Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC 1/8th Scale Buggies
Reload this Page >

Official Thread for the Go 21 Engine

Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Official Thread for the Go 21 Engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 08:46 AM
nucular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official Thread for the Go 21 Engine

Yes, the race version. Also, i did not have the additional shim installed. I put it in yesterday but haven't had time to try again. I am using O.S. P6 turbo Hot plugs too.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:04 AM
slayerphonics

ORIGINAL: nucular

Yes, the race version. Also, i did not have the additional shim installed. I put it in yesterday but haven't had time to try again. I am using O.S. P6 turbo Hot plugs too.
I'm debating on buying this engine, your post has me worried though []
Old 05-19-2008, 09:18 AM
nucular

well, don't worry too much yet. I have broken in several engines but this is my first 'race' class so it could be user error.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:15 AM
vnmsgt

I started breaking my 3 port in this weekend and was having a lot of trouble keeping it running for the 1st 2 break-in tanks. I had the HSN out 2 turns (according to the sheet that came with it) but i have heard other people say 1 turn out from flush which is a huge difference. It would stay running if i left the ignitor on it. The entire time it was just spitting fuel out the exhaust which tells me it was way too rich. I tried to turn the lsn in a little but then it would just run erratically. Are these pretty finicky during breakin?
I had to break mine in with the HSN 1 turn out. 2 turns out was too much and it would not idle and stall and blow fuel out real bad. Idled the 2 tanks and then ran 3 tanks and then leaned it a half turn so it was a half turn out from original and it was fine.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:28 AM
nucular

Was that 1 turn out or 1 turn out from factory? I was 2 turns out from bottom.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:50 PM
Jatohulk

Guys there is a company that sell little dail for the HSN and the LSN for these RC engine which are good for turing the engine. Anyone use them are the GO Tech engine and if you do what is the place to get them and the name of this product I can not remember..
Old 05-19-2008, 01:02 PM
vnmsgt

The way the motor comes out of the box you are supposed to back the needle out 1-2 turns from factory. I did 1 turn out from factory. If you are 2 turns out from bottom you are WAY too lean! You leave the needles alone except the what we just wrote about for break in.
Old 05-19-2008, 01:22 PM
Tree1

ORIGINAL: Jatohulk

Guys there is a company that sell little dail for the HSN and the LSN for these RC engine which are good for turing the engine. Anyone use them are the GO Tech engine and if you do what is the place to get them and the name of this product I can not remember..
Do you mean these dials?

I bought the dials from from Mark at RC Hardware.

http://rchardware.com/
Old 05-19-2008, 01:26 PM
nucular

ORIGINAL: vnmsgt

The way the motor comes out of the box you are supposed to back the needle out 1-2 turns from factory. I did 1 turn out from factory. If you are 2 turns out from bottom you are WAY too lean! You leave the needles alone except the what we just wrote about for break in.

That's what I would have thought but the spitting fuel leads me to believe differently.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:37 PM
nucular

You know, I should have thought of this earlier but I'm going to swap out the plug. It was new but who knows.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:53 PM
viper463

Holy crap 21 pages my eyes are about to bleed.. I decided to read this entire thread because the guy that mods my motors told me I should give them a try and I wanted more infomation.. So here are my questions.

1. those of you that have both the 5 and 7 port turbo how much of a difference is there in bottom end between them?
2. Has anyone put more than 6 gallons through there go tech and if so how is it holding up?
3. How many of you have gone to ceramic bearings and why did you switch?
4. Has anyone tried the THS 816 pipe with one of these engines if so how did it run?
Old 05-20-2008, 07:12 PM
JSRacer

Good questions!
Old 05-20-2008, 07:19 PM
viper463

JSracer where in indiana do you live I'm up by portage/ hobart
Old 05-21-2008, 04:01 PM
Vigilante212

The reason anyone switches to ceramic is they last longer run smoother and have less friction. I cant really answer the other questions, but I can give you an opinion on the 5 port. The 5 port has alot of torque. Even with my 086 pipe on and a 7mm carb insert I have to limit my throttle to keep from spinning out. Top end is really good too which surprised me a bit since I was able to keep up easily on the straights and most times outrun the faster engines since I get up to speed quicker.

