Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC 1/8th Scale Buggies
Reload this Page >

OS .21VG revisit and owners check in!

Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

OS .21VG revisit and owners check in!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 09:54 PM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS .21VG revisit and owners check in!

I have read the good and bad along with everyone else. I chose to buy an OS .21 VG-P and am excited to plop it into my 8IGHT. I hear a lot of regurgitation of ABL, blah blah blah. I want to hear from the owners.

How many gallons? Pinch? reliability? power?

I hear a lot of naysayers, but I hear more positive. I need a .21 to get in spec for my class and since I am running too many classes right now I needed a budget .21. Unlimited MT, truggy and 1/8 scale is a bit for anyone to keep up with including 1/10 electric from time to time.

I would like to hear an update from all of those running this engine. I will definitely update when I start running the engine as well. If you don't have one in your car and have never run one, I know. It has ABL, suspect Nickel, RG follow on, yada yada. Got it. No need to repost.

Runners check in and post! Look forward to hearing from ya.

Displacement: 0.211 cu in (3.46 cc)
Bore: 0.654 in (16.6 mm)
Stroke: 0.63 in (16.0 mm)
Practical rpm: 3,000-36,000
Output: 2.0 hp @ 30,000 rpm
Old 09-25-2007, 11:05 PM

Default RE: OS .21VG revisit and owners check in!

I have a little over 1 gallon through mine. No problems at all to report yet. Holds a tune very well, starts easy and makes pretty good power. I will admit that it is a little slow on top end. I had it in my truggy for a while but in order to get acceptable speed out of it, I had to set it too lean so it got a little hotter than I like. It's a perfect engine in a buggy, especially for smaller tracks.

My engine would be a good test of the ABL. Break in was 3 easy tanks in the street and turning screws on the 4th. WFO on the 6th tank. We will see. Bought an extra piston kit just in case.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:24 AM
emoney8ml

I have over a gal. through mine also, & so far all I can say is awsome, very happy, holds tune well,good low end ect. I run it in my 8ight on a tight track so dont know abought the top end thing yet, but for the money if my best friend wanted a good .21 tomorow I would tell him to buy one ... I bet you will be happy with this motor
Old 09-26-2007, 06:07 AM
pete8541

just over a gallon when the crank went.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:09 AM
Dale Gribble

Crank went? Snapped? How does a crank go bad? Are you an experienced nitro guy? That was not meant to be an insult, I am just curious.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:26 AM
pete8541

the nub that the rod connects to was oblong. took out everything
Old 09-26-2007, 11:46 AM
JSRacer

Not impressed with mine. Was at first, but the p&s didn't last long.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:13 PM
Da Smak
Banned

ORIGINAL: pete8541

the nub that the rod connects to was oblong. took out everything
That would be the crank pin sheared off then, a sign that the engine was too lean. The VG is a run of the mill mid range engine just meant for fun, not full on racing. Don't expect to keep up with the big boys, but what it lacks in speed it makes up for in stabiltity, not having to brake so hard for a corner is a handy thing as you don't have to hit the gas so hard on the way outand chances are you'll hold a better line and carry more speed.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:28 PM
Chopped02

I put about 3 gallons of fuel through mine before the piston and sleeve needed to be replaced. I just broke in the new piston and sleeve and is running good so far. I let my son race it in the 1/8th scale buggy sportsmen class in a Matrix with it now. It's got plenty of power for him as it is not as competative of a class. Replaced the roto start with a standard bump start only backplate too. Not a bad engine, just not powerful enough for hardcore racing imo.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:29 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

For the most part I think OS engines are good engines but have to wonder about the VG series with the ABL sleeve. I have heard more negative on these engines in the short period of time they have been out then all the other OS engines made in the last 5 or so years. For the money I think there are better engines out there with ABC sleeves. I do know with the ABL they use nickel and we all know how durable ABN is.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:52 PM
Nik.

I do not personally have this engine, but I have a friend that does. He has one in his eight and he likes it very much. Its supposedly a good budget engine.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:03 PM
emoney8ml

I only paid $125 for mine <what is it better motor in that price range?? not tring to be contravercial just wanting to know,??
Old 09-26-2007, 10:35 PM
Dale Gribble

ORIGINAL: 46u
I do know with the ABL they use nickel and we all know how durable ABN is.
How do you know that? Where was that confirmed? I was trying to confirm that and I never saw a legit source. Just forum chatter.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:08 PM
46u

This is off OS web site!

ABL
Advanced Bimetallic Liner. Specialized form of ABN. Instead of a single-step, single-material plating, the ABL Plating process is based on a layered approach made possible by two OS-developed hard-nickel alloys. The first alloy is used as the bottom (bonding) layer, to fuselage the top layer to the brass liner. The second alloy, developed for superior hardness, forms the top layer. Together, they create a barrier that protects the liner against excessive heat and wear.

