Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC 1/8th Scale Buggies
Reload this Page >

What is a good starter Box for MBX5R!

Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

What is a good starter Box for MBX5R!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 05:48 AM
NOIC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is a good starter Box for MBX5R!

I have an MBX5R with an OS V-Spec and I'm using an OFNA Chrome Top box. I hate the box. The silly plastic handle on the front was useless if you want to plug the leads into the panel under it. So I took it off and mounted one on the side. What’s more annoying is when I set the buggy on top and push down on the rear shock tower to start it, the front of the car raises up thus lifting the flywheel off the starter wheel. You have to push down more in the middle, but the head is there so you can't do that. Also it's got two motors, but really, I don't see the power there either. Seems like it should turn over with more torque. Maybe I'm picky or it's a bad one. Either way I want a better box, soooooooooooo can anyone suggest a good box that will work better than this one?
Old 08-25-2007, 07:31 AM
adz06

Default RE: What is a good starter Box for MBX5R!

does the ofna chrome top not just use one large motor not 2. the SMD starter box is really good it uses twin motors its about the most powerful out there and is also very compact and light.
Old 08-25-2007, 08:03 AM
Foordy

The new mugen starter box (grey),with 2 stick packs will turn any motor over.Another positive is it is sooooo god damm light! i use it with my 8ight and its fantastic and lasts 2 meets with 2 3600 packs.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:18 AM
MT

ORIGINAL: Foordy

The new mugen starter box (grey),with 2 stick packs will turn any motor over.Another positive is it is sooooo god damm light! i use it with my 8ight and its fantastic and lasts 2 meets with 2 3600 packs.

I agree, but the masses wont. Most around here are interested in a starter box with tractor battery, a motorcycle starter, and an over all length of and R/C boat.
The Mugen is built great, light, small, and has tons of power.
To each their own, there is no right or wrong.
Old 08-25-2007, 12:35 PM
hkenvy91

the real chrome top has one big motor runnin off a 12v gel cell battery. thats the one i have and i could bumpstart a tractor with that thing! you should look into that one
Old 08-25-2007, 12:54 PM
musclecar64

I've got an Ofna chrome top with dual 550 motors and an onboard power panel that comes with a corded glow plug starter and a 12V gell cell battery. It's a little heavy and bulky but it gets the job done well enough.
Old 08-25-2007, 01:10 PM
RevToTheRedline
My Feedback: (4)

Ofna Truggy starter, it's the new blue one with dual 775 motors, very nice build quality, I have mine loaded with a 12v gel cell. Awesome box at a good price.
Old 08-25-2007, 04:00 PM
NOIC

Thanks for the responses. I tried to find the SMD box, but apparently it is not sold in the states. If you have a link that sells them in the US, please send. OFNA sees. to make a lot of boxes. I have the one with the twin motors, black bottom, chrome top, corded glow starte (which I don't use any more). Probably like musclecar64's box. Of the boxes mentioned, do all of them have the top like the OFNA chrome top where the whole top moves down to engage the starter wheel motor? Does anyone else have the same problem I have where the car lifts off the starter wheel when you push down on the back to start it? This is my biggest problem and next is the weight.
Old 08-25-2007, 07:09 PM
nabanta

I had that problem of the front of my buggy lifting up, but if you just push down on the engine it works fine. That was with my twin 550 chrome top. Now I have the single 12 volt motor chrome top box and it works great! You can push on the the wing and the wheel still makes contact on the flywheel. I don't have a single complaint over the 12 volt chrome top. Some people say its heavy, which it is, but I never had to heat up an engine with it. Which if it can start an engine for the first time without being heated up, I could care less how much it weighs. IMO [8D]
Old 08-25-2007, 07:29 PM
allenthen831

ORIGINAL: RevToTheRedline

Ofna Truggy starter, it's the new blue one with dual 775 motors, very nice build quality, I have mine loaded with a 12v gel cell. Awesome box at a good price.
i just got that box yesturday i use it for my kyosho inferno i have a 12V battery in it and its great