Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Protos buggy Questions??

Old 07-05-2006, 03:23 PM
Bash-m-up
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Protos buggy Questions??

Hello all, I am just curious to know. Does anyone know anything about this buggy? It's the Protos RTR by Robitronics, 1/8th scale buggy powered by an Axial .28 engine. It seems pretty good but I was wondering if anyone here has heard anything about them?. Thanks for any insight.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:27 PM
annie_himself

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Protos buggy Questions??

BAD buggy, very budget oriented.
Old 07-06-2006, 02:22 PM
Bash-m-up
My Feedback: (7)

Is that a BAD as in good or BAD as in terrible? I seen it in the LHS and it seems to be pretty budget in a sence, but at 300 bucks I didn't know, I am only looking at bashing around at a BMX track, school yards, streets, etc. So with that in mind, I wouldn't ever seriously race it, just meerly try to have fun as a first nitro buggy. I've got onroads, and MT's, but was wanting a cheap but nice buggy. That seemed to fit the picture, but never heard anything about them and the LHS seemed pretty hyped on it. If you guys have anyother suggestions that may fit the bill please let me know, I would really like to have one my LHS carries parts for, I do enough online ordering for my MT's and really don't want to go through that for a basher. Thanks again for all of your imputs.
Old 07-07-2006, 03:32 AM
RC30GTR

BAD... come on... plastic shock towers and over priced....
Old 07-13-2006, 12:31 AM
morkendi

good motor, bad buggy.... but motor sells around 200 to 250 alone. I got axial 32 in my truck, and is awsome. Good support from axial to
Old 11-17-2006, 03:46 PM
okieneck

All,
Lets see if I get this correct.. The Protos has plastic towers and thats BAD, but my monster truck has plastic towers and thats GOOD???? I would say, go ahead and buy/try one, I am for this upcoming Christmas.. All I hear is how bad "budget" minded buggies and trucks are (Duratrax, RD Logics, etc.) but the X-Rays and top $$$ rides are the greatest on earth.. I'm sure they are all that good and then some, but some of us have a family to feed and house to pay for, we can't drop 6 bills plus on the lastest and greatest thing at our LHS.. I run an RC18T with all plactic and just LOVE it.pretty much bone-stock and have never really had any problems w/ it..
Good Luck and when I by my Robitronics Protos, I'll send photos and reviews...
OKieneck
Old 11-17-2006, 04:16 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Keep in mind the budget might be cheaper to begin with but in the long run what is it going to cost you. There are quite a few much better buggies out for around $300 to $350. Now people talk about plastic shock towers on there MT and many others but they are not exposed like on a buggy!
Old 11-18-2006, 09:52 AM
badtoad454

As you all know i have one and i can tell you it doesent make a difference, theyer as thick as a savage and will take some serios abuse.Yes its a cheeper buggy and you will half to put some better parts in it but youll half to do it for most buggys. Ive put about 120$ into it so far and at total of 415 $ it performs as good as anyother buggy , with a few better parts. Its hard to judge a book by its cover.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42856.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	562398  
Old 11-18-2006, 10:10 AM
mozzzy_2000

interesting! I have never seen this buggy. I have never heard of plastic towers on a buggy? That to seems odd but I have never seen one so my opinion means nothing there. However I am familiar with the axial engine and that rocks. That 28 sells for $280Aus here in Aus. Massive amounts of power so the buggy would have to be pretty robust to handle all that power.
But it for the price you pay plus the upgrades, you can purchase a "better" buggy with all the fruit included. But each to their own & as I said, I have never even heard of this buggy until now.
Old 11-18-2006, 11:52 AM
thopper

Buy the SHO.
Old 11-18-2006, 12:13 PM
46u

ORIGINAL: badtoad454

As you all know i have one and i can tell you it doesent make a difference, theyer as thick as a savage and will take some serios abuse.Yes its a cheeper buggy and you will half to put some better parts in it but youll half to do it for most buggys. Ive put about 120$ into it so far and at total of 415 $ it performs as good as anyother buggy , with a few better parts. Its hard to judge a book by its cover.

How many different buggies have you driven and where any of them higher end buggies? The only thing I added to my buggy kit was what did not come with it like the engine and radio and better tires.
Old 11-18-2006, 12:18 PM
mozzzy_2000

yeah case in point. Sometimes its better to spend a bit more cash on something that has all the fruit to start with. But each to their own I suppose. The Sho mentioned above is a great buggy. I think its rebranded the Nanda swift & the schumacher swift but I may be wrong on that. It definately started out as the PRP swift.
Old 11-18-2006, 02:37 PM
46u

Please understand I am not knocking the buggy as I have never own one. I like to see what others base their opinion on so that is why I asked. So far I have only owned one buggy the Hyper 8 so I cannot say about the buggy in question. I do hang around with others that have owned many different buggies so when they give me their opinion on the ones they owned I value their opinion.

