Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

NOVAK will kill Nitro Engines !!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 09:14 PM
rologti

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: NOVAK will kill Nitro Engines !!

ORIGINAL: FlyinGN

all very valid and good points.. Lets al agree that we all love Rc racing.. no matter electric or nitro its all fun..

ORIGINAL: j_blaze

electrics SUCK!
if you've never seen 1/8 scale electric on a track it is understandable you feel this way. if you are at a track on a race day and there is a 1/8 scale electric on the track you will b blown away. they accelerate so fast they hardly need any run up on big jumps. think what that can do to track design, more jumps? they are so fast on the straight you almost can't drive them, how would that affect track design? the brakes are a down fall cause you have to brake early then take the turn on-power or you do a powerslide into the tirn and push out. not good. you can have dual servos but the added weight defeats the purpose and may be too heavy to race with then. a good driver with a properly set-up electric will be even or maybe better than an equal driver with the same properly set-up nitro buggy. track layout has a lot to do with it too, some tracks nitro would win in but other tracks (that have never been seen before) e would win hands down. i have seen an e8 on a track and it was crazy how far it could jump with so little run-up, it would turn inside all the nitro's all day and jump past them too, wouldn't that be an advantage for the e? also all you need as equipmet is tool box, charger/discharger, radio, tires and an outlet. no more clutch shoes either but you may need a laptop to program esc too.

on the other hand nitro is way more complicated and some people like that, the combinations of engine tune and temp, pipe, oil mixture to nitro, engine porting are all part of racing today, to eliminate that would be sacrilegious in a way. the smell of the fumes, the rev of the engine and the pressure of running on fumes on the last lap trying to shorten your pits is pretty cool. i guess batteries are similar in a way.

i definitely want to try it out at least (gotta $ave up $ome loot fir$t, e i$ not cheep). i'll have something i can "drive" when i run out of plugs or pop a clutch spring or some other minor damage happens that ends your day early. i see it as just being another class to race in in the future, same as 1/10 has e buggy, mod buggy, st, gas truck, mod truck, 4w4 and so on. thats just my $.02.
Yes, what would happen if in a year o so, i end with one of those in my garage???

I will have to eat my words....glup!

Old 11-29-2007, 09:58 PM
thopper

No matter how you slice lipo/brushless is here to stay and will impact nitro....faster, cleaner and easier..I predicted this a year ago and remain
steadfast in this belief. The only threat other threat to nitro is weedackers....the baja5 is simple, faster then nitros and more reliable....this is my favorite venue.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:39 AM
FoamyVictim

I agree, it will impact it. It may even become a new class, which I would enjoy such no frills racing. The durability of 8th scale and the ease of electric. It would be great for beginners too. However, until they make them with brake bias, and I have seen it done, it's mainly a basher option.

The only threat other threat to nitro is weedackers....the baja5 is simple, faster then nitros and more reliable...
I know a few guys with those, and they have one major problem. Space, it uses lots of it. You'd need a pretty big track to actually race those huge cars.

At our local track, where 8th scale buggies and truggies all have room to race 7 cars deep, the 5B can't get around it any where near as fast. I can't imagine what 7 of those things would look like. They might make fun bashers, but unless you have a pretty big track, they'd be allot slower than nitro 8th scales.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:42 AM
haasjj

This thread is almost funny with the way you are worring those terrible electric cars. The only way nitro will ever disapear in our life times is if some goverment agency decides that they are harmful to the enviroment. Like the exhaust and fuel and so on, but before that happens all gas and diesel running vehicles would go first.
So stop worring about it, if you don't want to go electric you don't have to. I like both electric and nitro and will probably refit my Turmoil to electric after I buy a Ofna Hyper 8.5 and my new OS 21, but then the Turmoil will be for bashing and racing if they ever open a class for electric buggys. I also fly both electric and glow/nitro heli's and fly glow airplanes and plan on buying a small electric plane soon. In planes and heli's electric have advantages and disadvantages. In my case I like to fly the Raptor much more than my
T-Rex but its hard to put the Raptor under the bunk of my semi and the Trex fits nicely and I don't have to worry about carring around all the extra gear and fuel needed for the Raptor.

