Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC 1/8th Scale Buggies
Reload this Page >

GO TECH .21 3p - 5p - 7p race engine what would you choose and why or why not.

Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!
View Poll Results: A poll
GO TECH .21 3-port race engine
16.13%
GO TECH .21 5-port race engine
29.03%
GO TECH .21 7-port race engine
38.71%
None of the above
16.13%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

GO TECH .21 3p - 5p - 7p race engine what would you choose and why or why not.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 10:50 PM
hrdcoreglf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GO TECH .21 3p - 5p - 7p race engine what would you choose and why or why not.

Looking for anybody running any or all of these engines for 3 or more months. List your experiences with any of the 3 engines.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:50 AM
*FULL-REVS*

Default RE: GO TECH .21 3p - 5p - 7p race engine what would you choose and why or why not.

i run the 5 port in my truggy and the 7 port in my buggy.... i honestly believe these mills are the best bang for buck you will find... run them with the 2047 pipe and you'll be happy as a pig in ***** dont think you will find anyone that will say anything bad about them dude...
Old 04-08-2008, 03:52 AM
dotan987

Default RE: GO TECH .21 3p - 5p - 7p race engine what would you choose and why or why not.

i have no expirience with the 3 and 5 port, but i run the 7 port with rb 2045 pipe and all i can say it's the fastest engine on the track, and reliable.
i also want to know how the 3 port compare to the 7.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:58 PM
jonnymac

I agree. The 7 port is hard to beat for the money
Old 04-08-2008, 04:58 PM
Vigilante212

It really depends on the tracks you run on. The 5 port will be great on tight/technical tracks. the 7 port good on high speed tracks with a less technical layout. And the 3 port R will be pretty good on either.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:29 PM

ORIGINAL: Vigilante212

It really depends on the tracks you run on. The 5 port will be great on tight/technical tracks. the 7 port good on high speed tracks with a less technical layout. And the 3 port R will be pretty good on either.
That kinda makes no sense...
In theory,
3 port = more low end power=good for tight technical tracks
5 port = compromise
7 port = more top end power= good for long high speed tracks
Old 04-08-2008, 09:06 PM
Vigilante212

the 3 port R spec has a more linear power band then the 5 port. It has around the same bottom end as the 5 but a little more top end and its easier to drive.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:08 PM
SManMTB

ORIGINAL: 911

In theory,
5 port = compromise
That theory is wrong, in general.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:00 AM
dotan987

the 3 port seems to be unavailble everywhere. where can i get one?
Old 04-09-2008, 11:07 AM

ORIGINAL: SManMTB

ORIGINAL: 911

In theory,
5 port = compromise
That theory is wrong, in general.
Please explain
I'll just give you the example of the nova Plus 21-5 vs Plus 21-7 same engine different sleeve if you ever had both of them side by side you would see the difference...
Go may have developed their 3 port in a very different direction in relation to the 5 and 7 But in "Theory" apples to apples,
[/quote]
5 port = compromise
[/quote]
Old 04-09-2008, 12:05 PM
SManMTB

I was just saying that the number of ports have nothing to do with power when it comes to designing an engine. 7 ports does not automatically produce more power than 3.

Now in this specific case (Go engines) it might vvery well be that they designed the engines in a way the 3 port would make less power than a 7 port.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:57 PM
slayerphonics

I was just saying that the number of ports have nothing to do with power when it comes to designing an engine. 7 ports does not automatically produce more power than 3.

Now in this specific case (Go engines) it might vvery well be that they designed the engines in a way the 3 port would make less power than a 7 port.
I thought the number of ports help to dictate how the power band worked,
Like the 3 port created its highest torque/hp at a lower RPM

and a 7 torque/hp curve was more towards the higher rpm range

And that higher ported engines use more gas.

Any of this true?
Old 04-09-2008, 01:00 PM
SManMTB

ORIGINAL: slayerphonics

Any of this true?
Not true at all. Everyting depends on the port timing and size, not the number of ports.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:35 PM
slayerphonics

Any of this true?
Not true at all. Everyting depends on the port timing and size, not the number of ports.
So what do the number of ports affect?
Old 04-09-2008, 02:17 PM
SManMTB

Any of this true?
It's a way to control how the fresh fuel mixture flows in the cylinder. It's also a good idea to break up a very wide port in two or more parts to give the piston support. If the port is too wide the piston can actually tilt and catch the edge of a port.

Old 04-09-2008, 02:37 PM
slayerphonics

Any of this true?
It's a way to control how the fresh fuel mixture flows in the cylinder. It's also a good idea to break up a very wide port in two or more parts to give the piston support. If the port is too wide the piston can actually tilt and catch the edge of a port.

So.. the higher ports produces a better fuel mixture?

I have noticed higher ports seem to rev a little higher
Old 04-09-2008, 02:54 PM
SManMTB

Any of this true?

So.. the higher ports produces a better fuel mixture?

I have noticed higher ports seem to rev a little higher
No, but the designer will have more control of where and how it enters the cylinder.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:12 PM
slayerphonics

So how do you decide what to buy 5 or 7 port?
Old 04-09-2008, 03:25 PM
SManMTB

How I decide!?

I don't know. If the manuf says one engine has more bottom end and that's what I need then I buy that.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:53 PM
Vigilante212

The Go tech 3 port R Spec is a new design. It is comparable to a V-spec With a smooth powerband and not as much high speed as the 7 port. Now the 3 port R shouldnt be confused with the Go tech 3 port sport which follows the general rule of thumb Less ports = more bottom end.

Email this guy he can set you up with the 3 port R spec

[email protected]
Old 04-09-2008, 06:41 PM
gbasile77

The number of ports and their placement is also used by engine designers to utilise the 'loop scavenge' effect in 2-stroke motors.