Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Anyone own a Ofna Ultra LX1??

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 03:50 AM
Dokioto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Anyone own a Ofna Ultra LX1??

Giving me a few ideas with those pics..
I looked at the carbon fiber parts a long time ago and decided to just by something more useful, but I love the look of it.

Why the move with the battery? Did you cut down the radio box your self (looks very cleanly cut if so)?

Have you been running it with 2wd and the center spool? If so that explains the problems with gears..
I just looked at your last post and totally missed you saying your running a center diff... This is way harder on the differentials; I would just run heavier silicon oil.

Your picks really make me want to do more work on my car. It is way to cold outside here to drive it now (run it a lot in the summer) but a few new shinny parts aren't going to hurt it. I haven't put oil in the diffs yet and really need to get that done (been using grease). Those carbon fiber parts would look great next to my green engine head! Might have to think about this because I also need a new video card for my computer and these aren't cheep.

I have my LX1 in "My Models" and "Gallery".. Mostly up to date but the pics are a little behind.

Losi 8ight...Pshhh, When you got that beastly thing you don't need one of them. You and your boy have done a great job, I am falling behind
Old 01-02-2009, 07:33 AM
bronx boy

Thanks alot i was not quite sure which one to get .But all of you cant be wrong .I will go with the ultra lx 1.Like i said im a weekend warrior with my 7 year old godson he lost his mom to cancer last year so whatever i can do keep him happy is worth it to me .I will be keeping you informed on my new baby when it comes.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:08 AM
Dokioto

^ I am sorry about your loss.

He will cheer right when he hears it scream right down the road
Old 01-02-2009, 10:29 AM
canuck5902

I just got mine a couple months ago and have started the winter fix ups. About to do the diffs and just finished putting new oil in the shocks and adding new springs. I recommend changing your shock oil as well. My shocks were laying on their side for awhile, when I picked them up and ran them through the paces there was slop when changing direction. I believe this was from air in them from improper assembly.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:26 AM
drbelleville

Well we had the problem with the diffs in 4wd drive "mode" so we switched to 2wd after I had talked of the days of racing 2wd in the early 80's. Right now the diff is holding up well right now since running the 14T clutch bell. Glad you like the lid mod, it was cut down on a band saw. The battery was moved to be more accesible, and also to distribute more weight forward. Ideally we would move it to the front to the left of the steering servo, but for that we need an older fuel tank with less capacity, and my sons not to keen on that idea. The xtreme carbon stuff is pretty good, its holding up well. We did not buy the carbon shock towers though, as the front upper hinge pin would have to be supported by the carbon fiber, and in a "good" crash I am not sure if that would hold up to well. Thats why we went with the PCR Items. We have been toying with the idea of dropping in an OS .18 TZ, which would increase run time, drop some weight and maybe be less strain on the drive train. Right now I am working on a "Slipper" style insert for the center diff to relieve more strain and smooth out the power delivery.

Thanks for all the positive comments and support.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:32 AM
Dokioto

Nice plan.. Getting me all excited
Old 01-02-2009, 11:57 AM
motionmachine

ORIGINAL: Dokioto

Yea the new LX1 is great.. Comes with way better shocks then the previous Ultras..

1998? Have they changed the drive train up a little since then? I know the Ultra platform hasn't change a lot but I have noticed a lot less problems the newer they get.. Like the better shocks that are now included with the LX1.

The one thing I hate about the car is the stock radio gear.. Garbage in my opinion. I bought JR XS3 transmitter and better servos a while ago to fix the problem (great deal at A Main Hobbies $99). After about 2-3 quarts of fuel my engine had a heat attack. The connecting rod broke in half and tore up everything. Instead of rebuilding it I put in a Axial .28 and I haven't had any big problems since. One of the big reasons the engine died was because it wasn't fully broke in (takes about a gallon for this engine) and I was being hard on it.

Have had it for a while and would recommend it.

I don't quite remember but when I was about to buy this buggy I was also looking at the Hyper 7. (I think that was it) Chose the LX1 because the Hyper didn't have a sealed radio box like I wanted (easy as that)..
If it aint broke, dont fix it...
Over the last decade the ultra's have recieved many suspension updates, KPS, PBS, C-Hub. The chassis has recieved a few updates along the way, kick up, larger radio box, larger fuel tank, better shocks, chassis struts in lue of traditional bracing, thicker shock towers. The only significant driveline "update" worth mentioning is the grubless cap joints. Back in its infancy, the Ultra World buggy was the boom.
Unfortunitely, Ofna still equip's there RTR's with very low quality radio systems and underpowered servo's as to just barely meet minimum "RTR" standards and should be amoung the first upgrades considered IMO. They likely do that to keep the initial cost down to attract newbs.

ORIGINAL: drbelleville

Yeah its pretty much the same since they started as the Ultra GT: THe chassis is much better now, and the updates to the front brace, better suspension and shocks. Here are a few pics that I found just to show. Its come a long way since the 2mm shock towers and all-thread "turnbuckles". Keeps getting better.

you can find them on Ofnas site http://www.ofna.com/ugtlx.html
Actually, the Ultra's legacy dates back to the Worlds buggy, released in the mid 1990's I believe.
That Ultra GT LX in your link is the latest "updated" version, my old school Ultra GT LX set up is quite different.