Old 11-30-2007, 07:18 AM
happywing

There will be a choice for years and years to come. Just because nitro 1/8's is the slower class, does not mean the class will disappear. Over time, maybe. The thing is that fast guys always want to go faster. Many do not care about the noise, smell, tinkering/tuning issues. They just want to get the best lap times that they can.
Now, for those who are questioning gender, consider this. The electric vehicle is faster and you will get beat.
[link]http://www.rctech.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=288043&d=1196003150[/link]
These are all electric entries from our race last weekend. The white MBX5T and white MBX5 are mine.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:02 AM
Da Smak
Banned

ORIGINAL: FoamyVictim

No doubt electric brushless cars will gain popularity, but replacing nitro is about as likely to happen as electric passenger jets...
I'd hold your breath on that one, duel fuel aircraft are being looked at seriously now. You only need the power of an engine to get up there atm, but soon it may be possibly to havea motor strong enough for a light aircraft to fly without a conventional engine.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:05 AM
FoamyVictim

They already have a propeller version, I was referring to Jet Turbines. As far as I know, there are no propeller powered full scale planes that have the cruising speed or range of jet turbine powered aircraft.

This thread is almost funny with the way you are worring those terrible electric cars.
We're not worried...like I said, most of us would welcome the electric versions. Then we'd tell them "Good Luck" in the 45 minute mains... they'd need their own class for the mains, and there won't be enough of them for a little while longer...at least around here.

People stop by the track on a regular basis to check out what's going on. During the 8th scale buggy and truggy classes, they're glued to the fence watching the action. Then an electric class starts, and the crowd thins out. I have nothing against electrics, I own a few, but they don't appeal to new people like the nitros. [8D]
Old 11-30-2007, 10:24 AM
Da Smak
Banned

ORIGINAL: FoamyVictim

They already have a propeller version, I was referring to Jet Turbines. As far as I know, there are no propeller powered full scale planes that have the cruising speed or range of jet turbine powered aircraft.
Ah but there is, and there has been for many years. The most likely thing to replace gas turbines though is the pulse engine, but still in it's infancy it's not quite up to the power requierements of a modest aircraft yet.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:24 AM
FoamyVictim

I can't wait to see such a thing. I watched the Ram Jet project go down in flames, so hopefully NASA won't lose all its funding and have to scrap the idea. Imagine, a super-sonic, near orbital plane, getting you from New York to Japan in 2 hours!

Sorry for going so far off topic guys, but I'm a Discovery Channel Nerd!
Old 12-01-2007, 10:49 AM
xxturbowesxx

i dont like electric because of charge times and runtime.. back when i had my xxx4 i spent 70% of my time toting a charger, power supply,fans which was fine at the time it wasnt an issue i could dedicate a whole day to rc.. now all i need is my roto start glow igniter and some fuel in the tank..yesturday i got off at 4 it gets dark at 6 so i rushed home grabbed my car radio rotostart some fuel and my rotorstart and im off carrying everything in one trip.. i get to the track insert fuel and crank and have fun.. i was driving the car at 4:15.. that same scenario played out with electric i would have had to grab my tool box with all my chargers and crap. get there and setup all my stuff then start charging.. about an hour later im ready to go.. i dont have a whole day to dedicate to rc so nitro fits me...but the brushless are faster there is no denial there... but ill be running while hes charging f'ing batteries..
Old 12-01-2007, 04:48 PM
Da Smak
Banned

ORIGINAL: xxturbowesxx

i dont like electric because of charge times and runtime.. back when i had my xxx4 i spent 70% of my time toting a charger, power supply,fans which was fine at the time it wasnt an issue i could dedicate a whole day to rc.. now all i need is my roto start glow igniter and some fuel in the tank..yesturday i got off at 4 it gets dark at 6 so i rushed home grabbed my car radio rotostart some fuel and my rotorstart and im off carrying everything in one trip.. i get to the track insert fuel and crank and have fun.. i was driving the car at 4:15.. that same scenario played out with electric i would have had to grab my tool box with all my chargers and crap. get there and setup all my stuff then start charging.. about an hour later im ready to go.. i dont have a whole day to dedicate to rc so nitro fits me...but the brushless are faster there is no denial there... but ill be running while hes charging f'ing batteries..
You need 2 rotostarts? Damn thats a tough cookie to fire up.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:28 AM
happywing

Sounds like old-school electric. With the new stuff, I could be ready just as fast and get more runtime than you in an average session...And woop you as well.
Old 12-02-2007, 12:38 PM
fz1

This has been a big debate here in ohio. Most of the debate is should the 2 types of buggys be run at the same time.
My forum I started a poll to see what people thought on this. Not a plug for my forum: www.thedriversstand.com
I feel that electric conversions is a good thing and I will race both types. No way should nitro engine makers be worried about this change. This just gives more options for racers to use in their racing.
This race yesterday had 1 brushless buggy running with the nitros.

http://www.bumps-n-jumps.com/files/1...cale_buggy.HTM

Gary johnson was running the brushless buggy.

