Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Dura Trax Raze

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 03:30 PM
BEARBYSR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dura Trax Raze

I am not sure 100% on that pipe, but I do have some Traxxas pipes that came to me without the mount end on it and I actually had to use the stock end to mount. If you look at the stock Raze pipe, I beleive you can unsrew the end off(it's like a little knob lookin piece) and if that new pipe you have has a spot on the end to put it, you may be able to use the stock pipe mount. Also, can't tell from your pic, but I have seen pipes that don't have a nipple to attach the fuel line to, it's just a hole in the pipe that you have to push the line into. This may totally not help you with your situation but that's all the experiance I have had with aftermarket pipes. Good luck and hopefully someone who knows for sure can help.
Old 04-11-2008, 05:23 PM
Allan Aguilar

Anyone tried a Raze's lightweight spur gear for their buggy. I wanted to know if this is more durable compared to stock.

Thanks
Old 04-11-2008, 09:44 PM
Calin666

Wow. That pipe looks a little, well....... weird to me. I think I might send it back, and get a JP or Dynamite pipe. I am lost when it comes to what you should do with that thing. I hope you can figure out how to mount it. I would still be a little skeptical of it though, since it doesn't have a spring type seal for where it joins the header. Every performance pipe I have seen uses the spring type seal to connect to the header. I dunno about that pipe. Then again, I also don't know anything about Paris tuned pipes. I have only seen the name a few times, I have read no reviews or comments on them either. For $26, I am SERIOUSLY skeptical.
Old 04-11-2008, 10:05 PM
Calin666

Allan, I have not tried the lightweight spur gear, and I do not know anybody that has.
However, I got into another conversation on another thread about a lightweight flywheel.
Using a lightweight flywheel/spur gear can have pros and cons.
In my opinion, it really depends on what type terrain you are running on.
If you are running on a somewhat flat surface, not too many turns, I think you might get a bit of an extra advantage out of it.
But if you are running on something with a lot of jumps, turns, bumps, in other words a rough terrain, I think it would be detrimental.
Reasons for this are torque.
A heavier spur gear/flywheel will give you more torque out of the corners, over jumps, and rough terrain, something you really need in those situations.
When using a lightweight setup, you won't get the kind of torque you would need for quick accelerations and power you would need, where as if it was a smooth track, not too many turns, and relatively flat, you would get up to top speed quicker.
A guy in the thread talking about the lightweight flywheel had a whole scientific explanation for the effects, but what I explained above is in layman's terms.
If you are just bashing, I don't think it would really matter a whole lot. If you are seriously racing though, it could be the difference between winning, and loosing.
Or, you could get it, just to say you had one. hehe
Hope that helps.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:22 AM
LeftyF

I took the car and Paris pipe down to my hobby shop and the guys there fabricated a new retainer and drilled it for the fuel line. They also refused any $$ for doing the work! I'm going to have to come up with a list of things I need to buy from these guys. As you can see from the pic, it now makes sense why they put the bracket on the top of the pipe. The new pipe is a bit longer than a standard 1/8th pipe and if you tried moving the bracket to the end it would go past the edge of the chassis:

I did some test runs with the new pipe on Saturday and it screams. I don't know how much stronger the engine is with this pipe but it's noticeably stronger. Thanks to all for the ideas!
Old 04-14-2008, 11:31 AM
Calin666

Glad you got it working!
After seeing how much longer the pipe is, you are right about having the mounting point on the top. Makes sense now.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:39 AM
Calin666

Looks like one of my posts got delete with the update, so here it is again...
I have a full set of Losi 8ight shocks on or order, and I am going to attempt to adapt them to the Raze. I don''t think it should be too difficult. Since they are a larger diameter, I may have to use some spacers where they attach to the shock tower.
If it just is not going to work, my LHs has agreed to give me store credit if I bring them back, which is good since at least that way I won''t be wasting $140.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:11 PM
241 racing
My Feedback: (20)

Glad to see you got it working,looks good too.I told you that you could make it work

Calin alot of my posts have been getting deleted aswell [:@] The site crashed the other day so there having server problems.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:34 PM
rcktpwrd

LeftF,

awesome to hear the local RC shop took care of you! [8D] The pipe looks pretty good in there too!
Old 04-14-2008, 04:16 PM
BEARBYSR

You have a great LHS to help ya like that, mine would have told me to buy a LOsi and sent me on my way[:@][:''(]
Old 04-15-2008, 12:46 PM
LeftyF

Yea, I'm sure if I'd gone to Hobby Town I'd have gotten a sales pitch on a different pipe (if not a different buggy). Just goes to show it's worth supporting your local hobby shop when you get this kind of service in return. For those in the Connecticut area the shop in question is Danbury Hobbies on Main Street in Danbury CT. Great shop. Along with gas and electric cars they also specialize in planes (both gas and electric) and boats. The owner races gas hydros that run 70+ mph. Nice folks.

