Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

THE ASSOCIATED RC8 THREAD!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 11:13 PM
kochj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: THE ASSOCIATED RC8 THREAD!

If the Associated R8 shock get any closer, they will be criss-crossed!!!
Hmmm, perhaps that will be the new trend???
Then THat manufacture can claim that they have the most travel in any 1/8th buggy Yet!!!

I will say the the Team magic 1/8th buggy, although has had issues, seems to be the most radical in design so far....
CF shock stays? That spells disaster to me.....

I look forward to seeing what this buggy can do...
I tip my hat to those that have one and are putting the time in to sort it out for next years racing!!

Justin
Old 10-05-2007, 01:34 AM
Da Smak
Banned

ORIGINAL: Snaut Rocket

Im not going to pick sides here but looking at 46's post looks like he has alot of experience with these things.
A little knowledge can be dangerous in some peoples hands and I've always thoughtof 46's replies as let's say"a little ropey at times"

I'm not picking sides either but we all run the cars in the street at some time in our lives.
Old 10-06-2007, 01:43 PM
crazysavage

I'll be running mine Sunday Oct 7 2007 on a large track. If it's better than my Jammin buggy, I will be able to sleep while driving it cause my Jammin is very very good. I'll give my report on monday.
Old 10-06-2007, 04:55 PM
bbmods

hey guy,

I just got done running my rc8 the track(indoors). First i ran my jammin(factory team kit) for 3+ tanks and then i ran my rc8 for the rest of the time(6+ tanks). The rc8 doesnt traction flip as bad, it rolls threw the corner better, it lands better, and it handles great coming out of the corner also. Im going to run it more this week and next week i have a big race to go to so we will see how it goes. There was 4 other poeple there with the rc8. Two of them were crazy driver and they didnt break anything. They were running into the pipe, darting it into jumps, and fliping like crazy. They were didnt break a single thing
Old 10-06-2007, 05:50 PM
Da Smak
Banned

Oh well My RC8 was back on the track today and 2 tanks later retired with a broken shock tower. The top mount pushed right up and through the CF. Back to the XB8 I think.
Old 10-06-2007, 08:50 PM
crazysavage

ORIGINAL: Da Smak

Oh well My RC8 was back on the track today and 2 tanks later retired with a broken shock tower. The top mount pushed right up and through the CF. Back to the XB8 I think.
Carbon fiber has been very very good to me I run towers on my truggy and jammin buggy made from CF but you have to seal all the edges with thin CA glue. My new RC8 took alittle over an hour to do this since you have to remove them and the CF sucked in quite a bit of glue and one of my brake linkage rods was not threaded so I had to set up my brakes the old fashoin way. I really dont consider this car a race roller since you have to pull those towers and other carbon parts and seal them. You can ignore this step but it may get you in the end.
These items dont bther me since I think it is impossible to have a true race roller. I'm a good nights sleep away from hitting the track and I cant wait.
Old 10-07-2007, 12:07 AM
thopper

Crotulus...I will sell you replacement for $469.00 plus shippin gif you are interested in a replacement.
e-mail- [email protected]
Old 10-07-2007, 02:45 AM
Da Smak
Banned

ORIGINAL: crazysavage

Carbon fiber has been very very good to me I run towers on my truggy and jammin buggy made from CF but you have to seal all the edges with thin CA glue. My new RC8 took alittle over an hour to do this since you have to remove them and the CF sucked in quite a bit of glue and one of my brake linkage rods was not threaded so I had to set up my brakes the old fashoin way. I really dont consider this car a race roller since you have to pull those towers and other carbon parts and seal them. You can ignore this step but it may get you in the end.
These items dont bther me since I think it is impossible to have a true race roller. I'm a good nights sleep away from hitting the track and I cant wait.
I had sealed the edges of my CF, but the unthreaded linkage of yours is another worrying concern about the quality of the RC8, I know that mine is going to be laid up for 2 more weeks now waiting for the parts it neesds again. This buggy only has 45 minutes of run time on it from 3 weeks and so far there has been more spent on it for repairs than I have had to shell out in 3 years for my XB 8and in fact my hyper 7 has been cheaper than the RC8 and that's 5 years old. The RC8 is a dud and I advise people to wait until AE have made their updates and sorted out the QC before leaping in to get one.
Old 10-07-2007, 02:39 PM
bbmods

IF poeple dont try to do stupid thing with the buggy you will not break anything. example: dont triple something were you can double-double it. I bet more than haft the time you will be lawn darting it. and another thing is if you double-double it just as fast. Ive seen other buggy that been out on the market that break(alum shock towers, arms, shocks, bulkheads) due to poeple being stupid. If you are a good driver you will not crash much and that fixs everything right there. Think about what you did to break that part or what you have been doing.
Old 10-07-2007, 03:53 PM
Da Smak
Banned