In january at the indoor champs in columbus there will be a special race just for 1/8th buggys. This is to show people what this type of racing will be like with all electric buggys. I hear that they have over 10 entered at this point. There are several manifactures supporting this race.

I feel that both types will survive as some of us like nitro. But the 2 different power plants makes the class mixed up and they should be kept seperate because of the differences in mechanical aspects of the two. Nitro cars have a disadvantage when compared equally to a nitro.
You will see makers of cars coming out with kits that are all ready electric setup soon. Plan on it.
Old 12-02-2007, 01:32 PM
Da Smak
Banned

Well yes, I think sticking them on the track at the same time would prove something...

1. The electrics would be quicker on the straights.

2. The nitros would be quicker through the twists.

3. The electrics would be quieter.

4. The electrics should win all the heats.

5 and most importantly. NO electric would ever win the main.
Old 12-02-2007, 02:25 PM
FlyinGN

good post. So.. the electric was over 4 seconds slower per lap.. interesting..

BUT I agree. They should have a nitro AND an electric 1/8 class. Everybody can be happy then...

ORIGINAL: fz1

This has been a big debate here in ohio. Most of the debate is should the 2 types of buggys be run at the same time.
My forum I started a poll to see what people thought on this. Not a plug for my forum: www.thedriversstand.com
I feel that electric conversions is a good thing and I will race both types. No way should nitro engine makers be worried about this change. This just gives more options for racers to use in their racing.
This race yesterday had 1 brushless buggy running with the nitros.

http://www.bumps-n-jumps.com/files/1...cale_buggy.HTM

Gary johnson was running the brushless buggy.

In january at the indoor champs in columbus there will be a special race just for 1/8th buggys. This is to show people what this type of racing will be like with all electric buggys. I hear that they have over 10 entered at this point. There are several manifactures supporting this race.

I feel that both types will survive as some of us like nitro. But the 2 different power plants makes the class mixed up and they should be kept seperate because of the differences in mechanical aspects of the two. Nitro cars have a disadvantage when compared equally to a nitro.
You will see makers of cars coming out with kits that are all ready electric setup soon. Plan on it.
Old 12-02-2007, 03:36 PM
Dokioto

ORIGINAL: FlyinGN
BUT I agree. They should have a nitro AND an electric 1/8 class. Everybody can be happy then...
I see this happening.. They have 1/10 nitro and electric touring cars and they don't run together.. Same thing with every other scale/class. Why would 1/8 be any different?

45+ mains with an electric.. There are going to be some slow pit stops..
Old 12-02-2007, 08:59 PM
happywing

ORIGINAL: Dokioto
45+ mains with an electric.. There are going to be some slow pit stops..
Two pitstops with an electric. 6 pitstops with a nitro.
Old 12-02-2007, 11:26 PM
FoamyVictim

It would make more sense to separate the classes, and run shorter mains for the electrics; maybe even multiple mains....

Either way, we'll just have to wait and see...
Old 12-04-2007, 11:10 AM
xxturbowesxx

ORIGINAL: happywing

Sounds like old-school electric. With the new stuff, I could be ready just as fast and get more runtime than you in an average session...And woop you as well.
the losi xxx-4 g+ is hardly old school they still sell it. i had a lrp quantum 2 and 10 double team revolution motors. i was racing it about a year ago.. how would you be ready just as fast as me and get more runtime? you can run for 11 min then die then just fill back up and continue? i dont think so. you would have to solder up a new batt pack that you charged up and then let the other one cool off before you can start charging that one again... im not saying electric is slow my xxx-4 will run circles around 1/8th scale on a tight track.. im saying there is much more gear to tote around.. and way more prep that comes along with electric
Old 12-04-2007, 03:11 PM
Da Smak
Banned

the losi xxx-4 g+ is hardly old school they still sell it. i had a lrp quantum 2 and 10 double team revolution motors. i was racing it about a year ago.. how would you be ready just as fast as me and get more runtime? you can run for 11 min then die then just fill back up and continue? i dont think so. you would have to solder up a new batt pack that you charged up and then let the other one cool off before you can start charging that one again... im not saying electric is slow my xxx-4 will run circles around 1/8th scale on a tight track.. im saying there is much more gear to tote around.. and way more prep that comes along with electric
Well that is a NOOBIE response. Don't you think that somehow they would turn up with 6 ready made battery packs and have them charged up ready to go. Then for changing the batteries, I remember an old class of car which had a grab handle to realease the batt for a quick change, a pit stop would be aroud 3 seconds max, now they would have to change 2 batts on the 1/8th but that could be done in 5 seconds which easily matches the nitros top up.

