Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

HYPER 8 VERSUS CEN MATRIX RTRS???

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 11:01 PM
hail_frano

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HYPER 8 VERSUS CEN MATRIX RTRS???

Which of this 1/8 buggies do you think is the better RTR: CEN Matrix C-1 or Hobao Hyper 8 and Why???

www.amainhobbies.com sells the cheapest Matrix... oround $350.00.... Does anybody know somewhere I can find a Hyper 8 at a good price???
Old 01-23-2008, 07:06 AM
Osirisf16

Default RE: HYPER 8 VERSUS CEN MATRIX RTRS???

Here a series of buyings by OFNA: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...AdvancedSearch

The Hyper 8 with the MacStar .28 engine is 500 dollars. In my opinion this Hyper rocks. I install a Vspec on mine, i never run it with the MacStar, but my friend has the same with the stock MacStar on and is very good. No problems at all, except that you MUST use thread lock on the screws of the pullstarter to avoid that which happen to my friend
Old 01-23-2008, 11:43 AM
Lethal19

The question to ask is are you looking for a rtr because everyone here will tell you to get the pro kit they have better parts and the equipment that comes with the rtr sucks. I got my hyper 8 off ebay spent 150 for it got a spektrum 3.0 for 189 shipped and a STS motor for 120 shipped so now I have a pro kit a good radio and a good motor for the same price as a rtr and the only thing I need to do now is get better servos and Im set to go.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:30 PM
adam-69

imo matrix is better.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:37 PM
jonnymac

ORIGINAL: adam-69

imo matrix is better.
Good job its only opinion
Cen sucks!.........Oh IMO
Old 01-23-2008, 08:22 PM
Coopz

I've had both buggies (RTR Matrix and a kit Hyper 7 TQ). The Cen is a bit more complete out of the box, comes with better servos and a lot better radio but an inferior engine.
The Hyper 7 needs a bit more $ thrown at it but its STRONG, very rugged and parts are cheap and plentiful, also loads of upgrades and IMO it just handles better than the Cen out of the box. Both buggies engines are not race legal though but the Mach .28 is better than the Cen .26. The Hyper 7's most important upgrades are a better steering servo and a proper radio.

Mine when I had them.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:55 PM
j_blaze

the hyper 8 is very different from the hyper 7, so if the 7 is better than the cen then 8 wins.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:36 PM
dbuggyracer

i have owned both but the pro models and i had more trouble out of the hyper 8 than the cen matrix so i will have to go with the matrix.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:45 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

I have had very LITTLE problems with my Hyper 8 pro kit! In about 20 plus races with well over 9 gallons I have only DNF twice once because of the TX which is not the Hyper’s fault and once because of a bent shock shaft. I just know others that have run the CEN and I will stay with my Hyper 8 and shortly I will have my Hyper 8.5 ready. They now have a Hyper 8.5 RTR, which is a lot better, then the 8 RTR but only problem is they are not available in the states yet.
http://www.hobao-racing.com/products...yper8.5rtr.php
Old 01-23-2008, 10:01 PM
Coopz

I had a Hyper 8 pro for 1.5 years, ran fine, never broke a single thing dispite some collosal stacks.

I broke the Matrix more times than I want to remember...

Another pic

Hyper 8.5 is the best value pro buggy IMO.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:44 PM
cltcrns

http://www.nitrohouse.com/ofna_hyper_8.htm
$410 for the Hyper 8.5 Pro kit or $500 for the Hyper 8 RTR. The 8 RTR is going to come with all the goodies to turn it into the 8.5, you just are buying junk servos and radio with a good engine but not race legal, for the extra $100. I would never run the other mentioned buggy. Good luck
Old 01-24-2008, 01:41 PM
adam-69

ORIGINAL: jonnymac
Good job its only opinion
Cen sucks!.........Oh IMO
Not dissagreeing or trying to start a fight here, but why? i know some people dont like customer service, but i havent had a problem with that, or is it the car you dont like? (i used to hate them damn thing but now i really like it)

p.s. coopz, thats one very nice 8
Old 01-24-2008, 04:19 PM
jonnymac

As Cen go the matrix is not sooo bad. Other models in their range REALLY suck.
I think the CEN is an ok buggy (nothing more), which has the redeeming feature of coming with a decent radio.
The engines are complete crap though, bin it and get a proper engine.
Stories of weak drivetrains seem to have dried up, so I assume they have fixed those issues.
My first nitro was a CEN, which I bought naivley (like we all do in the beggining lol). I never had it running without problems, was always breaking parts and to top it all my LHS (After swearing undying support of these cars) dropped them and spares support within a few weeks of me buying it.
I suppose really I was having a go at CEN, the UK importers (used to be irvine, not sure who it is now) and my bad experiences.
I still wouldn't recommend one though.
Yes they have got better, but I still wouldn't gamble my money on an 'ok' buggy. Been there twice, not going there again
Old 01-24-2008, 11:47 PM
perry g
My Feedback: (2)