Is this buggy in question competitive with the higher end buggies and has it ever won any big races?
Old 11-18-2006, 03:22 PM
badtoad454

Well to answer u46 , as far as any big races i highly dought it . In stock form its a pos , with great top speed ,no truning ability and no breaks unless you count a full stop from speed at 30 ft good ! Yes i have driven just about all other buggys and inturn the owners of thoues buggys have driven mine, in races and not. Yes , with my current setup the only buggy i have a prolblem with is the losi 8. I got a second with it my first time out and there was 3 pro drivers there, all were practicing for a race down south . They each drove the protos cause like most , theyve never seen it befor and all were impressed . As a matter of fact everyone there wanted to and did drive it and all liked it or so they sed. All i am saying is that the protos can be made to race and race well, thanks to all the info ive found here . This thing is only 2660 g, thats about 6 1/2 lbs with the axail .28 . It can pass any buggy on a strait even the 8s, witch are top dog most of the time.The only thing really different about this buggy is the big plastic parts and the name.When you get down to it its made good, just needs some help. I know this wont solve anything, people will stick with what they know and question what they dont .But ill be happy to let anyone drive it in a race so they can make a actuial assment of it.
Old 11-19-2006, 02:46 AM
badtoad454

How many (if any) people own a Protos buggy on RCU ?
Old 06-25-2007, 10:15 AM
Ravenzz

I have one and really enjoy driving it. Yes you have to make a few changes like the diff oils, shock oils but thats all I have changed so far on it and it does really well in races. Granted im still learning about the driving aspect but in the Novice group the car stays with the more expensive ones pretty good.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:43 AM
SManMTB

Can someone explain the horizontal springs on the rear suspension?
Old 11-08-2007, 11:59 PM
Dokioto

Hmm, this doesn't sound to bad. I think I might end up getting one. Is their any problems with the drive-train (I hope they didn't go "budget" there).
Old 11-09-2007, 07:37 AM
annie_himself

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd like to see a Pro version, but the RTR isn't worth it in my opinion.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:42 AM
Dawman
My Feedback: (33)

I`ll second that . There is a guy that races one with us and he keeps up with the fast guys, has had some wins with it and has never broke a thing on it , well he did go through a set of clutch bearings . The buggy hold up wells and it`s typical for people here to look down at it because it is a cheaper buggy . I drove it for a few laps and it`s not bad at all . The buggy is durable and remember winning is 90% the driver , not the buggy .
Old 11-09-2007, 02:09 PM
zjwhitrock

thav got a buget buggy battle in the dec issue of RCCA i was looking at geting one too
its only 6 lbs almost 2-3 lbs lighter than any other one

Can someone explain the horizontal springs on the rear suspension
i second that
Old 11-09-2007, 08:43 PM
vnmsgt

I have one that I bought as a roller but my axial motor I was going to put in it is being warranteed. The shock towers may be plastic but they are thick as hell! I own a robitronics mantis and it is the most durable car I have and the protos has alot of the same drivetrain. I think it is very well made and you should be happy with it. I would not hesitate to buy anything robitronics makes. Buy the way robitronics just came out with the aluminum shock towers for it and it looks awesome with them!
Old 11-10-2007, 09:06 AM
Da Smak
Banned

The Robitronics buggy is a sound starter buggy IMO, I tested one about 6 months ago and was quite impressed with how well it took the tumbles, I was hesitantat first about the plastic towers, but it was a warm day and if you did manage to get it upside down, they would flexa little, but did not break. They also help keep the weight down, this is a really light buggy for an RTR, but should you be worried about the towers then there are alloy ones available. But for £150 you really are buying an engine and geting the radio and chassis thrown in for free. Go buy it, it's good value and not all the top end buggies can take the knocks that the Robi can.
Old 11-10-2007, 03:29 PM
Dokioto

Looks great in the pics- http://www.robitronic-usa.com/images.../protostop.jpg

After about a week of researching it, I haven't found any problems with it. Defiantly going to get one soon (I can find parts for it so that helps).
Old 11-11-2007, 12:26 AM
mdtang
My Feedback: (63)

Hello,

I do not own one but was thinking about buying one after reading the article in the new RC Driver as well as RC Car Action. Both have great articles about $300 buggys. The Proto was High on my list because it came with A high torque servo for the stearing as well as the Axiel motor. Everyone knows that this motor is SICK> in a good way. The fact that the Protos have a FM radio with a LCD display makes it a great buy for the buck. I might be wrong but I think that the shock towers are painted flat black but are not plastic. Even so. This is a cheap fix and well worth the $280 that you can get one for. I say go for it and dog the hell out of it. You at least come away with a great starter buggy with nice equiptment.

I myself opted to buy The new Turmoil by Sportwerks. Great buggy with alot of great equiptment. The Spectrum radio was the selling point for me.

Here are a few Ideas of RTR buggys to look at. Not to race but great to get started with. All are around 300 bucks.

Hyper 7
Protos
Ofna LX
Terminator
Raze only the NEW one. (updated front servo)
HB4
SHO

Just a few in no real order. My pick would be the proto from this bunch then the Hyper 7.
Hope I can be of help.
MD[8D]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.