Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Using a heat gun to break in..

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 04:51 PM
Reb2973

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using a heat gun to break in..

My new Novarossi N21B engine will be here soon and I keep reading on how you should use a heat gun when breaking in a .21 engine. I have only broken in 2 engines before in my Revo and didnt need a heat gun. Im going to go buy a heat gun and was wondering how you go about heating it up. I can see getting to one side of the motor with the heat gun ,but the receiver box would be in the way of the other side...I would think you would have to heat it up evenly around the motor and would like some advice from you guys on how you go about it. Thanks.
Old 12-15-2007, 05:24 PM
jatoracing33

Default RE: Using a heat gun to break in..

use it on the top of the cooling head down in the glow plug area. using a heat gun should make it alot easier to start that 1st time
Old 12-15-2007, 05:30 PM
Reb2973

Ok thanks, I wasnt sure if you had to heat it down by the crankcase/head or what.
Old 12-15-2007, 05:40 PM
jonnymac

Its the pinch at the top of the sleeve that really needs to be heated. This expands and allows the piston to pass more freely.
Thats why you heat the head.
Old 12-15-2007, 05:58 PM
Reb2973

yeah I figured down by the head but was looking and figured I could only get to one side of it. So just shooting it straight down towards the glow plug is the ticket right? I just want to make sure cause my starter box that came with my hyper 7 dont fit 100% correctly even after I did some tweaking on it, so I figure start with piston at the bottom, maybe a few drops of ARO and a heat gun to make it easier on everything.
Old 12-15-2007, 06:04 PM
jonnymac

Yep, loosen the glowplug a little too as there will be tons of compression. Just tighten it up when it starts.
Old 12-15-2007, 06:16 PM
Reb2973

Ok thanks.
Old 12-15-2007, 06:41 PM
j_blaze

using a heat gun should make it alot easier to start that 1st time
actually it would help on the first start of the day all the time too. remember aro too
Old 12-15-2007, 06:59 PM
Reb2973

I use ARO after Im done for the day, do you guys add more before you fire it up again? Lets say the weekend after, even on an engine thats broke in? Might be a little helpfull hint i have not heard of yet.
Old 12-16-2007, 06:57 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

I know it is hard to get to the entire engine with a heat gun but I try to heat up my engines as evenly as I can. No I would not worry about after run oil before starting just after you are done running for the day.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:58 AM
Osirisf16

Why heat ENTIRE engine? We heat only the head because of the cylinder. We only use heat guns AT FIRST TIME WITH A BRAND NEW ENGINE. We do this to make our cylinder (sleeve) "open" so the piston moves easier. Then, the break-in does the whole job
Old 12-17-2007, 09:21 PM
46u

When the engine runs does just the head or cylinder area get warm? NO I think you want the whole engine warm not just one part. Just my opinion and is how I do it and prefer the whole thing be at near the same temperature so all the metal expends at the same rate.
Old 12-18-2007, 07:12 AM
Osirisf16

Why you think that we heat the engine? It is a fact that the brand new engines are very hard to spin, even with a starter box. The heat gun or a simple hairdryer, is used to heat the cylinder and achieve the movement of the piston through the cylinder easier.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:35 PM
46u

The reason is to cut down on undo stress on the engine not only on the piston and sleeve but all so the rod and other components for a better break in. Yes it makes the engine easier to turn over as well. But what every makes you happy.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:00 AM
Osirisf16

I don't know for the other components but your target is the sleeve and also by heating the sleeve, the other parts around it heat as well
Old 12-19-2007, 04:10 PM
rabidsquirrel

You want to heat soak the whole engine (To the degree that it is possible) with the heat gun. Taking care that you aren't putting too much heat on the surrounding bits (Battery box, for example).

Yes, primarily you are trying to expand the piston sleeve to allow freer movement on startup/break-in, however, the whole engine goes through a break-in to some extent. Not just the piston and sleeve. You want to pre-heat the whole engine as much as possible prior to starting up the engine - especially during break-in period or cold days at the track.

