Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!
View Poll Results: A poll
Sport
37.25%
Hobby
62.75%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

sport or hobby

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 12:20 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: sport or hobby

All about business?? What? When did something have to make money to be called a sport? Stop being so capitalist.

It's a sport, it IS, it's not an opinion, its a fact. It's a dictionary definition. It is also a hobby, but RACING is always gonna be a motorsport.
Old 06-01-2007, 02:02 AM
MBX5T Maniac
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's both. Racing is a hobby, because it's what you do for fun, even if it's your job, but the hobby is a sport. And it's a job sometimes
Old 06-01-2007, 08:41 AM
crotolus

the polls are close
Old 06-01-2007, 12:11 PM
Norcaltruggy

A sport is defined as this:

An athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.

IMO, RC racing is not even close to a sport, the only element that would even make a compelling arguement is that it can be competitive. Sports are physical and active...RC racing is about as physical as video games. Dont get me wrong, I love this HOBBY but I also play sports...semi pro baseball and race downhill mountain bikes...etc, and Im sorry but calling RC racing a sport simply takes away from real athletes everywhere.
Old 06-01-2007, 02:07 PM
claudacio
My Feedback: (9)

Calling RC racing a sport takes away from real athletes everywhere? What do you have to say about the "sport" of golf? I'd rather call RC racing a sport than golf.

RC is whatever you feel it to be, if you feel it to be a hobby than thats what it is, others feel thats a sport, weather it be a motorsport or any other label you want to put on it. Anything thats competitive and requires skill is a sport, its about who's the winner in the end no matter what the objective. And it does take some skill to pilot these cars around a track, I think it does anyhow.
Old 06-01-2007, 02:59 PM
Norcaltruggy

Golf? As boring as it is, yes it is a sport. Golf takes a certain level of physical coordination, strength...etc. I am not a fan of golf, but it is definately considered a sport and has been for several decades. I do agree that RC driving takes a great deal of skill to master...so does Super Mario Bros.
Old 06-01-2007, 03:40 PM
JB COMP

Super Mario Bros. pulling out the sweet games now.
Old 06-01-2007, 03:55 PM
claudacio
My Feedback: (9)

Like I said, call it what you want, but saying it takes away from athletes by calling it a sport is just kinda stupid. Personally, I dont see it the way you do, I think theres more excitement in racing RC cars than there is in any traditional "ball and stick" (as someone above nailed it) type sports which are over glorified if you ask me. Anyone not physically impaired can run, throw a ball/catch a ball/throw it in a hole. But I do recognize the personal achievements and discipline it takes to play some of them and all that but you yourself are taking away from the hobby (as you see it) by saying that and comparing it to a video game. Theres a little more to it than pressing a power button and becoming a pro level A-mainer, or even a local F-mainer for that matter. I am by no means calling RC racers athletes, no one said it was a physical sport, but it takes preparation, skill, determination, and practice, and organized competition is held all over the world. That constitutes a sport I feel. Not everyone sees it that way but there is freedom to choose how you see it.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:35 PM
JJJEEEFFFFFF

If pistol shooting, skeet shooting, curling are Olympic sports then i think rc racing could be called a sport. I feel sorry for some of the athlete out there who run 30km a day and train and diet and never win a medal, then have to watch some over weight person win gold in the 10M pistol.

i see racing as a sport, sport or hobby i don't care either way. though.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:42 PM
JJJEEEFFFFFF

ORIGINAL: Norcaltruggy

Golf? As boring as it is, yes it is a sport. Golf takes a certain level of physical coordination, strength...etc. I am not a fan of golf, but it is definately considered a sport and has been for several decades. I do agree that RC driving takes a great deal of skill to master...so does Super Mario Bros.
so John Daly is an elite athlete

lol, not meaning to argue just having a laugh
Old 06-01-2007, 04:51 PM
Norcaltruggy

LOL - man he gained some weight! But even still, he can do things with a club and a golf ball that many dream of-using his body and skills... as out of shape as he is golf is still a physical activity.

As far as the shooting sports, again- its still being done with your body, and ones physical and mental training are important. I think that we can all agree that RC racing requires NO physical attributes or preparation to participate...making a non-sport. Unless there are guys out there that have some kind of workout routine for their finger!
Old 06-01-2007, 05:04 PM
JJJEEEFFFFFF

i have raced in temperature of up to and over 40 degrees. on days like that i would do better if i was fitter.

I can't agree that there is any more physical or mental training involved in pistol shooting then there is rc racing. i would put them equal, as either a sport or a hobby. i'ld actually say there is alot more mental stuff to deal with racing then there is shooting.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:31 PM
Norcaltruggy

Not to mention the obvious...we buy our stuff from hobby shops, not sporting goods.

-Tower hobbies / Amainhobbies / Horizon Hobbies...need to go on?
Old 06-02-2007, 12:08 AM
xxx123

Norcaltruggy,

Can we go "BIG 5" to get parts for my MBX5 or I can go Amainhobbies to get some tennis balls?

Old 06-02-2007, 10:44 AM
crotolus

interesting
Old 06-03-2007, 02:12 AM
marwankw
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you buy RTR then it is SPORT

If you buy kit then it is HOBBY

very simple
Old 06-03-2007, 02:31 AM
Norcaltruggy

ORIGINAL: marwankw

If you buy RTR then it is SPORT

If you buy kit then it is HOBBY

very simple
gu
undefined

HHHHMMMM....I will be trying to figure this one out all night.

SWEET....racing starts in 9 hours!