Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC 1/8th Scale Buggies
Reload this Page >

official ofna ultra lx one rtr review thread lx-1

Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

official ofna ultra lx one rtr review thread lx-1

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 12:53 AM
ryans1000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default official ofna ultra lx one rtr review thread lx-1

I didn't see any good review threads on the ofna ultra lx one so we'll see if we can get this one going. My friend and I wanted to get involved with some racing at the local rc track so we went looking for a couple cheap buggies around the $300 range. We debated between the duratrax raze and the ofna ultra lx one because they are both sub $300. We decided to go with ofna since we were told they have a better race reputation and probably more stock of parts at local hobby shops because of ofna's many buggies that perhaps share parts. Ofna has a couple buggies at that price range but we went with the ultra lx one because it was the newest release. ended up paying $270 for each.

Took about an hour to have them running and spent a few hours breaking the motors in on friday. My friend is from out of town so we wanted to get some racing in on saturday. Saturday was plagued with lots of little bugs that unfortunately ruined most of our fun for the day at the track.

here is a list of negatives/issues we found on this buggy

- servos were reversed from factory on both buggies (found out the hard way, wide open throttle on first start!)
- brake lever set screw backed out, causing no rear brake and the loose brake rod jammed the throttle wide open causing a hard smack into a curb requiring some repair
- cold blooded. likes to stall if you open up the throttle too much before the engine is hot
- a bit harder to tune than some other engines. make sure the engine is at FULL temp before you touch the needles
- set screws on diff cups which holds the axel to the differential backed out on both of our buggies!!! both front and rears came loose
- front tires came unglued on one buggy
- steering servo broke on one of the buggies. was caused by a tumbling crash but it was a rather minor crash
- steering servo is too weak causing large radius turing when at anything other than a slow pace
- throtte/brake servo is too weak causing weak braking
- radio box takes a while to open because of 4 allen bolts
- transmitter looks kind of cheap but functions fine
- steering servo arm wasn't setup right on both buggies not allowing us to trim the steering enough for the buggies to drive straight. 10 minute fix

the main deal breakers for us were the servo breaking which caused the end of the race day for me since the hobby shop was closed but i was going to put a stronger servo in it eventually anyway. and the other big issue was the set screws backing out on the brake lever and on the driveshafts which cause a lot of downtime because they fall out and get lost and you have to buy new ones.

positive areas are

- incredible power, torque, speed and acceleration.
- although i complained about the difficulty to tune above, the engine does run great when tuned and at full temp
- lots of traction
- nice suspension, wheels and tires
- handles and jumps good handling
- appears to have a similar overall design and layout to ofna's more expensive buggies

overall we have been disappointed because we had been looking forward to racing and we missed out due to minor issues that could've have been prevented at the factory if they would've took just a bit more time assembling. we are both new to rc cars so maybe this kind of stuff is normal on entry level rtr kits. in fact I know weak servos and tires coming unglued are common.

both buggies are running now again and I have a feeling that we have most of the bugs worked out now. hopefully they will prove to be good buggies. i will keep you guys updated

How do you other owners like it?

Ryan
Old 08-20-2007, 12:54 AM
ryans1000

Default RE: official ofna ultra lx one rtr review thread

here is a pic of the axle to differential connection in which the set screws were coming out on both of our buggies both front and rear causing a lot of headaches

either keep a close eye on them or pull the bolts out right away and blue locktite them. i even put CA on them also.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:22 PM
ryans1000

Update. Haven't had too much time to drive it but put about a gallon through the lx one so far, all track time. Thoughts are the engine is too cold blooded and hard to tune and keep running. Once its real hot it runs good and makes good power but if you idle it for just 30 seconds it likes to die until you rev it out again.

Everything else is holding up good except for the occasional set screw here or ther comes loose. really should go through them all and loc tite.

If i had to go it over again, id try another kit because the force 28 motor is shady.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:25 PM
hrdcoreglf

The first thing you need to do on any preassemble buggy or kit is locktite any metal to metal screws.
Old 09-19-2008, 01:52 AM
lifeandhowtoliveit

Exactly what he said...blue locktite all over. The servos are junk and faster and stronger servos will make a world of difference. Also ditch the AA reciever pack holder and get an actual reciever pack. This will give you higher voltage and make your new servos even better. A new radio wouldnt hurt either. I think the LX1 is fairly durable. The weakness is the rear ring gear. You might as well buy the hardend ring gear because the stock one will strip soon, trust me. Overall I think its a decent buggy to learn on. I bought mine at the begining of the summer, but quickly moved up to my Mugen which is freakin awesome.

Also one other note...as with any buggy there are a ton of hopups for the LX1....dont go crazy with these because you will end up switching to a different buggy if you keep racing.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:01 PM
95eclipse95
Banned

Default RE: official ofna ultra lx one rtr review thread lx-1

would you guys think id be stupid to trade a nice brushless sc10 for  a ofna lx0ne buggy needs tx/rx im wanting to convert it to electric,, would it be a wast of my sc10 or my time  thanks for any help
Old 09-22-2011, 04:23 PM
yamahatech

Default RE: official ofna ultra lx one rtr review thread lx-1

Depends on a lot of things. What's all there.More info on the ofna.