I just finished breaking in my Novarossi PLUS 21-5K via the heat cycle method. I also pre-heat the engine before every start, if the motor is cold or hasn't been started in a while that day. It ultimately reduces wear and tear, same as applying ARO to it and spinning her over a few times at the end of your day does.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:48 PM
46u

ORIGINAL: rabidsquirrel

You want to heat soak the whole engine (To the degree that it is possible) with the heat gun. Taking care that you aren't putting too much heat on the surrounding bits (Battery box, for example).

Yes, primarily you are trying to expand the piston sleeve to allow freer movement on startup/break-in, however, the whole engine goes through a break-in to some extent. Not just the piston and sleeve. You want to pre-heat the whole engine as much as possible prior to starting up the engine - especially during break-in period or cold days at the track.

I just finished breaking in my Novarossi PLUS 21-5K via the heat cycle method. I also pre-heat the engine before every start, if the motor is cold or hasn't been started in a while that day. It ultimately reduces wear and tear, same as applying ARO to it and spinning her over a few times at the end of your day does.

Thank You!!! Bet he all so know Ofan is just a importer as well. [X(]
Old 12-20-2007, 01:58 AM
ahawk65
My Feedback: (1)

I just wanted to add in that because you are buying a heat gun, it does not have to be a fancy, all out, expensive automotive heat gun. I use a simple arts and crafts (scrapbooking I think) heat gun I found around the house and it does the trick perfectly for me.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:54 AM
mozzzy_2000

takes a bit longer but a hairdryer does the trick if you are really desparate.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:04 AM
Osirisf16

Yeah, i can't spend money on heat guns and such things. A hairdryer is the best solution
Old 12-20-2007, 07:21 AM
mozzzy_2000

actually a hairdryer is often safer. You gotta be soo very carefull with a heatgun as they're usually used for paint stripping, if your not careful you'll start melting the pastics around the engine if its on a setting far too hot! lol
Old 12-20-2007, 07:44 AM
Osirisf16

Here a good idea, why not we light a fire in the hole where is the glow plug? Economic and sure effective, lol I agree that with the heat gun. You don't want melt parts on your car Actually, i very rarely use heat guns or hairdryers to heat the engine for the break-in. I break-in OS, GX, HPI motors and so far no problem except the one situation i had with my OS V-SPEC. It just couldn't move!!!
Old 12-20-2007, 07:56 AM
mozzzy_2000

Yeah like everything in this hobby EVERYONE has their opinion on the subject and we could all talk & argue about it till the cows come home right? LOL Personally though yeah I only really do it when the weather is cold. Since its winter in the Northern hemisphere its probably not a bad idea but it aint that necessary I think. I've run in quite a few Italian engines which are notorious for being as tight as a nun's bum but if you loosen the plug and add a few drops of ARO down the plug hole, that usually allows the engine to turn over. That and a strong torquey starterbox helps too. Actually some starterboxes are piss weak and not worth the time of day so it helps having a quality starter.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:50 AM
Osirisf16

ORIGINAL: mozzzy_2000

Actually some starterboxes are piss weak and not worth the time of day so it helps having a quality starter.

WELCOME TO THE CLUB. Buy a battery which can used in a car and you are about to get a good time!!!
Old 12-20-2007, 10:48 AM
Reb2973

Yeah my starter box is not the best out there. Thats another reason I got a heat gun. I didnt go get a big fancy one , just a cheap one from ebay. Should be ready to run it in this weekend,received the motor and pipe and just waiting on the heat gun and new motor mounts. I usually follow the manual that comes with the engine to break it in, but the one that came with my Novarossi is not very clear. just says run it for 15 minutes at low rpm. Cant be that simple could it? Guess i will find a good link on the heat cycle method and give that a try.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.