On a really long straight(180 feet or more) It might be a problem, but i dont race on any track with straights that long anyway.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:43 PM
nucular

Well, I worked on another break-in tank of my 3-port R. I reverted the needles to what I read in the RC-Tech thread (just under flush on the HSN and a couple turns out on the LSN I think), I put in a new plug, and broke open a new gallon of ODonnells 30%. I was using a left over gallon of 20% from before winter - thought I stored it properly. I'm happy to report that it ran that tank exactly like I thought it should. It started right up, didnt die through the whole tank, and smoked perfectly. At this point I don't know if it was the fuel or the plug but one of them was bad.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:50 PM
vnmsgt

Well, I worked on another break-in tank of my 3-port R. I reverted the needles to what I read in the RC-Tech thread (just under flush on the HSN and a couple turns out on the LSN I think), I put in a new plug, and broke open a new gallon of ODonnells 30%. I was using a left over gallon of 20% from before winter - thought I stored it properly. I'm happy to report that it ran that tank exactly like I thought it should. It started right up, didnt die through the whole tank, and smoked perfectly. At this point I don't know if it was the fuel or the plug but one of them was bad.
Probably the fuel if it was before winter. Glad to hear you got it running good for break in.
Old 05-23-2008, 05:31 AM
ecocav04

i would try a p3 plug and keep a heat gun or blow dryer on the head to help keep the temps up. i could barely keep my engine running during break in it was so rich i would idle a tank in about 5 minutes. i currently bought a jammin 21 for my buggy to run outdoor but for indoors im buying a 3 port race to try out
Old 05-23-2008, 06:08 AM
vnmsgt

I run the OS P3's too like "ecocav04" and have no problems at all.
Old 05-23-2008, 07:55 AM
Vigilante212

ORIGINAL: ecocav04

i would try a p3 plug and keep a heat gun or blow dryer on the head to help keep the temps up. i could barely keep my engine running during break in it was so rich i would idle a tank in about 5 minutes. i currently bought a jammin 21 for my buggy to run outdoor but for indoors im buying a 3 port race to try out

wrap the head in tinfoil and put the cutoff end of an old sock on it it keep the temp up. It worked great for me kept my break in temps above 200 running really rich and I never stalled once.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:57 AM
CtK

I just got my Go Tech 5 Port engine and read the manual, it says to use 25-30% fuel??

I have a couple of gallons of O'donnel 20% left over, Can I use that??
Old 05-23-2008, 04:12 PM
*FULL-REVS*

i run both my "GO's" on 20% fuel and they are fine.... if you keep it on 20 remember to drop a head shim after break in.....
Old 05-23-2008, 10:11 PM
JSRacer

Remember to drop a head shim from 4 to 3 or 3 to 2 for 20%?
Old 05-25-2008, 12:32 PM
CtK

I am having a very hard time startin my GO .21 5pt engine for the first time.

I have it wrapped in foil and had a blow dryer on it for 20mins now
temp is around 200

turn the HSN out 1 turn

have the extra shim in there

loosen the glow plug

what else can I do??
Old 05-25-2008, 12:51 PM
Tree1

ORIGINAL: CtK

temp is around 200

turn the HSN out 1 turn

loosen the glow plug

what else can I do??
I had the same problem you are having. I put several drops of After-Run Oil in the glow plug hole and I kept the glow plug loose. I wrapped the head with foil and I bought a heat gun from Home Depot because a hair dryer was getting the engine head hot enough. I had to get the temps up to about 250 degrees F to finally get it to turn over. I also turned the flywheel clockwise just until I felt it have some resistance so the flywheel can get some momentum when it engages the starte box wheel.

The break-in process for a Go Tech engin can be frustrating but keep at it. You will be very happy with your engine once you get it running. Good Luck.
Old 05-25-2008, 02:06 PM
CtK

ORIGINAL: Tree1

ORIGINAL: CtK

temp is around 200

turn the HSN out 1 turn

loosen the glow plug

what else can I do??
I had the same problem you are having. I put several drops of After-Run Oil in the glow plug hole and I kept the glow plug loose. I wrapped the head with foil and I bought a heat gun from Home Depot because a hair dryer was getting the engine head hot enough. I had to get the temps up to about 250 degrees F to finally get it to turn over. I also turned the flywheel clockwise just until I felt it have some resistance so the flywheel can get some momentum when it engages the starte box wheel.

The break-in process for a Go Tech engin can be frustrating but keep at it. You will be very happy with your engine once you get it running. Good Luck.
I did go buy a heat gun from Home Depot and it actually got it to turn for a while but ill try putting some after run in the glow plug hole...thanks!!

also are you suppose to use a washer for the turbo plugs??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.