Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC 1/8th Scale Buggies
Reload this Page >

V-Spec cutting out at High RPM - ??

Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

V-Spec cutting out at High RPM - ??

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 09:51 PM
tonytiger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: V-Spec cutting out at High RPM - ??

the cure for all this is called " novarossi p5"
Old 10-17-2006, 05:19 AM
Da Smak
Banned

ORIGINAL: CJKinney

What do you make on the stalling?
I think your still too lean overall, in your weather conditions and those temps you say you have, I just think that mill has cooked itself. You could try a hoter plug which will allow you to run a little richer.
Old 10-19-2006, 03:18 AM
scdrj

My son runs a V-spec in his XB8R. On two different occasions, noticed it stalling at idle and spudering at higher RPM. As a matter of fact, it would not turn high RPM. Screwed around with adjustments. Looked at the glow plug. Checked the tank, lines, and exhaust gaskets. Nothing?!@# So, I rebuilt the carb. Still had the problem. At this point I was guessing!

I replaced the glow plug, and the problem went away. The old plug looked fine except the top coil looked slightly thicker than the rest of the coils. When ignited, the whole thing glow except for the top loop.

The motor started this again last month. I just changed the plug and it ran fine.

Just thought I would share.
Old 10-19-2006, 03:32 AM
vti-chris

Now that you mention it...it happened to me too when i first got the v-spec.
One day it run great the other day it needed a new plug with no reason.The "old" one was LIKE NEW when removed from the engine and it run max 5-6 tanks of fuel.Don't know why it did that...then i moved from P3 and P6 plugs to SH and collari 6-7 plugs and all work fine since.

ORIGINAL: scdrj

My son runs a V-spec in his XB8R. On two different occasions, noticed it stalling at idle and spudering at higher RPM. As a matter of fact, it would not turn high RPM. Screwed around with adjustments. Looked at the glow plug. Checked the tank, lines, and exhaust gaskets. Nothing?!@# So, I rebuilt the carb. Still had the problem. At this point I was guessing!

I replaced the glow plug, and the problem went away. The old plug looked fine except the top coil looked slightly thicker than the rest of the coils. When ignited, the whole thing glow except for the top loop.

The motor started this again last month. I just changed the plug and it ran fine.

Just thought I would share.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:57 PM
CJKinney

I just checked out the plug in my v-spec and looks similar to what scdrj described. The top coil appears slightly bigger compared to a new plug. I am running the P3 as well. When I light up the old plug, the top coil doesn't glow as well, however the new plug I have lights the same. VTI-Chris, you say you use a collari 6 or 7 plug? How does the heat range of those plugs compare to the OS P3's? Perhaps I should give a different plug a try. Perhaps these P3 plugs suck.
It is a bit early for me to make any major conclusions, I haven't had much track time to continue my saga as the weather is not cooperating. I probably need to richen up on the HSN and find that sweet spot.
Grahama89, I don't believe the mill has cooked itself (has not run long enough a high temp, never been over 270°F), but you may be right about needing a hotter plug.
Many people at the track have stated that tuning at 6300ft altitude is a chore, at least with a performance series of motor. I have been in tuning hell before with an Ofna/Picco 7 port .12, but my four other motors/cars I have had in the past were a breeze.
What temps is everyone running on their v-spec's and what plug are you using?
Old 10-19-2006, 08:35 PM
JJJEEEFFFFFF

I struggle to get it above 100 celcius (212f) and the p3 plug has always done the job for me in two v-specs. i run 30% nitro and 10% oil but i'm about 6000ft lower then you are and in a different hemisphere.

I'ld put a new plug in put it back to factory tune the top, then tune the bottom and it should all be good. What fuel are you using nitro%/oil%
Old 10-19-2006, 09:02 PM
CJKinney

I am running 20% nitro, 14% oil content (eliminator fuel). I have thought about starting over with 30% nitro.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:00 AM
vti-chris

I suppose you run the WILD-CAT fuel right?

My brother runs the same fuel as you do with an sh 7 plug in the summer(110F).A P3 in this weather is out of the question,TOO hot.

In the winter we run the P6 with ambient temp around 60F-70F.

What are your ambient temps over there?
Check your tuned pipe as well...mine was cut on the silicone cup that joints of the header and the exhaust and slided in the way of the exhaust stream and it was difficult to tune until i saw the oil and fuel coming out of that spot.
Old 10-20-2006, 03:32 AM
scdrj

Well, if it is your plug, you have been wasting your time trying to tune it. I agree with Jeff, replace the plug. We have always run the P3. The only bad thing I can say is it is too expensive. We run Trinity Monster 20%. We have run this year in FEB when it was 40F to AUG 109F. We run the motor between 240-270F. We are at 1000 ft.

By the way, I personally hate Wild Cat fuel. It has worked very poorly for me. Also, the caster blend they use clogs the fuel line and carb while in storage for only a couple of weeks. YMMV
Old 10-20-2006, 06:36 AM
CJKinney

The ambient temps here at the time of tuning was 50°F to 60°F. It can get into the 90's in the middle of summer, but typical summer temps are 75°F to 85°F. I imagine the ambient temps for the rest of the year (track time wise) will be in the low to mid 50's. Perhaps a P6 will be a better choice for the rest of this year.
You know, come to think of it, I have seen the fuel line plugging issue as well on my Revo - after a period of storage.
Fuel choice is limited around here, with a small local shop present out of someones garage, and a Hobbytown USA in Fort Collins, Colorado (45 min away). I believe they carry Wild-Cat(which I run), Traxxas Top Fuel, Trinity Monster and Blue Thunder.
The local garage-shop carries White Lightning. I have not been there, but I see guys at the track running it, although they use 30% nitro with 8% oil content. A little low on the oil content, I thought.
I will check the gaskets for failure. I am using a JP-1 brought over from a Mayhem I have had; it has had a couple of miles on it.