Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC 1/8th Scale Buggies
Reload this Page >

OS Vspec question.....here we go again

Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

OS Vspec question.....here we go again

Old 02-13-2007, 05:17 PM
Mrfranchize02

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OS Vspec question.....here we go again

FACT: The V-Spec is the Official "Internet Engine to Bash". I've had Novas, RB's and Sirio engines go bad prematurely and so has thousands of other people but it doesn't get posted.
My buddy has a brand new WS7III that Jim Hottinger calls a four minute motor because it mysteriously dies around the four minute mark. All engines are man-made and can have problems. I don't see whats the problem with swirl marks on the back plate because all my motors have had it. The engines are built to have the closest possible tolerance and this is part of the wearing-in process.
Old 02-14-2007, 01:28 AM
vti-chris

[sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]

ORIGINAL: Mrfranchize02

FACT: The V-Spec is the Official "Internet Engine to Bash". I've had Novas, RB's and Sirio engines go bad prematurely and so has thousands of other people but it doesn't get posted.
My buddy has a brand new WS7III that Jim Hottinger calls a four minute motor because it mysteriously dies around the four minute mark. All engines are man-made and can have problems. I don't see whats the problem with swirl marks on the back plate because all my motors have had it. The engines are built to have the closest possible tolerance and this is part of the wearing-in process.
[sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 02-14-2007, 02:31 AM
Jerseyboy

I agree, if you buy an engine pop it in and race.Running procedure may differ slightly from engine to engine. On the overall the engine should last.
I have read all the hype about the Vspec and decided to try for myself.
Runin was done properly and the engine was fantastic to race one the track. Loved the powerband. I have now 6litres of fuel through the engine. The engine is toast. The wear on the conrod is rediculous. So much slop, know a paperweight. Whether its a bad batch I got or what, I am not about to cough out for ceramic bearings new crank etc.
This engine is a piece of junk. Even the Recab versions wear out.
Lots of engines produce similar powerbands and last forever. Buying a Vspec is like Russian roulette. You dont know how long its gonna last.
I race the s%#$t out of my engines and they must last. They were manufactured to do that.
Look at the differences and see for yourself.
Just my 5 cents. I wont be buying and OS to race.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30009.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	621359   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qm36057.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	621360   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg91741.jpg
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	621361  
Old 02-14-2007, 02:52 AM
vti-chris

What is your point with those pictures?

If you don't like them how come and you bought 3 or more of them.
You are showning speed,eb mods, v-spec ,...jp...
Are those yours or you got them from another forum and posted here?

How many engines have you got and tuned?
I have 7 gallons on mine with barely any rod play.
You are doing something wrong.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:23 AM
Jerseyboy

I have 13 Nitro engines of various makes. I like to experiment and stick to what works.
The pics are from another post on as you said eb mods, standard and speed.
I know you swear buy Vspec, My experience is based on personal experience and fellow racers who swear buy the Vspec and Ive seen my bit of hassles on the Vspec. I dont get all the hype on the forums for susch an inferior built engine.
If you wanna talk qaulity create hype on any RB, Any Novarossi or derivatives.
the good eastern built engines are SH, STS, GoTech or same different branded. The OS Speed crank looks like it could be a different material(time will tell) but at the price!

I have 7 gallons on mine with barely any rod play.
I wish I had such luck with my Vspec. Believe me I would still be racing one. When it comes down to wasting money its another problem.
I will take a photo of my Vspec and show you the play after 6litres. The engine is barely runin.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:49 AM
UF DUB

you posted pics of engine internals that didnt even belong to you. how was that helpful or informative? id be interested to see pics of YOUR engine wear if you have any.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:44 AM
Da Smak
Banned

Particuarly of the back plate, rod end and crank pin.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:22 AM
Jerseyboy

If you look at any nitro engine the backplate will always have some marks. The backplate holds the conrod onto the crankpin.
Anyways Ive taken the pic last night with my phone if the qaulity is not good enough I'll take another with a decent camera.
It is difficult to see the wear feeling it is very loose. I havent had that much play on any Nitro engine ever.

