Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

losi 8 vs losi 8 rtr

Old 06-28-2007, 10:42 AM
big terp 77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default losi 8 vs losi 8 rtr

im thinking about getting into the buggy scene and was curious about the two buggies. i have a good radio (dx 3), a good steering servo, and most of the other little things to run nitro (ive got a lst2 and a revo). im not sure if it is worth it to get the rtr when i could almost complete the kit version now. i know the engine and bump box are a considerable expense. what do guys think, is the kit version worth it?
Old 06-28-2007, 10:48 AM
psychosnoman

Default RE: losi 8 vs losi 8 rtr

Any kit version will be a whole lot better than the RTR version. Sure it comes with an engine but it's not the best one. With the kit, you could pick out the engine of your choice. Go with the kit and with a good radio and servo already in hand your over halfway to having a great buggy.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:52 AM
big terp 77

what engine would you recommend. i like easy and fast.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:25 AM
psychosnoman

Easy as in easy to tune or as far as driving goes? With buggies the .21 engines are a good size for them. How much are you willing to spend though?
Old 06-28-2007, 12:20 PM
big terp 77

spend between 200-250. ive heard great things about the os vspec. i saw it on amain for under 300. easy as in keeping the tune and breaking in.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:39 PM
psychosnoman

Well I'm not the best person to be asking about engines. Other people on here know more on this subject but some good brands are OS, RB, Novarossi to name a few top end engines. STS and GO I have heard make some good engines to and are cheaper. I have the new STS MKII but have not broke it in or anything yet but have heard promising things about it. There are some threads on here talking about good engines.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:49 PM
FoamyVictim

V-spec is a good, powerful, efficient motor. If you want something even less expensive, with similar qualities, the VG is a great motor too.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:37 PM
big terp 77

i know with the kit you get a stiffer chassis and thicker shock mounts, is there any other differences between the rtr and kit?
Old 06-28-2007, 03:23 PM
2916jr

doesnt it have carbon fiber? correct me if I am wrong
Old 06-28-2007, 10:49 PM
kmaheartless

2916jr - No carbon fiber parts.
big terp 77 - other than the chassis and shock tower, the kits also includes all 4 clutch shoes, hard anodized hinge pin, aluminum shock caps, all springs and swaybars, and more.... Better go with the kit.. I got the RTR myself and I am spending more money upgrading the parts
Old 06-28-2007, 11:28 PM
big terp 77

i heard that the shock caps are the one of the first things to upgrade. i have half the stuff i would need for the kit, that other half is the problem. i have the radio and a steering servo. the engine is the big thing that i would need that is going to run up the credit card bill! i have it figured that it is going to run about 1000 total to fill out the shopping list. not sure if the wife is going to be up for that one. i probably could get away with spending less on the engine and a pipe, just seems a shame to put a lesser engine in such a good kit. do you have any experience with os vg. i know the vspec is supposed to be killer.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:37 AM
MT

If you have a nice radio already, then I would go with the Kit. I do not believe the RTR is as bad as some would lead to believe. The RTR servos are crap, so you will end up needing new ones, even with the adumbsdumbs and EPA adjustments. I bought the RTR, as I did not have an extra radio or engine. Just get the car, and start building and saving for an engine. Or, if you plan on racing at your local track, buy a cheapo engine, and use it as a back up when you have the money to buy a high end motor you want.