Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Stripped Ring Gears

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 04:09 AM
radkustoms

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stripped Ring Gears

Hello All,
I have a Duratrax Axis Buggy which is my favorite beater. I am on my second set of rings gears in two weeks. After the first set stripped, I replaced both ring gears and pinions. Cleaned both diff cases out really good with engine spray and reassembled. After about two hours of use, they are just starting to slip and strip again. Should the diff cases be filled with any kind of lubricant or grease? Also, is jumping the ultimate problem with the diffs? I have a 4 x 8 plywood ramp built that gets about 5-6 feet of air. I am sure the jumping doesn't help the situation, but... Any input would be appreciated before I buy more ring gears and pinions just to munch them in a few hours. Thanks
Old 07-03-2007, 06:54 AM
hkenvy91

Default RE: Stripped Ring Gears

uuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...............yeah your diffs need fluid in them at all times . you wouldnt run a real car without oil in the diffs would you! atleast put grease in them but i reccomend silicone diff fluid
Old 07-03-2007, 03:18 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Yes you should have grease or better diff oil in them. Try not to be on the throttle or on the brakes when you land from a big jump.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:28 PM
jkdv8
My Feedback: (1)

and shim them.
Old 07-03-2007, 05:26 PM
claudacio
My Feedback: (9)

You should have diff fluid inside the diff cups and some grease on the ring and pinion gears, you dont need to fill the case with grease, just a nice coating on the ring and pinion gears.
Old 07-04-2007, 06:27 PM
toughitaliankid

I have never had a problem with my gears in my axis. Must be lucky so far. Those diffs are not sealed so they won't hold any fluids, just some grease. Be careful on the throttle as you land from big jumps. With no slipper clutch, and a fist full of juice, you can really put a strain on the drive train when landing big jumps.
Old 07-04-2007, 07:11 PM
aangelet

Check you diff case carefully. It might have a crack in it, or may even have stretched a bit. Try changing the diff case.