Hold on, your insulting my driving without even knowing how it broke!!! I suggest you wind your neck right in right now. To say it was a crash when you know nothing is presuming too much. It happened at the end of the straight just as I turned to the right. The outer wheel bit in and the buggy began to turn, the next thing the shock shot up as it extended and the buggy went left, and I slammed on the brakes. Did not hit a thing, didn't roll and certainly had not happened straight after a jump, which where all flawless that day. So the tower is junk now and I'm waiting once more for parts to jet their way to me here.
Old 10-07-2007, 04:10 PM
stadium truck freak

no offence to you guys but am i right in saying the rc8 will be a crap basher due to the fact every hing is carbon and plastic so is only a racer buggy looking at the towers if you roll it they will break quite easly . tbh back to the drawing bord with this one
Old 10-07-2007, 05:50 PM
ringneck

ok guys here is a magor tip if you whant to take out the small screw that holds the hing pins in place use a heat gun or a lighter to heat up the small screws 1st>!!! THIS IS A MUST!!!!! or you WILL strip them they ARE locktighted from the factory and they are in there quite good and when you replace the screws add a small washer that hing pin pulling out problem will be no more trouble for you. DO NOT ATEMPT TO REMOVE THOSE SCREWS WITHOUT HEATING THEM UP 1st[>:][8D] you will thank me for this.
Old 10-07-2007, 05:51 PM
bbmods

Hold on, your insulting my driving without even knowing how it broke!!! I suggest you wind your neck right in right now. To say it was a crash when you know nothing is presuming too much. It happened at the end of the straight just as I turned to the right. The outer wheel bit in and the buggy began to turn, the next thing the shock shot up as it extended and the buggy went left, and I slammed on the brakes. Did not hit a thing, didn't roll and certainly had not happened straight after a jump, which where all flawless that day. So the tower is junk now and I'm waiting once more for parts to jet their way to me here.

so you didnt crash at all that day????????????????

Im not insulting your driving but ive seen alot of poeple drive the buggy crazy and they didnt break anything. Im just saying less you crash there is less of a chance to break. And that goes for all the buggys out there on the market. Im dont bashing on your driven, but i just want you to consiter other factor for the parts that are breaking.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:07 PM
Da Smak
Banned

ORIGINAL: bbmods

so you didnt crash at all that day????????????????

Im not insulting your driving but ive seen alot of poeple drive the buggy crazy and they didnt break anything. Im just saying less you crash there is less of a chance to break. And that goes for all the buggys out there on the market. Im dont bashing on your driven, but i just want you to consiter other factor for the parts that are breaking.
Now with 26 years of racing RC's and 20 of those with nitros and an engineering masters behind me, I think I can decide when something a treated harsh enough to break, but seeing as I had barely got the buggy warmed upthat day and it had only been running 7 minutes, then there was a serious failure of a part that was being used well within its designed limits. Ihave many buggies in my arsenal atmand this one has been the most over-rated thing prior to launch out of any of them. I am more than disapointed with this buggy, esspecially as the release date was held back to sort out minor problems that it was suffering. I only wish that AE would inform us what those problems where asI feel they have not done a thing to address them as my ride only has 45 mins of run time over the 3 weeks I've had it. And that stat is not set to improve for another week now.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:27 PM
Snaut Rocket

From looking at the pics the chassi is black aliminum right. Or is it plastic.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:37 PM
Wreckless Racing

i think that it is entertaining that the croud that is down talking the RC8 are people that are moving up from GS Storms. The buggy is a top of the line race buggy. This thing is intended for the top of the line racer. not some jow shmo whos going to smash it into pipes and walls...of course its not going to hold up to that.

Carbon Fiber is EXTREMELY strong. it has been tested by aerospace engineers and is one of the strongest materials out there. for you or for anyone to say that carbon is to go back to the drawing board than you all honestly need to do some homework

Old 10-08-2007, 06:58 PM
bbmods

ORIGINAL: Wreckless Racing

i think that it is entertaining that the croud that is down talking the RC8 are people that are moving up from GS Storms. The buggy is a top of the line race buggy. This thing is intended for the top of the line racer. not some jow shmo whos going to smash it into pipes and walls...of course its not going to hold up to that.

Carbon Fiber is EXTREMELY strong. it has been tested by aerospace engineers and is one of the strongest materials out there. for you or for anyone to say that carbon is to go back to the drawing board than you all honestly need to do some homework

You are 100% correct!!!!!!
Old 10-08-2007, 07:35 PM
mupchu

Carbon Fiber is strong, but it is not flexable and it is very un-forgiving. Do your homework and you'll see that just because it is carbon does not make it better even if carbon is stronger.

I personally am not in the market for an RC8, and I don't like to get buggies (or any other RC's) on the cutting edge of development. I would not discount all the failure's racking up, but I don't think the buggy is made of glass either. Something tells me there will be some "upgrade" parts in the near future that will make it more bomb proof even if it is at the sacrifice of increasing weight.