Old 01-02-2009, 01:39 PM
drbelleville

Got any pics of your buggy, would be cool to see how far the chassis has come. I had forgotten about the Worlds version, I did remember there was a Worlds 2. I think the chassis started with the HODR platform with Hong Nor. Here are a few "vintage" HODR / Ultra pics I dug up.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23729.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	1101572   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je11106.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	1101573   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu51282.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	1101574   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lf94378.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	1101575  
Old 01-02-2009, 03:30 PM
motionmachine

Heres some old pics of my old school Ultra GT LX, for what there worth. Long before truggies became cool, I was and still do convert all my Ultra buggies to kick ace truggies (Monster Blazer GT's and GTX's), with the exception of an LX Comp that I rarely ever run..

Anyhow, the old'er Ultra chassis utilized a radio tray spanning the full length of the chassis (truss type) that looked much like the one shown below and had a Y brace up front spanning from the servo saver post to the top of the trans mount. The radio RX was housed in a tiny radio box that bolted on top of the radio tray and the batt was zip tied under it for easy access. I actually prefer the old set up compared to the updated chassis, IMO its more rigid (less chassis flex).

I'll see if I can dig up any older buggy top shots...
Old 01-02-2009, 03:46 PM
motionmachine

Heres a better chassis shot of a pre-updated Ultra chassis, this one belongs to a friend. Overlook the ceter top plate and larger spur gear, its been truggyized...

Old 01-02-2009, 06:33 PM
jamstar47

motion machine : what are the parts u used to convert the buggy ?
Old 01-02-2009, 08:44 PM
motionmachine

ORIGINAL: jamstar47

motion machine : what are the parts u used to convert the buggy ?
I was afraid someone might ask that.. Now how do I respond without sounding like a salesman? LMAO
Sorry, but with the exception of the spur gear (OFN18163), you wont find any of them parts at your LHS or Ofna.
Those aluminum wheels, the 4130 CMT 8 pt rollcage, and the Ultra GT (Great Truggy) conversion kit (shown below) are all mine. I once designed, produced and sold various RC hop ups and/or upgrades, now I just fend for myself and close friends however, I still have a few GT Kits left if you or others are interested... Shoot me a PM for details.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:18 PM
wminmi
My Feedback: (26)

ORIGINAL: motionmachine

the 4130 CMT 8 pt rollcage
Got a question for ya MM, when building your own rollcage, what size/type welder did you use to weld it all together?

Been wanting to build my own cages, but thinking my 175 Hobart mig may be a little much.....
Old 01-03-2009, 07:29 AM
IrishNitro

Hi there ,

Can anyone recomend an electric or hand held starter for my LX-1, i have melted two pull cords on the exhaust . probally inexperience but still a pain in the ass. Thanks
Old 01-03-2009, 07:46 AM
canuck5902

I was also wondering which drill start to buy? My buddie bought a starter box for his lx-1 and we never got it to start.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:44 AM
jamstar47

the ofna torque start will work i have it on mine but after a while the gear in the torque start wears down

this is the back plate

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMRL9&P=7

and this is the drill

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXTUZ5&P=7
Old 01-03-2009, 01:25 PM
motionmachine

ORIGINAL: wminmi

ORIGINAL: motionmachine

the 4130 CMT 8 pt rollcage
Got a question for ya MM, when building your own rollcage, what size/type welder did you use to weld it all together?

Been wanting to build my own cages, but thinking my 175 Hobart mig may be a little much.....
Im no professional welder in any sence of the word. I use a 115vt FarmHand Pro Fluxcore wirefeed welder w/ gas and the smallest wire available for my personal cages. I approach it much like spot welding to avoid burning/blowing holes in the extremely thin material (.038"), needless to say its a slow labor intensive process.
Took me many months of searching to find a fab shop with the right equipment and a most competent professional welder to tig weld customers cages. Finally found the shop in the most unusaul of places, a commercial supply and fab shop that supplies and fabricates custom stainless steel counter tops, SS sinks, and what not for hospitals and restarants. On his best day, takes him about 1.25 hours to weld up one cage...
Old 01-03-2009, 07:56 PM
Dokioto

I just use a starter box, much easier in my opinion.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:08 PM
motionmachine

Look through this link, [link=http://www.ofna.com/start.html]Ofna Starting Equipment[/link] and can be purchased through your LHS or [link=http://www.nitrohouse.com/catalog/]NitroHouse.com[/link].
Personally, I have used Ofna's Chrome Top starter box (10253 w/ power panel) since 1999, love it.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:17 PM
canuck5902

Has anyone tried a starter box with the lx-1 and the stock motor. We had the box hooked to a good car battery and had no success.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:24 PM
motionmachine

ORIGINAL: canuck5902

Has anyone tried a starter box with the lx-1 and the stock motor. We had the box hooked to a good car battery and had no success.
I start all my Ultra's fitted with hipo engines with a starter box (10253), not a problem. What starter box are yall using?
Old 01-06-2009, 05:34 PM
canuck5902

Losi box and the stock .28 is in the car still.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:45 PM
IrishNitro

hi i had a crash , straight into a brick wall very fast . i bent the drive shaft between the front and centre diffs ,which i know i can replace but now the chasse seems to be slightly curved up just around the front wheels . Is the slight curve normal maybe it was always there or was it caused by the crash ???.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:35 PM
Dokioto

ORIGINAL: canuck5902

Losi box and the stock .28 is in the car still.
Not enough power in the starter.. Break in the engine with the pull start, and after that it will work like a charm. Or get more power.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:37 PM
Dokioto

ORIGINAL: IrishNitro

hi i had a crash , straight into a brick wall very fast . i bent the drive shaft between the front and centre diffs ,which i know i can replace but now the chasse seems to be slightly curved up just around the front wheels . Is the slight curve normal maybe it was always there or was it caused by the crash ???.
Yeah there is a bend normally in the chassis.. If you bent the drive shaft though, I would bet you bent a lot of things...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.