Danbury Hobby Center
366 1/2 Main 10 St
Danbury, CT 06810
(203) 743-9052

Old 04-23-2008, 03:52 PM
hicch2

I wanted to know if I'm the only one that noticed that the price of raze & raze st parts on towerhobbies dropped significantly? Great time to stock up on parts (sucks for those that already have before the price change [])
Old 04-23-2008, 04:29 PM
BEARBYSR

Yes, the front knuckles went from like 59$ down to like 34$ or somthin like that and some other stuff dropped also. SWEET!! It's nice to actually see something go down in price anymore!! It's a good thing that we don't have to buy unleaded gasoline for our rc's[]
Old 04-23-2008, 05:30 PM
Zeta 7

UH oh this could be bad news. perhaps the raze may be on the chopping block. the Warhead has been replaced. I hope not though.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:23 PM
coyote5122
My Feedback: (25)

As far as I know the raze is gonna be reissued if not discontinued > my suggestion stock up on front shock towers for those of you that like to roll or flip , Front cvds are now a decent bargain wings are like 2 dollars and the machined front hubs are definately a grab to be had chassis are like 14.00 clutch shoes if you havent upgraded to aluminun already and of course the shoe springs front and rear arms , wing mounts , brakes and pads , the bearings are a must have at least for the 4 corners and if your really a basher gotta get the side skirts for the chassis . I ordered multiples of several items and a few that i will probably never need . so get it while its to be had I think the prices are only good until may first .

If any one has severely modded or transplanted raze's lets hear about em ..

Runnin one with machined hubs front cvd's lst shocks at 4 corners Jp 2 pipe hooked to a racers edge sure fire .32 on a 19 tooth clutch with the aluminum clutch pads center diff is filled with a blend of silly putty and 5k wt oil front straight 5 k and rear staight 7 k allridin on the Grp Gandinis street assault tires .

OK I got the ball rollin ...... Next>>>>>>>>>>[8D][8D]
Old 04-23-2008, 10:36 PM
Calin666

Well, I got the Losi 8ight shocks today, and spent most of the day installing them. It wasn't very hard at all, and required almost no Dremel grinding, and no modification of the shocks, or shock towers.
It looks badass I have to admit, but..... I have a bad feeling that I wasted a lot of money for absolutely nothing, for the simple reason, that I don't think it is going to work, as in, function properly.
You can see in the pics bellow, that it is sitting too close to the ground, in my opinion.
Parts I used for the mod were:
Losi, LOSA5417 - Front/Rear Shock set
Losi, LOSA5456 - 15mm Springs 3.1"x 2.5 Rate, Red
Losi, LOSA5450 - 15mm Springs 2.3x 4.1 Rate, Red
Duratrax, DTXQ0665 - Blue Aluminum Cap Washer M3
Dubro 3mm flat washers
3mm x 25mm Stainless Socket Head Cap Screw
The only real grinding that had to be done with the Dremel, on the balls that go into the Losi shock rod ends. The balls are just a little to wide to slip in, other than that, nothing else had to be done with the Dremel.
The stock Raze bolts that hold the shock onto the tower, had to be changed to longer ones (About 5mm longer. The Duratrax manual says that the stock bolts are 3x25mm bolts, but the 25mm bolts I got to replace the stock ones, were 5mm longer. Use your best judgment if you feel like doing this mod), to accommodate the blue spacers. A 3mm flat washer was then used on the end between the shock, and the nut.
30 weight shock oil was used.
Like I said, looks cool, but performance is questionable. I will let you guys know about it when I get a chance to drive it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq48104.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	935756   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs59532.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	935757   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg94100.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	935758   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pj17535.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	935759  
Old 04-23-2008, 11:54 PM
Calin666

I am an idiot.
I just remembered that there are different spring rates.
The reds were the only ones my LHS had in stock for a full set. I bet I can fix the droop with stiffer springs. Gonna have to look into that.
My only question is the springe rates for Losi are listed as 3.1 - 5.6
I am unsure as to which is stiffer. Do I want a low (3.1), or high (5.6)?
Old 04-24-2008, 05:58 AM
dirt101

the higher 5.6 will be the stiffest.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:54 PM
bronx boy

hey guys im the original guy with tha paris pipe upgrade i knew you would like it just a quick tip anytime you mount a new pipe with a weird mounting angle just use a bycycle spoke 14 guage stainless steel you can buy used ones from the bike shop for 10 cents each then cut them to any lenght you want bend them up they are super strong beleive me your new pipe will stay where you put it
Old 04-30-2008, 07:02 PM
bronx boy

as far as putting the nipple into the new pipe just start the hole where you need it with a small drill bit then keep going to the next bigger size till you get just where its a tight fit when you try to screw in the nipple then mix up some jb weld and coat the threads and screw it in // make sure you dont over tighten it
Old 04-30-2008, 07:13 PM
My Name Is Brad

here is a vid of my raze!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-R4UBmLZVYk
Old 04-30-2008, 07:25 PM
rcktpwrd

cool video Brad [8D]

I just got the full set of the option turnbuckles from Tower... Anyone else have them?
A quick look at them and it appears the the front ones are too long, I won't know for sure till I try to install them... anyone else notice this or have any issues with them?
thanks,
Old 04-30-2008, 10:12 PM
Calin666

I have been wanting to get the optional turnbuckle upgrade, but I have been lazy and not ordered them, and also my hobby budget was kind of blown on the Losi 8ight shock upgrade, which I finally got working, by putting the stiffest springs on that I could find. Works really great now. Much better handling, better acceleration, better cornering and breaking.
Old 05-01-2008, 02:52 PM
rcktpwrd

I hear ya...

but the prices at Tower for those parts was too good to pass on...
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=DTXD76**&P=Z
Old 05-01-2008, 05:08 PM
BEARBYSR

Well, just ordered the alum. front knuckles and the alum. rear hub carriers, those prices are hard to beat!!
I will be runnin my Raze down at the beach in N. Carolina in a couple of months, any suggestions on good tires for sand? What wheels are you guys using? I usually like gettin pre-mounted because my tire gluing skills are not the best. I am also wantin to get that updated body but I noticed Tower still does not have it posted(still the old solid colour bodies), it's weird, the new Raze has been out for some time now and it's still the same stuff on Tower, I guess I will check bay

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.