Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

brake cleaner

i usually clean my buggy off with brake cleaner. i just bought i new polished pipe, will the brake cleaner damage the pipe? by damage i mean blemish it
    Losi 8ight,Precirotate 3 Port Modified Engine,Avid Bearings,Dynamite,Sprektrum Radio,Ace Servos,Fastlane Graphix,Stickman RC

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: brake cleaner

I can't see any reason why it would. Try either spraying or dabbing a bit of the product you are using on an unnoticeable part of your pipe (on the underside of the belly, under the stinger, on the bottom of the manifold, etc.), let it dry, and take a look. Good luck, and congratulations on your new pipe! Post some pictures if you have any. =)
    Hyper 7 PBS, RC18T, RC10GT (x2), T-Maxx 3.3, LST 2, Baja 5b

The best vitamin for making friends: B1

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

So brake cleaner will not damage plastic parts? or stain the ionized aluminum part? Will carburator cleaner work the same?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i think its better to use non chlorinated brake cleaner b/c it doesnt leave behind any kinda residue

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Themorales1999

So brake cleaner will not damage plastic parts? or stain the ionized aluminum part? Will carburator cleaner work the same?
    I wouldn't use brake cleaner or carb cleaner,

carb leaves a perma stink on your truck, and leave a residue

brake cleaner leaves a perma stink on your truck and can damage plastics and electronics, if its chlorinated it will for sure damage your truck.

And it can cause harm to your skin

I would never use brake or crab cleaner on my truck.

The best cleaner is "Simple Green", its bio-degradable, it doesn't stink, it doesn't damage plastics.
    There\'s a right way and wrong way to do everything and the wrong way is trying to make everybody else do it the right way

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I've seen many who use Simple Green, do you wash it off with water or with an air compressor?

I use the water hose to take the big stuff off my buggy and then detail it with a humid rag. Recently I had a servo start acting crazy, I opened it up and found a little humidity. I let it dry and re installed it and now it work perfect. So I don’t know if the problem was the water hose.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Themorales1999

I've seen many how use Simple Green, do you wash it off with water or with an air compressor?

I use the water hose to take the big stuff off my buggy and then detail it with a humid rag. Recently I had a servo start acting crazy, I opened it up and found a little humidity. I let it dry and re installed it and now it work perfect. So I don’t know if the problem was the water hose.
    5 screws removes my radio tray, 4 screws to remove my motor,

then i just spray my truck down let it set for a min or so, hit with some water and air compressor it off right away,
    only thing u need to watch out for is your bearings.
    There\'s a right way and wrong way to do everything and the wrong way is trying to make everybody else do it the right way

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

why on Earth would you need something so harsh??

simple green and an air compressor
    MBX5R
    Novarossi powered

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

is simple green and mean green the same thing? i have mean green but i dont have an air compressor
    Losi 8ight,Precirotate 3 Port Modified Engine,Avid Bearings,Dynamite,Sprektrum Radio,Ace Servos,Fastlane Graphix,Stickman RC

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I know Cyclo non chlorinated brake clean is the exact same thing as the expensive nitro cleaner at a cheaper price, and non chlorinated brake clean will not harm electronics or ABS plastic based parts.
    ((((((((MARSHALL!!!!)))))))

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Autozone brake cleaner is the best substitute I have found for nitro wash. Simple Green has it's place, but for cleaning greasy parts, glow plugs, etc. quickly you need a degreaser that dries quick. I buy a lot of it for basic degreasing and surface prep around my shop.

Please note - I have tried other types and brands of brake cleaners and some WILL eat plastic. I know the Autozone doesn't so I stick with it.
    Losi 8B
    Traxxas Pede

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Instad of brake or carb cleanerer, I use some stuff called "Gun Scrubber"
    I actually use this for my firearms, but it works great on RC stuff. Leaves no residue, or scent.
    There is two versions of it though, so be carefull. If you want to try it, make damn sure you get the "SYNTHETIC SAFE" version. It is made for using an plastic parts, and will not damage them. If you use the original, it will melt any plastic you use it on.
    This stuff will get anything off, even hard, caked on, dried carbon residue that was been building up for 30 years. Best stuff I have found.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: MorganSS

why on Earth would you need something so harsh??

simple green and an air compressor

Bingo! spray it down with simple green. Let it sit a couple minutes then use an air compressor to dry it off. They always come out spotless if you do this process every time you run your RC.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: rccheech

I know Cyclo non chlorinated brake clean is the exact same thing as the expensive nitro cleaner at a cheaper price, and non chlorinated brake clean will not harm electronics or ABS plastic based parts.
    Brake cleaner will damage plastics,

There is no reason to use such a harsh cleaner,

If you have that much grease build up on your truck, something is wrong with your engine.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I use crc brakleen on the engine, same stuff as nitro spray was just cheaper. I simple green every thing eles (remove radio box and servos in servo bracket) the hit it with a garden hose, 40 psi air the a bit of wd 40.
    Stay away from oven cleaner, grease lightning and carb cleaner. They are evil, some remove anadize off aluminum and others eat plastic.
    If you pick brake cleaner, look for the words, non-chlorinated, its safe on plastic like carb boot.
    AGAMA Racing
    Horsepower sells engines, Torque wins races

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If you pick brake cleaner, look for the words, non-chlorinated, its safe on plastic like carb boot.
    Thank you!
    ((((((((MARSHALL!!!!)))))))

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Very few brake clean sprays will harm plastic.

If they contain Acetone, MEK, or methylene chloride, they will eat/melt/destroy plastic of any kind, even Delrin.

Simple green and Mean Green will do the same thing, but Mean Green is about $3/gal at the Dollar store and a gallon will last all summer if you mix it 4:1 with water.

I use Mean Green, as described above (remove radio tray and engine), with ZERO issues and I like my stuff SPOTLESS.

EDIT<<<<>>>>

I use brake clean spray from O'Reilly Auto Parts.
    I buy it by the case and use it to clean engine/clutch parts.

Here is another tip for you guys.
    I'm a cheap skate, so I do it this way.

When rebuilding diffs, clean the parts in Naptha.
    It dissolves the silicone oils and dries very quickly.
    Leaves your parts sparkling clean in just a few minutes and it's cheap.

When washing air filters, use mineral spirits.
    It dissolves the filter oil and doesn't break down the foam.
    Let it dry for a few minutes and re-oil.
    No water necessary.

Both of these chemicals can be bought at Lowes/Home Depot for about $8/gallon.

Scott
    TEAM TERRIBLES
    Answer R/C, Torco Fuel, Fastlane Graphix
    Madman at the wheel!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If you have a compressor try spraying it down with WD40 and blow it off................if you do that all the time ,nothing sticks to it and it looks like new all the time
    Custom Cars bring out the stars / Home of the RCLYNX, RC IMPROVEMENT, MOD, SALES & SERVICE Dealer;XTM, CEN, HPI & much more