Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Ofna models confusing!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 11:23 AM
jasonjax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ofna models confusing!

Ok there is the Ofna LX Comp, Comp II, Hyper7, Hyper8 etc etc etc.

Can an Ofna guru run down the MAJOR differences between the various models besides the obvious cost factor?? I'm trying to decide which to buy and the differences are kinda confusing.

Thanks a bunch whoever answers this!
Old 08-14-2006, 11:40 AM
kx250ryder

Default RE: Ofna models confusing!

OFNA is U.S. distributor (not maker, creator, or any thing else) of two different lines of buggy.

Approximately newest/best to worst (separated by brand):

Hong Nor: Jammin X1-CR FTE, Jammin X1-CR, Jammin X1-RTR, 9.5 Pro, 9.5 MBX, Ravager (9.5) RTR, 9.5 C-HUB RTR, 9.5 KP Violator RTR, Ultra LX Comp 2 RTR, Ultra LX Comp RTR, Ultra MBX Comp RTR, MBX R2

Hobao: Hyper 8, Hyper 7 TQ Pro, Hyper 7 PCR Pro, Hyper 7 Pro, Hyper 7 TQ Sport, Hyper 7 PBS RTR, Hyper 7 RTR

There are only 4 basic platforms: Hong Nor's Jammin, 9.5, Ultra, and Hobao's Hyper series. The reason there are so many different models is the way that those platforms are outfitted. There are 3 basic suspension types c-hub, MBX or PBS (pivot ball suspension in Hobao's case, same thing, different name), and kingpin (used on Violator, and Ultra Comps not listed as MBX). There is a toss up between which is better of c-hub and MBX(PBS) styles, but it is pretty much universally agreed that kingpin is lower on the totem pole in terms of durability and performance.

The other primary difference is the materials the kit is constructed with. Kits labelled Pro (or CR in the case of Jammin), are going to be constructed with lighter weight, stronger materials, which would normally be expensive upgrades for the base kits or RTR models. There is a reason why a kit with no motor, radio, or servos will cost as much or more than a complete RTR. Its because the RTR has to have the car itself cheapened in quality to be able to keep the same price point.
Old 08-14-2006, 11:53 AM
David D

Kx nailed that perfectly, but i would like to add what do you plan on doing with the buggy? If your racing the hyper 8 or the Jammin x1 are the way to go. If you plan on just bashing around the yard then you don't need that expensive of a buggy, and something like the ravager will work perfect.
Old 08-14-2006, 12:02 PM
razzor

ORIGINAL: David D

Kx nailed that perfectly, but i would like to add what do you plan on doing with the buggy? If your racing the hyper 8 or the Jammin x1 are the way to go. If you plan on just bashing around the yard then you don't need that expensive of a buggy, and something like the ravager will work perfect.
All of the above .... but like the David D says look at application.
For bashing any thing goes.
For racing , Pro kits and in the case of RTR kits look at specs on box as some have a wider wheel base that is not legal for racing.
Also check with local club on what they allow or not.
Old 08-14-2006, 12:48 PM
jasonjax

Awesome responses guys. Thanks for taking the time.

Like many I am planning on bashing with the idea of maybe racing in the future. BUT I intend to buy a bash quality only kit and IF I get into racing realize I will need to buy a whole new setup to be competitive.

I did want to stay with a buggy that has parts availability even for bashing, and it appears that OFNA brands are well stocked both at the LHS and availability on the internet.

Thanks again for the replies.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:44 PM
MMAdieselTECH

I just got a ravager and am way impressed with it already. with a few choice hop ups (rear/center cvd's aluminum fr/rr chassis brace, and some tuning) now you've got a 9.5 c-hub race car for short money (less upgrading radio/possibly engine) i know you can drop mad loot on a tweaked out .21 race motor. but for bashing around the .28 is more than enough. i'm not even broken in yet, but set the car hard into a corner and it will pull the front inside tire right off the ground.

they did a great job hiding the 9.5 in disguise, with all the big money choice hop ups picked for you already!

Sooooooooo glad i cancelled my order for that duratrax Raze!
Old 08-24-2006, 09:40 AM
stikxs

Any chance someone has pics showing what a c-hub looks like and a pbs? What comes on the hyper7 tq sport?
Old 08-24-2006, 01:28 PM
kx250ryder

TQ Sport is c-hub equipped.

c-hub:

PBS (MBX):

kingpin:
Old 08-24-2006, 02:12 PM
stikxs

Awesome! Your posts rock lol. [8D]
Old 08-25-2006, 05:21 PM
bspate

ORIGINAL: kx250ryder

OFNA is U.S. distributor (not maker, creator, or any thing else) of two different lines of buggy.

Approximately newest/best to worst (separated by brand):

Hong Nor: Jammin X1-CR FTE, Jammin X1-CR, Jammin X1-RTR, 9.5 Pro, 9.5 MBX, Ravager (9.5) RTR, 9.5 C-HUB RTR, 9.5 KP Violator RTR, Ultra LX Comp 2 RTR, Ultra LX Comp RTR, Ultra MBX Comp RTR, MBX R2

Hobao: Hyper 8, Hyper 7 TQ Pro, Hyper 7 PCR Pro, Hyper 7 Pro, Hyper 7 TQ Sport, Hyper 7 PBS RTR, Hyper 7 RTR

There are only 4 basic platforms: Hong Nor's Jammin, 9.5, Ultra, and Hobao's Hyper series. The reason there are so many different models is the way that those platforms are outfitted. There are 3 basic suspension types c-hub, MBX or PBS (pivot ball suspension in Hobao's case, same thing, different name), and kingpin (used on Violator, and Ultra Comps not listed as MBX). There is a toss up between which is better of c-hub and MBX(PBS) styles, but it is pretty much universally agreed that kingpin is lower on the totem pole in terms of durability and performance.

The other primary difference is the materials the kit is constructed with. Kits labelled Pro (or CR in the case of Jammin), are going to be constructed with lighter weight, stronger materials, which would normally be expensive upgrades for the base kits or RTR models. There is a reason why a kit with no motor, radio, or servos will cost as much or more than a complete RTR. Its because the RTR has to have the car itself cheapened in quality to be able to keep the same price point.
Oh my.........I have been on these forums for a while and this is the best post I have read so far!!

.......incredible info!! Thanks!!

- bspate -
Old 09-28-2008, 07:24 PM
Nitro-4 Tec 3.3

hey guys i have 2 question, the difference between the ultra mbx and lx is the tipe of front suspension???[:-] and can i just change the front of the mbx for the lx??

thanks for any reply
Old 09-28-2008, 07:47 PM
Frozenshade

Yeah this thread is old...
Old 09-28-2008, 07:54 PM
A.B.U

Sweet, a 2 year old thread resurrected from the dead!!!