Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC 1/8th Scale Buggies
Reload this Page >

inside pic's of my modded rb engine

Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

inside pic's of my modded rb engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 05:26 PM
mfroot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: inside pic's of my modded rb engine

ORIGINAL: Reiko

Jeez, it's not that big a deal for some to get all in a huff over. I agree with vladconnery about discoveries and disasters being the beginning of some great developments. Perhaps these little engines have been around so long as to have every conceivable modification done, but then perhaps not. There is nothing wrong with giving it a shot, and it takes a decent individual to post an experiment into this community and ask for opinions.

To address the crank mod - if I remember correctly from high school (oy... long time ), knife-edging the crank counterweights was an effort to decrease the rotating mass and offset the weight of aluminum rods, and also smooth the friction of the crankshaft's interaction with the engine oil. I might be nuts, but it seems to me that lightening the crank can yield at least a bit of improvement on any IC engine (even though no crankcase oil volume). Feel free to correct me otherwise. It's been a while!

mfroot, nice work, and thanks for sharing.

Thank you so much for the nice comments, I knew I would be up against a tough crowd when I started this thread. I knew I would see some good and some bad comments. There are several reasons I started this thread, one was there is really no way to find out what and how the pro's are doing it because it is their lively hood, I do not expect them to give their secrets. I posted the pic's of mine so if someone was thinking about modding their's, not saying mine is proffesional quality, but what I did does work. (and if a pro wanted to tell me a secret, yes, I would take it) That being said the reason I knife edged the front of the rotating mass of the crank was to lighten it as well as cut down on resistance as sharp edge cuts air better than a square one. The reason I knife edged the trailing edge of the crank was to lessen the turbulance. I hope this thread might help someone thinking of modding their engines. Just keep in mind, do not modify an engine that you can not afford to replace, because it would not be very hard to screw one up. Thanks agian, Froot
Old 07-03-2008, 06:09 PM
adam-69

haven't had a chance to read the whole thread but here's my comments.
-i don't know enough about modding to critisize or praise your porting or timing
-i do know that it looks very well done (from a machining point of view) and hey, if it runs well clearly it was a sucess!

good job [8D][sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 07-03-2008, 09:11 PM
mentorman
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: adam-69

-i don't know enough about modding to critisize or praise your porting or timing
-i do know that it looks very well done (from a machining point of view) and hey, if it runs well clearly it was a sucess!

Now theres a person with a very good head on their shoulders... With that said, I beleive the article from R/C car Action, "How to hot rod your nitro motor" got alot of people asking questions, including me when I saw the article here on this site. I personally respect the magazines opinions and or articles for the most part, and their article about the porting didnt dissapoint. It was nothing radical, but basic cleaning up the sleeve ports with some grinding and polishing. It just makes the motor run better IMO. Anytime we do a modification on anything, we are risking making things worse, but for me and others I read about, the risk was worth it. Cheers.
Old 07-05-2008, 06:27 PM
mfroot

ORIGINAL: mentorman

ORIGINAL: adam-69

Now theres a person with a very good head on their shoulders... With that said, I beleive the article from R/C car Action, "How to hot rod your nitro motor" got alot of people asking questions, including me when I saw the article here on this site. I personally respect the magazines opinions and or articles for the most part, and their article about the porting didnt dissapoint. It was nothing radical, but basic cleaning up the sleeve ports with some grinding and polishing. It just makes the motor run better IMO. Anytime we do a modification on anything, we are risking making things worse, but for me and others I read about, the risk was worth it. Cheers.
Yes for me it was worth it this eco engine now runs like a big dog.