RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

View Poll Results: A poll
GO TECH .21 3-port race engine
16.13%
GO TECH .21 5-port race engine
29.03%
GO TECH .21 7-port race engine
38.71%
None of the above
16.13%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

GO TECH .21 3p - 5p - 7p race engine what would you choose and why or why not.

Reply
Old 04-07-2008, 10:50 PM
  #1
hrdcoreglf
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Posts: 1,106
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default GO TECH .21 3p - 5p - 7p race engine what would you choose and why or why not.

Looking for anybody running any or all of these engines for 3 or more months. List your experiences with any of the 3 engines.
hrdcoreglf is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 12:50 AM
  #2
*FULL-REVS*
 
*FULL-REVS*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: , NEW ZEALAND
Posts: 221
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: GO TECH .21 3p - 5p - 7p race engine what would you choose and why or why not.

i run the 5 port in my truggy and the 7 port in my buggy.... i honestly believe these mills are the best bang for buck you will find... run them with the 2047 pipe and you'll be happy as a pig in ***** dont think you will find anyone that will say anything bad about them dude...
*FULL-REVS* is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 03:52 AM
  #3
dotan987
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: ariel, ISRAEL
Posts: 85
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: GO TECH .21 3p - 5p - 7p race engine what would you choose and why or why not.

i have no expirience with the 3 and 5 port, but i run the 7 port with rb 2045 pipe and all i can say it's the fastest engine on the track, and reliable.
i also want to know how the 3 port compare to the 7.
dotan987 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 03:58 PM
  #4
jonnymac
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: leicester, UNITED KINGDOM
Posts: 2,116
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: GO TECH .21 3p - 5p - 7p race engine what would you choose and why or why not.

I agree. The 7 port is hard to beat for the money
jonnymac is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 04:58 PM
  #5
Vigilante212
 
Vigilante212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Menasha, WI
Posts: 2,655
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: GO TECH .21 3p - 5p - 7p race engine what would you choose and why or why not.

It really depends on the tracks you run on. The 5 port will be great on tight/technical tracks. the 7 port good on high speed tracks with a less technical layout. And the 3 port R will be pretty good on either.
Vigilante212 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 05:29 PM
  #6
911
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: ST-MARTIN, FRANCE
Posts: 445
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: GO TECH .21 3p - 5p - 7p race engine what would you choose and why or why not.


Quote:
ORIGINAL: Vigilante212

It really depends on the tracks you run on. The 5 port will be great on tight/technical tracks. the 7 port good on high speed tracks with a less technical layout. And the 3 port R will be pretty good on either.
That kinda makes no sense...
In theory,
3 port = more low end power=good for tight technical tracks
5 port = compromise
7 port = more top end power= good for long high speed tracks
911 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 09:06 PM
  #7
Vigilante212
 
Vigilante212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Menasha, WI
Posts: 2,655
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: GO TECH .21 3p - 5p - 7p race engine what would you choose and why or why not.

the 3 port R spec has a more linear power band then the 5 port. It has around the same bottom end as the 5 but a little more top end and its easier to drive.
Vigilante212 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 09:08 PM
  #8
SManMTB
 
SManMTB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Posts: 5,253
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: GO TECH .21 3p - 5p - 7p race engine what would you choose and why or why not.


Quote:
ORIGINAL: 911


Quote:
ORIGINAL: Vigilante212

It really depends on the tracks you run on. The 5 port will be great on tight/technical tracks. the 7 port good on high speed tracks with a less technical layout. And the 3 port R will be pretty good on either.
That kinda makes no sense...
In theory,
3 port = more low end power=good for tight technical tracks
5 port = compromise
7 port = more top end power= good for long high speed tracks
That theory is wrong, in general.
SManMTB is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 04:00 AM
  #9
dotan987
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: ariel, ISRAEL
Posts: 85
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: GO TECH .21 3p - 5p - 7p race engine what would you choose and why or why not.

the 3 port seems to be unavailble everywhere. where can i get one?
dotan987 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 11:07 AM
  #10
911
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: ST-MARTIN, FRANCE
Posts: 445
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: GO TECH .21 3p - 5p - 7p race engine what would you choose and why or why not.