Name:	Lj21970.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	622025  
Old 02-15-2007, 02:28 AM
Da Smak
Banned

OK and now one in focus please.
Old 02-15-2007, 06:41 AM
Jerseyboy

Ok Da Smak. I did this to prove a point. Just took these.

This engine has about 5litres of fuel.

Name:	Jh15940.jpg
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	622086   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43104.jpg
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	622087   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo31484.jpg
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	622088   Click image for larger version

Name:	Un34194.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	622089   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dp84065.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	622090  
Old 02-15-2007, 01:15 PM
Da Smak
Banned

That is indeed a lot of wear. Guess you ran it in the quick way. Oh well. New rod time.
Old 02-15-2007, 02:16 PM
TriPower

5 liters (just over one gallon) is way less lifespan than most report for a V-Spec, even the people who don't like them get more than that.

One of my V-Spec is at 5 gallons, 19 liters, and is still going strong. The rod is starting to move a tiny bit, but nothing like the pictures above. I will probably replace it at 6 gallons.
Old 02-15-2007, 02:55 PM
Da Smak
Banned

Your pictures are almostscaring me into not opening mine at all, But I know I have very little play in them after 15 Gallons and I put that down to my method of break in.
Old 02-15-2007, 02:59 PM
Jerseyboy

I ran this engine in very gently. After reading what evryone said on forums about the Vspec I was carefull. Even bought a heatgun specifically for this engine. I also drilled an extra hole in the conrod for better lubrication. Only ran one race meeting and 3 practice sessions. The engine was awesome when it was new.
The supplier blamed it on the fuel I was using. We only get sidewinder and it has 12% oil. Anyways I am now using the Go21 7 port and man this beats the Vspec handsdown forsure.
De Smak whats you take on this wear?
Old 02-15-2007, 04:00 PM
Mrfranchize02

I'm pretty sure that this engine wasn't taken care of properly. For one thing, my engines are never dry inside. You have to run a good quality fuel and/or use a good after run oil to prevent dry starts. Friction=Wear. If an engine is well lubricated and kept within a safe temperature range, it lasts forever. RC "forever" is over 50 million rotations of the engine's cycle or 7+ gallons. I'll post some pictures of my Vspec and my RB S5 when I break them down this weekend, they both look polished on the inside
Old 02-15-2007, 04:29 PM
Da Smak
Banned

ORIGINAL: Jerseyboy

I also drilled an extra hole in the conrod for better lubrication.

De Smak whats you take on this wear?
OK, I think the extra hole is a problem, it will alter the rotational weight and thus the characteristics of the lubrication circuit, 2 holes I fear will not allow the pressure to force the oil to the bearing faces, causing the excessive wear, so I also wonder how much wear there is to the small end and wrist pin and I wonder if you deburred the big end bush correctly. I see the huge scoring on the back plate and that is down to the rod wear.

In conclusion I feel that the early death of this mill is your own fault from being overcautios and not knowing the conciquences of your actions. So I don't feel this is a manifacturing fault but wholely owner related.
Old 02-15-2007, 04:31 PM
Da Smak
Banned

Also your clutch bearings failed quite a while ago too and look at that rear bearing rusting away, that things never seen ARO, I agree the Franny.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:10 AM
Jerseyboy

The worst part for me is the wear is on the crankpin and not the conrod. The crank is supposed to be much harder than the brass in the rod.
Anyways this is not the first engine I have run in. I have quite a collection. I havent had any issues with any other mill.
Hence my assesment of the Vspec.
If you guys are blaming user, runin, afterrun oil etc
I am not the only one experiencing the same.
OK thats it Ive moved on to greener pastures and I am happy. My buggy is flying with with my Gotech. This engine is the S$*t.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:44 AM
sh0wtime

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the Go engines are definitely the most bang for the buck right now

i can get them for half the price of a Vspec & i'd bet they last twice as long as mine did [>:]
Old 02-16-2007, 02:16 AM
vti-chris

Half the price of the v-spec?
I can get a v-spec for $220 on ebay Brand New.
How much is the 7 port Go engine...last time I checked was around $190.

