Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC 1/8th Scale Buggies
Reload this Page >

MR Ninja MR21 B01 5 port Off-Road Competition Buggy Engine

Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

MR Ninja MR21 B01 5 port Off-Road Competition Buggy Engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 02:15 PM
RcRacer37E

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: MR Ninja MR21 B01 5 port Off-Road Competition Buggy Engine

Hey nitro, your one of the reasons I picked this engine up. Ive only seen 2 maybe 3 reviews on this engine and I hope to add mine to it once I get track time with it (tonight). Didi you need to add a shim between the collet and block? I did, it just felt like big terp 77 problem, and once the shim was added in broke in with ease (only 6 tanks now through it so still on the break in so to speak).
So far Im loven this engine, even the cooling head, I just wish the eyes were a bright yellow or red, add to the mean look.
Old 08-18-2006, 02:25 PM
Nitrohouse

ORIGINAL: nascardad24

Hey nitro, your one of the reasons I picked this engine up. Ive only seen 2 maybe 3 reviews on this engine and I hope to add mine to it once I get track time with it (tonight). Didi you need to add a shim between the collet and block? I did, it just felt like big terp 77 problem, and once the shim was added in broke in with ease (only 6 tanks now through it so still on the break in so to speak).
So far Im loven this engine, even the cooling head, I just wish the eyes were a bright yellow or red, add to the mean look.
No I didn't need to add the shim for break in. Mine broke in effortlessly, and has ran perfectly since...

I always put at least one washer behind the collet to eliminate the chance of the flywheel breaking the front bearing seal...

Have Fun...Burn Nitro...
Old 08-18-2006, 05:45 PM
big terp 77

thx, i'll definetly check it out. i am 99% sure that the flywheel wasn't rubbing against the block though. do i need to do anything else before i get it going? i made sure to clean it out because i've heard the horror stories. i know its supposed to be tight, but every revolution it gets jammed up on tdc. just in case, could it be anything else?
Old 08-18-2006, 11:26 PM
RcRacer37E

yeah and no...lol I didnt use the second shim under the head, was talking about 1 behind the collet. That should fix your troubles there big terp 77.
Well, I have to report that my pit table had everyone checking out the new engine, Im the only one running it, and I had the second fastest lap, qualified 3 for the main and finished last, seems someone forgot to change the hump pack and it went dead. I think I was the one to blame for that...lol
It ran great all night long though, didnt touch the settings at all and it ran between 220 and 230 on 20% nitro. Very happy with this engine, so much so on payday Im getting another one before the stock is out.
I cant think of anything eles big terp 77, might use a small shim behind the collet. Mine only hung up 3 maybe 4 times tops. I did spin it on the box with the plug out and a small amout of fuel in it, no more than 30 sec though, then tossed the plug in and begun the break in runs.
Once it gets going, your going to love this engine for sure.
Keep us posted.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:47 AM
big terp 77

i'm going to get a chance to try it again tomorrow. i used a shim behind the collet and i'm also going to try to get it started by using another shim. it seems like im going to get better torque with from my flywheel to get it going. at least i hope so! so far it seems to be set pretty good, at least the clutch feels like it should. thx for all of your help, hopefully i can finally get this thing going. i just hope i didn't fubar the engine up with losing my temper. what is the best way to get so it sets perfectly on the starte box?
Old 08-23-2006, 09:37 AM
clone3

that motor likes the temps to run in the 260's---use a hair dryer and a temp gun on the break-in get the motor to 220-230 befor you bump it---------This will help -It will also take alot of streese off the rod(very good thing)---once up and running wrap the head in allumn foil and keep the temps up in the 220-240------after a few tanks you can start to lean the high end --------as the temps start to climb past the 240's take off the foil and start to race tune the motor. Make sure to let the motor cool all the way down between tanks and that you keep the piston at BDC+. These motors are ready for the track after 1/2 gallon of fuel go throu them but you will see a large gain in performance as you get 1 to 1 1/2 gallon in it( The temp will drop 10-20 deg when you hit the sweet spot). Dont tune to temps but that motor will purr like a kitten at 260-270. good luck
Old 08-23-2006, 04:10 PM
JJJEEEFFFFFF

take the glow plug out, put a drop or two of ARO on top of the piston. Prime the fuel to the carb, heat the engine, turn the flywheel backwards till just before it starts to stick. put a rag over the head so you don't spray oil and fuel every where. slowly push down on the starter box and let the wheel get upto speed then try and turn it over. this should get it spinning and with in a 10-15 seconds you'll here the the starter box start speeding up. stop turn the motor backwards again put the glow plug in loosley start it and tighten up the the glow plug as you juggle with the revs trying not to stall it. see how that goes and probably want be as easy as i wrote it but that should help you out.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:31 PM
RcRacer37E

well put, skip the shim under head, its not needed. Once you past tank 2 it shouldnt stick to bad, hand alone should free it. I have another on the way, get it now before everyone wants one.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:16 PM
dryvr