Cen is junk,Go with the Ofna 8.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:14 PM
adam-69

yeh i can totaly see where your coming form, and the nx-26 isnt an engine btw, its a paper weight, but once i learnt to drive the cars been solid as a rock, i can deffinately see where all yous are coming from though.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:06 PM
Osirisf16

That with the CEN SUCKS thing, i agree. This brand is for ....... better not tell. I have a few reasons why. First, the job they done on their cars really suck, you don't want to see them. You just want to put the cover to don't see the $h!t there. Secondly, i have experience with the genesis. This is really suck. The guy who bought it, regrets the tinme which order the darn thing.

I don't know about the Matrix very much. The brand IS NOT OK. You can understand a car from the chassis (if it's ok, if it's bad, that works for me all the time). To think, my friend who have the genesis, earlier (before buying the genesis) had an eye on the Matrix. I convinced him with every way i knew and fortunately he bought a Hyper 8 with the .21 engine on. He is very happy with that one. No problems. Of course, telling the truth, the engine is 3 months years old and it starts to loosing it, so he might want a good engine.

SORRY CEN FANS, BUT THIS IS THE TRUE (about my experiences)
Old 01-25-2008, 01:21 PM
adam-69

ok, i guess im wrong . cen doesnt matter to me anyway, out of those two its whatd id pick...and my new 8ight is arriving on tuesday anyway [:-]
Old 01-25-2008, 01:48 PM
perry g

This is my own opinion,If you ever need any replacement parts for your Cen,Don't count on them for help. My brother recently ordered parts from them and recieved the wrong part in the package. The package was labeled for the part he ordered but was totally different then what he ordered. This happened twice at which point he contacted the company. They in turn wanted to charge him to send another part even though it was their error. They then agreed to send the part overnight and its now been a week and he has not received his part. He missed several races because this issue has been going on for over 3 weeks. I find this to be very poor business and would not purchase a product from anyone who can not provide good customer service. He likes to go against the grain and run something that isn't the same as what everybody else has and this is why he went to this company. He now realizes this was not a good choice and he should have stuck with big name companies. Its sad that when you try to give the small buisness a break they totally screw up. The supervisor and the pro racer both dropped the ball after several promises by both to correct the situation. So before I end this....I just hope the problem gets resolved soon and would like to warn others to be prepared for the worst when dealing with these people.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:07 PM
46u

I know X CEN sponsored drives that had problems getting parts. This is one of the many reasons the change brands. [X(]
Old 01-25-2008, 02:19 PM
perry g

Its just a shame 46u that he had to go threw this.They promise that he would get the right part but never did.My brother caught this and told them about it.So you know now its gone to cost them alot of money to get them wrong parts back from all of this hobby shops and send the right ones.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:15 PM
adam-69

jeese, your experiences are badd. im lucky enough to know the cen representative for all of ireland so parts arent an issue, and ive never need to contact cen directly.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:25 PM
perry g

For some reason you guys have it made over there.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:27 PM
adam-69

lol yeh, except the weather makes up for any amount of parts [:@][:'(]
Old 01-25-2008, 06:18 PM
hail_frano

Hey Jackasses... the Question is CEN Matrix RTR versus Hobao Hyper 8 RTR... could it be any easier. Most of you are answering CEN vs OFNA or CEN vs Hobao... its a forum to compare two specific models, NOT TWO COMPANIES...

Its one thing to compare a Chevy versus a Porsche... no contest... but another one to compare a Corvette ZR-1 versus a 911 Turbo.... that is another ballgame and that is the point of the forum... apples versus apples.

I think only people who have tried or owned any of these two SPECIFIC models should give "reality-based" opinions.

Old 01-25-2008, 08:43 PM
46u

Would you buy a Z1 R or a 911 turbo if the support were poor? I think this has a LOT to do with the equation!!!!!![X(]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.