Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!
View Poll Results: A poll
XRAY XB8 EC or R
33.33%
Losi 8ight
25.64%
Ofna HaBao 8.5
41.03%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

New Buggy comments please

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 01:55 PM
haasjj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Buggy comments please

I'm thinking about buying a new buggy and engine but I like three different buggy's and I'm not sure what to get. I hate these kinds of threads I don't like asking this question because you get more brand loyalty than true opinions of a product, but since I’m stuck I’ll ask anyway. By the way I am leaning a little towards the Losi because I have a Losi 8ight-T, and I also have an Turmoil Pro which is a nice buggy and if I can't make up my mind I'll just put a faster engine in it for now and hold off on the buggy.

My choices are Losi 8ight, Ofna Habao 8.5, and the XRAY XB8. What is the difference between the XRAY XB8 EC and the XRAY XB8R, I know the EC stands for European Champion but I don't know the difference in the buggies, as far as components go.

Instead of telling me why you like your buggy tell me what you don't like about it, is it hard to wrench on, is the differential access a pain, is the motor mount crap is the radio tray junk and what has broken that could be a better part, any thing else you can think of put it in your post.

One other thing, I'm planning on going with an O.S. engine the .21 VZB or the speed is the extra $200 worth the money to get the speed version or would I be better off getting a modified engine that A Main sells. Links below to all. Thank you for any comments.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/13499

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/5379

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/6558

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/10106

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/9107
Old 10-19-2007, 02:35 PM
Da Smak
Banned

Default RE: New Buggy comments please

I reckon the 8.5 is the best way for you to go and the speed version is worth the money as it is a modified V-spec, with ceramic bearings, adjusted timing and balanced crank.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:54 PM
SManMTB

XB8EC:

Weak points:
Plastic braces take a beating on a track with big jumps and the chassis flexes a bit much but it works really well, just keep an eye on it.
Excentric bushings for caster adj in the front rotate in the arms. The V2 versions should take care of that but that's extra $$$. I've heard they rotate too.
The steel parts are softer than the original XB8 and TQ so turn buckles bend. Not a hug eproblem but I've bent mine.
Plastic excentric bushings for the suspension hingepins wear out fast. Cheap to replace but annoying.
The drive train wears faster than my Kyosho (universals) but it's still good stuff and not a huge deal.

Strong points:
Easy to work on. The design is almost identical to a Kyosho MP777 with a few improvement making it easier to work on.
Handles great.
Shocks are very good but needs attention like any other. They started leaking after two long hard race weekends. Nothing major.
Old 10-19-2007, 04:41 PM
haasjj

Great information thank you.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:14 PM
ringneck

xray just cause you cant beat the quality its not always the fastest buggy on the track but i will assure you it is the most dependable and will out last anything out there.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:59 PM
Karter01

All 3 are good buggies. Right now, you will see a lot of Losi's on the track, extremely popular buggy. They are fast, but they have a lot of bugs in them. You can't go wrong with the Xray, like other people have said, they have the best quality, period. And to be honest with you, I haven't seen or heard much about the 8.5.
I would go with the Xray to be honest with you.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:33 PM
Da Smak
Banned

Out of those 3 the Losi is the worst on reliability.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:50 PM
rcboxer

I Have had losi buggys and truggys. reliability was the best i have seen. My buddy had a 8T and only broke a rear outer hinge pin, thats it, and i have only broken a losi buggy a-arm from going head on with another buggy. My truggy i dont remember if i ever broke it. I know i had some loose screws fall out to end a race but i dont remember if i ever broke it.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:26 PM
Dawman
My Feedback: (33)

ORIGINAL: Da Smak

Out of those 3 the Losi is the worst on reliability.

Are you kidding ? I`ve had mine over a year and only broke a front arm when landing wrong doing a stupid stunt . There are at least 10-12 of them where I race out of 15-20 racers and never have any major problems .