Quote:
ORIGINAL: SManMTB


Quote:
ORIGINAL: 911


Quote:
ORIGINAL: Vigilante212

It really depends on the tracks you run on. The 5 port will be great on tight/technical tracks. the 7 port good on high speed tracks with a less technical layout. And the 3 port R will be pretty good on either.
That kinda makes no sense...
In theory,
3 port = more low end power=good for tight technical tracks
5 port = compromise
7 port = more top end power= good for long high speed tracks
That theory is wrong, in general.
Please explain
I'll just give you the example of the nova Plus 21-5 vs Plus 21-7 same engine different sleeve if you ever had both of them side by side you would see the difference...
Go may have developed their 3 port in a very different direction in relation to the 5 and 7 But in "Theory" apples to apples,
[/quote]
3 port = more low end power=good for tight technical tracks
5 port = compromise
7 port = more top end power= good for long high speed tracks
[/quote]
911 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 12:05 PM
  #11
SManMTB
 
SManMTB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Posts: 5,253
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: GO TECH .21 3p - 5p - 7p race engine what would you choose and why or why not.

I was just saying that the number of ports have nothing to do with power when it comes to designing an engine. 7 ports does not automatically produce more power than 3.

Now in this specific case (Go engines) it might vvery well be that they designed the engines in a way the 3 port would make less power than a 7 port.
SManMTB is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 12:57 PM
  #12
slayerphonics
 
slayerphonics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Daytona Beach, FL
Posts: 2,384
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: GO TECH .21 3p - 5p - 7p race engine what would you choose and why or why not.


Quote:
ORIGINAL: SManMTB

I was just saying that the number of ports have nothing to do with power when it comes to designing an engine. 7 ports does not automatically produce more power than 3.

Now in this specific case (Go engines) it might vvery well be that they designed the engines in a way the 3 port would make less power than a 7 port.
I thought the number of ports help to dictate how the power band worked,
Like the 3 port created its highest torque/hp at a lower RPM

and a 7 torque/hp curve was more towards the higher rpm range

And that higher ported engines use more gas.

Any of this true?
slayerphonics is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 01:00 PM
  #13
SManMTB
 
SManMTB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Posts: 5,253
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: GO TECH .21 3p - 5p - 7p race engine what would you choose and why or why not.


Quote:
ORIGINAL: slayerphonics


Quote:
ORIGINAL: SManMTB

I was just saying that the number of ports have nothing to do with power when it comes to designing an engine. 7 ports does not automatically produce more power than 3.

Now in this specific case (Go engines) it might vvery well be that they designed the engines in a way the 3 port would make less power than a 7 port.
I thought the number of ports help to dictate how the power band worked,
Like the 3 port created its highest torque/hp at a lower RPM

and a 7 torque/hp curve was more towards the higher rpm range

And that higher ported engines use more gas.

Any of this true?
Not true at all. Everyting depends on the port timing and size, not the number of ports.
SManMTB is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 01:35 PM
  #14
slayerphonics
 
slayerphonics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Daytona Beach, FL
Posts: 2,384
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: GO TECH .21 3p - 5p - 7p race engine what would you choose and why or why not.


Quote:
ORIGINAL: SManMTB


Quote:
ORIGINAL: slayerphonics


Quote:
ORIGINAL: SManMTB

I was just saying that the number of ports have nothing to do with power when it comes to designing an engine. 7 ports does not automatically produce more power than 3.

Now in this specific case (Go engines) it might vvery well be that they designed the engines in a way the 3 port would make less power than a 7 port.
I thought the number of ports help to dictate how the power band worked,
Like the 3 port created its highest torque/hp at a lower RPM

and a 7 torque/hp curve was more towards the higher rpm range

And that higher ported engines use more gas.

Any of this true?
Not true at all. Everyting depends on the port timing and size, not the number of ports.
So what do the number of ports affect?
slayerphonics is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 02:17 PM
  #15
SManMTB
 
SManMTB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Posts: 5,253
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: GO TECH .21 3p - 5p - 7p race engine what would you choose and why or why not.


Quote:
ORIGINAL: slayerphonics


Quote:
ORIGINAL: SManMTB


Quote:
ORIGINAL: slayerphonics


Quote:
ORIGINAL: SManMTB

I was just saying that the number of ports have nothing to do with power when it comes to designing an engine. 7 ports does not automatically produce more power than 3.

Now in this specific case (Go engines) it might vvery well be that they designed the engines in a way the 3 port would make less power than a 7 port.
I thought the number of ports help to dictate how the power band worked,
Like the 3 port created its highest torque/hp at a lower RPM

and a 7 torque/hp curve was more towards the higher rpm range

And that higher ported engines use more gas.

