Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Racing temps. whats safe to you?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 11:08 AM
kingofthehill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Racing temps. whats safe to you?

i like to keep it around 230-250, whats your temps?

JOe
Old 10-26-2006, 11:13 AM
RCtruckRacer

Default RE: Racing temps. whats safe to you?

Don't tune by temperature, you'll just end up shortening the life of your engine. I've been in conditions where my engines would be to lean, or too rich at those temps. Although I will say more often than not, those are around my avg temps for almost all my nitro trucks.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:17 AM
bigbadbowtie

I don't use a temp gun often but when I do temps rarely exceed 270. I have had engines run at 300 with no adverse affects.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:19 AM
Da Smak
Banned

ORIGINAL: RCtruckRacer

Don't tune by temperature, you'll just end up shortening the life of your engine. I've been in conditions where my engines would be to lean, or too rich at those temps. Although I will say more often than not, those are around my avg temps for almost all my nitro trucks.
Max temp depends on ambient temp, I've had days when after a hard round it's still just touching 160'F yet the buggy performs to it's top.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:24 AM
RCtruckRacer

At 160F you are not getting hot enough to fully expand the sleeve. Extended runs at those temps might shorten the life of the engine, as the pinch will be wearing out prematurely. Everything I've ever read, and the years I've been running tell me you need to be over 200F, regardless of the ambient temperature.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:37 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

I run anywhere between 220 and 280. I agree to cold is just as bad as to hot and you need to tune to performance as long as it is in the above range.
Old 10-26-2006, 02:08 PM
Da Smak
Banned

ORIGINAL: RCtruckRacer

At 160F you are not getting hot enough to fully expand the sleeve. Extended runs at those temps might shorten the life of the engine, as the pinch will be wearing out prematurely. Everything I've ever read, and the years I've been running tell me you need to be over 200F, regardless of the ambient temperature.
Running at over 200'f would have required over leaning of the engine and the consiquences that come with that are poor lubrication and thrown rods, take your pick but I go with the cooler engine. If you are as experienced as you claim then you would too.
Old 10-26-2006, 02:23 PM
bigbadbowtie

I have seen engines that were run to cool with the lining pealed off the inside of the sleeve. I have also seen this cause premature wear on the P/S

I think thats a negative affect ot the HUGE aftermarket heatsinks you see. It requires leaning the engine WAY out in order to get up to temp.
Old 10-26-2006, 02:27 PM
RCtruckRacer

ORIGINAL: Grahama89

Running at over 200'f would have required over leaning of the engine and the consiquences that come with that are poor lubrication and thrown rods, take your pick but I go with the cooler engine. If you are as experienced as you claim then you would too.
If I had a problem like that, I would wrap some foil around the head. But, I have run in outside temps of near 30F and never had to lean it out too much - being as how the oxygen content in the atmosphere is super dense at that temp. If you run in Northern AK, I could see the possible need for some foil or similar.
Old 10-26-2006, 02:52 PM
Super_Dave

Run it how it wants to run. Some manufactures recommend running them 300+ (like the phantom .18 which was an awesome engine). The absolute only time I used a temp gun is when I'm breaking an engine in.
Old 10-26-2006, 06:01 PM
jonnymac

I use temp guns from time to time, especially on break in but i dont tune by it.
Tune it so it runs good then check the temp. As long as its not way over about 290 or so i don't worry.
Old 10-26-2006, 06:35 PM
46u

Running to cool the metals in the engine have not gotten up to full expansion Being a motorcycle mechanic for over 30 years I know the harem running to cool can do to a engine but it is your engine if you are happy with it go for it.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:04 PM
Super_Dave

I'd rather run to cool then to lean but I'd deffinatly try to keep the temps over 200F. It depends a lot on what material the piston and sleeve is made of so just run your engine at whatever temp range it wants to run at.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:09 PM
46u

What engine is it?