That being said , I think the 8.5 will be the best bet . The Losi is not for everyone and the 8.5 is just as good if not better on big tracks IMO . I had a Hyper 8 and sold it to get a Losi and when racing outdoor this summer I wish I still had it . but now racing indoors I wouldn`t give up my Losi for anything .
Old 10-19-2007, 11:47 PM
SManMTB

Old 10-19-2007, 11:59 PM
haasjj

SManMTB LOL thats what i was thinking when I asked but I nedded more info to make my final choice.

To the rest thank you all for your help and comments, and if any one has any more info please post.
Old 10-20-2007, 06:23 AM
jonnymac

I voted X-ray because overall its the best buggy.
The hyper 8.5 though is quite a bit cheaper and offers the best value for money.
All 3 will be fast but i would chhose from those 2 personaly
Old 10-20-2007, 10:03 AM
Da Smak
Banned

WARNING!!!
Attached Images  
Old 10-20-2007, 10:58 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Xray here too, cos I'm a shameless fanboy.
Old 10-20-2007, 01:27 PM
Osirisf16

About buggy...KYOSHO RUUUUULES man. I have a MP777 and i am VERY VERY VERY BUT VERY HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-20-2007, 01:33 PM
Anthoop

I voted Ofna purely on the basis that i have three Ofna cars and i like how they are put together.However from what i have read (on many forums) you wont go far wrong with any of these cars.
Old 10-21-2007, 03:09 AM
haasjj

ORIGINAL: Anthoop

I voted Ofna purely on the basis that i have three Ofna cars and i like how they are put together.However from what i have read (on many forums) you wont go far wrong with any of these cars.

Yeah thats why it is a hard decision for me all are top rated and all are winning races ,not that I will be winning with one of these but a good car can't hurt my chances. Well thank all of you who posted and once again any more info on the cars would be great. As far as the vote goes right now the Ofna is winning, well at least I have time to decide. I can race my Turmoil for this winter we do about one race a month in an indoor arena just for fun.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:10 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

I have been running the Hyper 8 this past year and put many a gallon on it (9 plus) and have had very little breakage or problems. I am so pleased with it I am up grading it to an 8.5. I just wish there where more big name racers running it in the states but if you look in other countries it does quite well. All so the Hyper 8.5 is the 2007 European champion.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:42 PM
haasjj

I was wondering when you were gonna chime in 46U I know when i read other threads you always talk about your Hyper 8. Thank you btw.
Old 10-21-2007, 01:15 PM
Raycer X

I vote for Xray as well. I'm not a fanboy, I've had the Mugen MBX5R, Losi 8ight, and Kyosho WC. They all started to show slop at two gallons while my first XB8 was still solid at four gallons! The quality is AMAZING! I jump the onto the Losi bandwagon and I just hated how the thing was put together. It was a PAIN to get to the center diff and the shocks always leaked. I liked that it drove like an electric buggy and it's light weight. I know of some other people who have gone back to their original buggies before they got the Losi and had the same experience as me. Kyosho's design is just outdated, and what's with the woodscrews and e-clips. Get with the times man! I also got sick of shimming the heck out of my diffs.

Mugen comes in at a close second due to the plastics wearing out early but it's a tank otherwise. The XB8EC is just perfect for me. If you want a quality kit that's solid, easy to build and an all around performer, I'd go with the Xray.
Old 10-21-2007, 01:34 PM
RcRacer37E

ORIGINAL: Osirisf16

About buggy...KYOSHO RUUUUULES man. I have a MP777 and i am VERY VERY VERY BUT VERY HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
KYOSHO TEAM RED Save your money and get the K car. The WC edition is the best of the best. It may cost more than the other buggies but there is a reason for that. It just that much better.
Old 10-21-2007, 01:40 PM
Da Smak
Banned

ORIGINAL: nascardad24

ORIGINAL: Osirisf16

KYOSHO TEAM RED Save your money and get the K car. The WC edition is the best of the best. It may cost more than the other buggies but there is a reason for that. It just that much better.
But it's not. It's just overpriced for what you get and the XB8 is far better quality.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:07 PM
SManMTB

I'd say Kyosho is higher quality than XRAY.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:17 PM
Da Smak
Banned

Well we finally disagree again.
Old 10-21-2007, 03:23 PM
SManMTB

lol