Any of this true?
Not true at all. Everyting depends on the port timing and size, not the number of ports.
So what do the number of ports affect?
It's a way to control how the fresh fuel mixture flows in the cylinder. It's also a good idea to break up a very wide port in two or more parts to give the piston support. If the port is too wide the piston can actually tilt and catch the edge of a port.

SManMTB is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 02:37 PM
  #16
slayerphonics
 
slayerphonics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Daytona Beach, FL
Posts: 2,384
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: GO TECH .21 3p - 5p - 7p race engine what would you choose and why or why not.


Quote:
ORIGINAL: SManMTB


Quote:
ORIGINAL: slayerphonics


Quote:
ORIGINAL: SManMTB


Quote:
ORIGINAL: slayerphonics


Quote:
ORIGINAL: SManMTB

I was just saying that the number of ports have nothing to do with power when it comes to designing an engine. 7 ports does not automatically produce more power than 3.

Now in this specific case (Go engines) it might vvery well be that they designed the engines in a way the 3 port would make less power than a 7 port.
I thought the number of ports help to dictate how the power band worked,
Like the 3 port created its highest torque/hp at a lower RPM

and a 7 torque/hp curve was more towards the higher rpm range

And that higher ported engines use more gas.

Any of this true?
Not true at all. Everyting depends on the port timing and size, not the number of ports.
So what do the number of ports affect?
It's a way to control how the fresh fuel mixture flows in the cylinder. It's also a good idea to break up a very wide port in two or more parts to give the piston support. If the port is too wide the piston can actually tilt and catch the edge of a port.

So.. the higher ports produces a better fuel mixture?

I have noticed higher ports seem to rev a little higher
slayerphonics is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 02:54 PM
  #17
SManMTB
 
SManMTB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Posts: 5,253
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: GO TECH .21 3p - 5p - 7p race engine what would you choose and why or why not.


Quote:
ORIGINAL: slayerphonics


Quote:
ORIGINAL: SManMTB


Quote:
ORIGINAL: slayerphonics


Quote:
ORIGINAL: SManMTB


Quote:
ORIGINAL: slayerphonics


Quote:
ORIGINAL: SManMTB

I was just saying that the number of ports have nothing to do with power when it comes to designing an engine. 7 ports does not automatically produce more power than 3.

Now in this specific case (Go engines) it might vvery well be that they designed the engines in a way the 3 port would make less power than a 7 port.
I thought the number of ports help to dictate how the power band worked,
Like the 3 port created its highest torque/hp at a lower RPM

and a 7 torque/hp curve was more towards the higher rpm range

And that higher ported engines use more gas.

Any of this true?
Not true at all. Everyting depends on the port timing and size, not the number of ports.
So what do the number of ports affect?
It's a way to control how the fresh fuel mixture flows in the cylinder. It's also a good idea to break up a very wide port in two or more parts to give the piston support. If the port is too wide the piston can actually tilt and catch the edge of a port.

So.. the higher ports produces a better fuel mixture?

I have noticed higher ports seem to rev a little higher
No, but the designer will have more control of where and how it enters the cylinder.
SManMTB is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 03:12 PM
  #18
slayerphonics
 
slayerphonics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Daytona Beach, FL
Posts: 2,384
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: GO TECH .21 3p - 5p - 7p race engine what would you choose and why or why not.

So how do you decide what to buy 5 or 7 port?
slayerphonics is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 03:25 PM
  #19
SManMTB
 
SManMTB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Posts: 5,253
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: GO TECH .21 3p - 5p - 7p race engine what would you choose and why or why not.

How I decide!?

I don't know. If the manuf says one engine has more bottom end and that's what I need then I buy that.
SManMTB is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 03:53 PM
  #20
Vigilante212
 
Vigilante212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Menasha, WI
Posts: 2,655
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: GO TECH .21 3p - 5p - 7p race engine what would you choose and why or why not.

The Go tech 3 port R Spec is a new design. It is comparable to a V-spec With a smooth powerband and not as much high speed as the 7 port. Now the 3 port R shouldnt be confused with the Go tech 3 port sport which follows the general rule of thumb Less ports = more bottom end.

Email this guy he can set you up with the 3 port R spec

russell@racefactorindustries.com
Vigilante212 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 06:41 PM
  #21
gbasile77
 
gbasile77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Melbourne, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 449
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: GO TECH .21 3p - 5p - 7p race engine what would you choose and why or why not.

The number of ports and their placement is also used by engine designers to utilise the 'loop scavenge' effect in 2-stroke motors.
gbasile77 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:39 PM.