I believe Alex is right on the extra hole on the rod...maybe this way the oil that goes in from one hole exits from the other from centrifugal forces.

Maybe the oil in the fuel(I've seen this in another forum where a guy was using the sidewinder 12% oil fuel same as here and had premature wear on his engine...which I think was an O.S. but I'm not sure on this one).

Have you wiped it out before you took the pictures?
Old 02-16-2007, 02:34 AM
Da Smak
Banned

ORIGINAL: Jerseyboy

The worst part for me is the wear is on the crankpin and not the conrod. The crank is supposed to be much harder than the brass in the rod.
Anyways this is not the first engine I have run in. I have quite a collection. I havent had any issues with any other mill.
Hence my assesment of the Vspec.
If you guys are blaming user, runin, afterrun oil etc
It is harder, but when brass gets hot it expands and becomes tight on the pin, and with no lube in there because of the extra hole, then sometings got to give.

Have you drilled holes in any other conrads?

I solely blame the first item on your list.
Old 02-16-2007, 02:34 AM
sh0wtime

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i said i could get one for half the price of a Vspec!

i don't know what the regular price would be?
even if they were the same price (pretty sure the Go is cheaper) i'd bet on the Go lasting longer & therefor providing more bang for the buck

i liked my Vspec in the time it was running well, good on fuel, good delivery etc! i'm just bummed along with everyone else about how quick they wear out [:'(]
Old 02-16-2007, 02:56 AM
vti-chris

Do you know how many Go and v-specs are sold everyday in the world...i bet the v-specs are MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH more.
Check ebay...you can see 10-20 v-specs some times but no Go.

Check the rb forum and you will see problems with brand new rbs too, same goes for novarossi and everyother engine.
How many guys in this forum have a go engine...and how many got an O.S.???

As for those with bad luck on the v-spec i personally blame their break in or tune or overeving the engine.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:21 AM
Jerseyboy

Have you wiped it out before you took the pictures?
vti I had to wipe the oil off else you would not see the slop.

The Go is new and gaining popularity like you cant believe. At our first 2007 nationals we had 60% running with Go engines. Pretty impressive.
I do my own mods on engines and after modding my Go this engine is scary. Look at any forum and you'll see the questions wrt the Go engine. Its cheaper and delivers more than any top qaulity more expensive engines. I have been running Go since its release last year and have sold to lots of my customers with no comebacks as yet. I have a P5X(love it) and a Crono RS5(love it more) on the shelf and although they are wicked I am running Go 21 7Ports in my CRT and X1. I find compared to Vspec or these two, the Go has a better powerband alround.
As this hobby is an addiction/obsession/sport to me I love to experiment, trying the newest and latest on the market. The worst thing you can do in this sport is to become closedminded. Initially I was fed up with the the cheaper engines. The Go changed all that for me.
As an example, I have compared the Go 21 7Port to WS7, C6, recab Vspec and recently Nova 21plus7(all superb engines) and down the straight none of them can out accelerate me or close on me on the straight.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:57 AM
vti-chris

I know what you mean, I have also tested a few engines and in off-road races most of the time you can't tell the difference in engine power when all of them are very close to all...power/design/quality...especially the last 2 years.

There are of course the exceptions to this...my two hyper 4 ports...changed the sleeve from one to the other and guess what, it's exhaust port seemed 1mm higher than my previous sleeve when looked from the exhaust on the block.

I don't run off road anymore I turned into rally game on-road 1/8th races and you can really tell the difference between engines especially out of a 180 degree slow turn. You can see the difference of the v-spec down low compared to all the other.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.