Any other questions?

Just in case here is the link so you know it is not from just chatter!!!!!![X(]
http://www.osengines.com/glossary.html

Now I have a question do you think OS did this because it is better or is it just cheaper to manufacture? They sure do not use this process in their high dollar engines like the V spec or the new speed V spec!
Old 09-26-2007, 11:12 PM
Nik.

ORIGINAL: emoney8ml

I only paid $125 for mine <what is it better motor in that price range?? not tring to be contravercial just wanting to know,??

The SH .21 is pretty good too.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:18 PM
46u

Yes SH makes a very good engine and all so makes engines for many companies like XTM, Sports Works, LRP and a few others.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:10 AM
Dale Gribble

Thanks for posting that. I guess I will expect to get 2-3 gallons out of the engine. I think it will meet my needs and since it's only $150 I won't cry by it dying sooner then ABC. No biggie.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:59 AM
coololdude

Just throwing this out here.....now could you take the V-spec 21 piston and sleeve and put it in the VG 21 when it's ready for a piston and sleeve and really give this engine a boost???? I've seen the piston & sleeve on ebay for cheap....I would think it would fit..????? I can only talk for the V-spec 21 for that is what I have...I don't know much about the VG 21 ....????
Old 09-27-2007, 10:13 AM
46u

ORIGINAL: coololdude

Just throwing this out here.....now could you take the V-spec 21 piston and sleeve and put it in the VG 21 when it's ready for a piston and sleeve and really give this engine a boost???? I've seen the piston & sleeve on ebay for cheap....I would think it would fit..????? I can only talk for the V-spec 21 for that is what I have...I don't know much about the VG 21 ....????

Because they have totally different port configurations.

I looked hard at the OS VG when they came out as I have an OS RG, which in my opinion was a much better engine in the long run. After some checking I passed. There are engines out there with ABC sleeves for the same price that will leave the VG far behind. The VG just like the RG is a good low-end engine but lack in top end.

I understand OS has to make money but you use to be able to get the RG for $100 to $120 with an air filter and ABC sleeve. They came out with the VG no air filter ABL sleeve and went up on the price a good bit on an engine that cost them less to make.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:50 PM
qtipofdeth

I am in the process of breaking my new .21vg in .... so far so good.. been super easy to deal with. A few guys at my local club track run them, or the vspec... and finish very close.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:57 PM
46u

ORIGINAL: qtipofdeth

I am in the process of breaking my new .21vg in .... so far so good.. been super easy to deal with. A few guys at my local club track run them, or the vspec... and finish very close.

Then it has to do with the drivers as the VG has no where near the power of the V spec!
Old 09-27-2007, 09:39 PM
notch 9

Hello, been reading this thread and also am interested in the OS engines. Currently I have the .26 v2 that is stock with the turmoil and from what it sounds like, going to the OS .21 vg would be just a lateral move. Not considering the ROAR regulations. Also the v2 has a "abc" construction.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:57 AM
thopper

Simply the slowest , worst engine I have ever owned. It runs and idles but NO power. The pinch is gone in about two tanks. I think this engine is the an embarassment for O.S. For a few bucks more get a 3 port Novaross (179.00) and you will MUCH better off.
Old 09-29-2007, 04:10 AM
joydude630

Hey Dale Gribble....To be honest VG is way slow to a top-tuned v-spec...I personally own a truggy with a OS Speed and I beat my mates buggy which holds anOS 21VG on a straight.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:53 PM
TCEAGLE1

I've got(had) 2 .21 vgs, one stock and the other is the Hot Mod version that I run in a buggy. The stock one was good for exactly 2 gallons. I used it mainly for practice days and as a backup motor. I put in a new piston and sleeve and I got maybe 1/2 gallon through it (after break-in) before it "locked" up while idling for about 15 seconds just after I started it up. I pulled it apart to see that the top of the piston had scraped the side of the sleeve. It pushed metal up like curled pencil shavings until it got deep enough to stop. I think the cause may be the rear bearing is going bad. Since these motors were new the one thing that was noticeable right from the start was how smooth the hot mod version felt when turning it over by hand. (It has an upgraded rear bearing)

The Hot Mod has about 2.5 gallons on it and still runs strong. The difference in power is like night and day. I can easily clear triples that the stock version could not think about, and on occasion I find myself running up someone elses a#@end down the straight, definately something the stock one could not do.

This is my experience so far....... and I definately will not buy another one. The Novarossi 3 port will be my next mill. More punch and faster than the modded vg, and from what I have seen they are reliable and last a long time, and they're cheaper.

TC

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.