I bought a second ninja B01 too! FYI! The Ninja MR21 B01 has a dished piston [>:]. Incase no one here knew. Too cool!
Old 08-24-2006, 05:08 AM
RcRacer37E

hmm, there you go, I just learned somthing new today and Ive been awake all of about 15 min. Yeah, very cool, I almost got the 7 port till I noticed it stated on road.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:54 AM
trackman

what fuel are you guys running in the ninja? im getting ready to switch fuels and havent decided what to
use on the ninja.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:34 AM
dryvr

I'm running Sidewinder 30% World Championship blend and I'm running temps between 215 and 235 degrees. It varies because I race in Florida and Alabama. Sea level, humidity, air density, etc..........
Old 08-25-2006, 05:29 AM
RcRacer37E

20% byrons here and it has plenty of power.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:30 AM
trackman

just finished the break in this weekend and im very impressed with the ninja. its easier to drive than
the p5, has a real smooth power band. it feels like it has a lot more top end than the p5. if i had the
cash i also would be buying one for back up. awesome motor!
Old 09-15-2006, 08:14 AM
MugenSickly

I started breaking this engine in last night with Losi 20%, and an orion 2shoe clutch.

I didnt have much trouble starting it, it didnt want to idle right away, because of the tightness at the top. had to fiddle and restart during first tank, but by the third run (not tank) it was running and idling nicely.

There is something that concerns me thus far. It appears to be rich, it has fuel/smoke all the way through the bands, and its running between 195 230 for my heat cycles, but im using so little fuel its crazy. I ran for about 5 minutes, very rich, and when I stopped the car to let it cool, I still had around half a tank.

My other engines are a RB S7, a p5 rex, and an axial 32 in my truggy. They gargle the fuel, especially on break in, but this one isnt using much. Is this engine known to be a fuel economical engine? Or could the settings be fooling me as to how lean it is. Its getting fuel, and its not getting too hot, even with the foil on for the first two runs, it didnt clear 210.

Overall it has a distinctive hum to it. I have a jp1 on it, which seems decent. Anyone have a jp3 on this engine? Is the ninja pipe really that great with this engine?

cioa
m2
Old 09-15-2006, 09:39 AM
trackman

mugen i thought the same on my break in. during my heat cycle fuel seemed to last a long time. once i
got it on the track i richened it up a lot. it has right at a gallon thru it now, temp is around 230 and its
almost getting 7 min run time. im using a jp2 and it seems to do just fine. im very happy with the
performance, just hope it has a long life.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:17 AM
gtsum

Thought I would update this old thread...I have recently run in my ninja and tried different pipe/header combo's with it. Bottom line is the 053 pipe and header performs better then the JP-1 with long and short header, and the Ninja pipe. The 053 provides plenty of grunt and a good top end...
Old 03-01-2007, 01:10 PM
nacodeblue
My Feedback: (8)

Does anyone know the difference between the mr.21bo1 and the mr.21bo1a engines??
Old 03-01-2007, 07:48 PM
gtsum

The a is the newer version...something to do with durability, but I am not sure what is exactly different
Old 03-02-2007, 12:28 AM
nacodeblue
My Feedback: (8)

thanks gtsum, just curious how they think they can improve an extremely reliable power plant anyways. I have a bo1 that has 6 gallons thru it and still has exact compression it did when it was new ( use compressing guage). Hope the bo1a treats me the same.
Old 04-07-2007, 03:59 PM
reddayz

Hi there
First of all great forum you guys have here.
I have a Ninja MR21-B01A and it came from factory with three shims to increase the combustion chamber. Now that I´ve done the break-in do you guys advise me to take some shims out? Im using Byron 25% nitro.
How much shims do you use in your Ninja?
Thanks a lot for your help
Best regards

Nuno
Old 04-07-2007, 06:09 PM
gtsum

I run the stock shims with 30% - the engines come from the factory shimmed for 30%, so I have not changed it
Old 04-08-2007, 05:19 PM
reddayz

Thanks for your awnser m8
I use 25% Nitro so do u think that I should take one of the three shims?

Thanks a lot
Old 04-09-2007, 05:33 PM
reddayz

Anyone please???
Old 04-09-2007, 07:54 PM
Roughrider

Dayz, I run the stock shims in mine with 20% Sidewinder and it has all of the power that I will ever need!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.