman and one above beginner - first time at the track and with a new car)

Also, for those worried about the weaker mid range. I found it quite nice. There was a rythem section that requred you to keep car to be at a constant speed to keep it on all four wheels. Acceleration or deceleration would upset the car. The smooth(abiet weaker) mid range let me accelerate to a good speed then keep it there to let the chassi do the work over the rythem. Others with more powerful motors kept getting out of shape due to constant acceleration and then letting off the throttle and would end up kartwheeling across the section.

HTH

John
Great post John....Looking forward to hearing more...

Have Fun...Burn Nitro...
Old 08-07-2006, 09:56 PM
J_Bone

You will want to gear down for tight tracks, not up...So you will want to run 13t bells or even a 12t for really short tracks. I recommend using 1.1 springs for the clutch, it will give the engine all the punch you will need...

Have Fun...Burn Nitro...
Oops....I gave the wrong info. I went the wrong direction......[:-] Sorry.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:12 PM
Nitrohouse

ORIGINAL: J_Bone

Have Fun...Burn Nitro...
Oops....I gave the wrong info. I went the wrong direction......[:-] Sorry.
Got your back my friend...All is good...

Old 04-04-2007, 02:32 AM
kupaloids

I was able to get hold of a used 20e carb. Can anybody tell me the base settings of this 3 needle carb? Thanks.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:03 AM
jonnymac

The 20E is a 2 needle carb.
The stock settings are HSN 3 turns out from fuly closed. LSN is slightly in from fush (about 1 turn).
Its a good little carb, keep it safe
Old 04-04-2007, 03:48 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good little engine. Mine's still going strong...top end screamers...

Hincappe, welcome to my ignored users list, you join an exclusive group of people (only 5 since I joined this forum), whom I have deemed such trolls as not to be worthy of my wasted life reading their pointless posts. Congratulations.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:31 AM
kupaloids

ORIGINAL: jonnymac

The 20E is a 2 needle carb.
The stock settings are HSN 3 turns out from fuly closed. LSN is slightly in from fush (about 1 turn).
Its a good little carb, keep it safe
Thanks a lot. I just figured out last night that it's a 2 needle carb .
Old 04-05-2007, 03:26 PM
Nik.

what do you guys mean by 'lacking' bottom end? Its not good there at all? My tracks is short and technical, so it wouldnt be a good choice?
Old 04-05-2007, 03:49 PM
jonnymac

Its OK bottom end but no more than that. It makes most of its power at high revs.
If you have a short technical track then be looking at different engines.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.