Time will tell if this is really a great buggy or not, but one thing is for sure it is not built to bash at all.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:51 AM
crazysavage

ORIGINAL: mupchu

Carbon Fiber is strong, but it is not flexable and it is very un-forgiving. Do your homework and you'll see that just because it is carbon does not make it better even if carbon is stronger.

I personally am not in the market for an RC8, and I don't like to get buggies (or any other RC's) on the cutting edge of development. I would not discount all the failure's racking up, but I don't think the buggy is made of glass either. Something tells me there will be some "upgrade" parts in the near future that will make it more bomb proof even if it is at the sacrifice of increasing weight.

Time will tell if this is really a great buggy or not, but one thing is for sure it is not built to bash at all.
I agree with mupchu, completely, but if I had not been running carbon shock towers on my CRT for 2 years with no problems whatsoever, I would not have purchased the RC8. I removed all the carbon fiber and dipped all the exposed edges in thin CA glue, I used a tooth pick dipped in CA to seal all the holes and I boiled the top plate for ten minutes. I had no failures and several people ran my RC8 at the end of the day and gave it a durability test for me by running into the end of a pipe 2 inches away from a spike at wide open throttle and another wot hit into a 12 inch spike at near wide open throttle along with cart wheels over a 30 foot long table top. I could not crash the thing all day except for a couple spin outs and flip or two but I did flat land it with after a good 30 ft flight all day long with no breakage and no loose or bent parts. I think there is a quality consistency issue with all RC cars, based on where they are coming from. I have seen air bubbles in composit parts and voids in carbon parts. With this system we use of designing the parts here and farming the work out over there, they are going to sneak in some cheap crap here and there to bolster there profits. This has happened with every new rc car to some extent.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:28 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Wreckless Racing

I find it entertaining how so many people are defending a buggy they don't own nor know anything about, in the face of experienced people with multiple racing buggies, telling them that it has the problems that it quite obviously does have.

Also, there are some other issues with your post here... one by one... Top of the line racing buggy? Out of the box, I don't think so. No product is perfect out of the box, even my beloved Xrays have their problems, but from what I've seen and heard, Xray and Mugen's quality is far ahead of AE's in 1/8th buggy terms, and so it should be, this is AEs FIRST attempt in this class, they have much to learn... Smashing into pipes, well, smash an Xray into a pipe and tell me if it breaks. 9 times out of ten it won't. THAT's the difference between a top racing car and an OFNA LX, so in actual fact, top racing machines ARE for smashing into pipes etc, where other cheaper models cannot get away with it. Top of the line racers... how many of those you think there are in the world? 1000? 10,000? ok, lets say there's 100,000. Are you saying that AE only wants to sell that many cars? When you call support do they ask 'Are you a top of the line racer? If not then you shouldn't have bought this car?'...

Aerospace engineers...hmmmm, yes the CF on the space shuttle and in planes was probably tested by aerospace engineers, but somehow I doubt AEs shock towers are. As for back to the drawing board on carbon not being suitable for shock towers...did it occur to you that that may well be the reason that all racing buggies come with CNC shock towers?

Bottom line though, I do see where you're coming from. I see people on both sides saying things without having the slightest experience, because they either want it to be good, or they want it to fail, depending on their agenda and stance toward AE.

Da Smak however, aside from his belligerence, is one of the most knowledgable and experienced users on this forum (1/8th buggies). I take his word as gospel on subjects like this, as he has owned many different buggies, raced them, modded them, thrashed them, even twin engined one or two of them. The guy knows what he's talking about, so don't put him in the box with the AE fanboys and the 'budget buggy noobs'.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:12 AM
crazysavage

Alot of great points foxy42...I felt I needed to add my counter points to let people know that I have had no problems with mine but I did put in 4 hours of prep time with the buggy. It's track performance was field crushing. I went into a super slow cruise mode 6 min into a ten minute main and no one put enough pressure on me to go faster. I was able to push it to the ragged edge and it gave me such a lead that I could go embarrasingly slow for the last 4 min. That was the only time I crashed. My buggy time has been with the Losi 8 and the Jammin and I could simply do more with this buggy and that was before any chassis changes except camber and ride height. But this was only one race and one practice day so time will tell.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:18 AM
RBMike

I'm just under a gallon right now. I've been abusing the car for 2 weekends without a failure. I HAVE a Losi & I HAVE a Mugen & I've HAD Kyosho's & I've been racing 1/8ths for about 10 years. This car is just as good as they are and it handles better. I have not run it long enough to say it's tougher yet, no one has. Time will tell all but I think the nay sayers are talking too much too early.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:19 AM
SManMTB

All brands have fanboys.
The AE looks weak.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:26 AM
RBMike

Well if you look in my Garage I don't think you can call me a "Fan Boy" for any brand except RB motors.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:34 AM
SManMTB

It wasn't aimed at you or anyone specific.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.