I dont ever remember any racer EVER stoping the car in the pits and having his/her pitcrew pull the battery and think "that's a bit hot, think I'll just build up a new pack, charge it, wait for it to cool then slap it in the car and throw it back on the track". I wonder why that is
Old 12-04-2007, 06:04 PM
RBMike

I think electric will become more dominate in racing for 1 reason & 1 alone. Because you can put the track anywhere & no one will complain about the noise. 2 out of 3 of the last "home" tracks I regularly went too (for 1/8th scale) have closed due to noise. The 1/10th scale track that I race at now had room to build an 1/8th scale track but could not due to niose. The most succesfull (finacially) tracks are ones located in highly populated areas where no one wants to here the noise. With electric that issue is gone. I love nitro but there are not many tracks. I can afford to drive out to the boonies where most of the nitro tracks are but most people don't even know they exsist. The busiest track I ever saw was located in a mall parking lot but that only lasted 2 summers before noise complaints killed it.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:24 PM
metroman

I see you from Santa Clara, and it does suck out here for us because there is no tracks to really race at. Probably the best place I know of (that isn't more than an hour drive) is the one in Fremont which is not properly maintained. You gotta go all the way to Antioch, which is kind a far for me to really race at a nice groomed track.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:23 PM
happywing

i dont like electric because of charge times and runtime.....that same scenario played out with electric i would have had to grab my tool box with all my chargers and crap. get there and setup all my stuff then start charging.. about an hour later im ready to go.. i dont have a whole day to dedicate to rc so nitro fits me...but the brushless are faster there is no denial there... but ill be running while hes charging f'ing batteries..
I had a G+. Great buggy, but it sounds like you are talking about brushed and NiMh. That's where the "old-school" comes from. EVERYBODY around here can run more than 11 minutes and nobody has to wait for batteries to "cool off." LiPo's don't get hot. I ran many 20 minute mains without stopping for a battery change. By the way, I use connectors and one battery. No soldering in the pits! As for lap times, my 1/8 truggy lap times would have put me in the 7th position of the 1/10 4wd A-main in my last race. They were among the best times of ANY vehicle in the building...on a small/indoor track. I have run both electric and nitro. I no longer "tote" gallons of fuel. I no longer "tote" a starter box. Yes, there is a charger and batteries....Isn't there a charging and batteries needed to run nitro? No comparison in the "tote" department.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:42 AM
xxturbowesxx

im not to familiar with lipo but i doubt every racer uses them..they had deans connectors but we just took them off and soldered directly to the esc for less resistance. and my point was the prep takes awhile with electric thats all for example showing up with 6 batts charged.. thats a significant amount of prep if you ask me..in the "old school" you didnt have a 130 degree battery after a run..then turn around and put a charge to it you had to wait.. lipos dont get hot thats cool but you still have to charge them... and i had alot more invested in my electrics than my nitro vehicles.. how much did those 6 lipo batteries cost exactly? you could argue that nitro is 25 a gallon but in reality a gallon is going to last awhile and whats the realistic batt life of a lipo battery i know that my old school batteries would last about a year then they are trash and i had around 8 of those at 60-80 a pop it adds up..
Old 12-05-2007, 12:19 PM
Da Smak
Banned

Stop with the electric toting, it aint gonna wash, we need batteries to charge quickly too in electric RX and TX, they may only be small but I still use a top of the line charger to get the job done right.

As for nitro usage, for a race day I'd probably get through 2 litres (1/2 US Gallon), which at £25 ($52) an Imp Gallon (~5 Litres) X 46 weeks of annual racing at 1 day a week = 18.4 Imperial Gallons per year = £460/year just on fuel to race, then there is the testing, tuning, bashing and warming up.

BTW if you can get nitor for $25 a gallon then I want the website addy now. I've never heard of anywhere so cheap and I can't even get the components to make it myself that cheap.

You just need to admit that there is more prep work involved in nitro and we'll leave off you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.