Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Getting into 1/8 scale nitro

Old 07-08-2008, 12:02 PM
rpg711

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting into 1/8 scale nitro

I'm going to be buying a 1/8 nitro RC in the next week(or 2)
Would just like some input on what would be nice, I have about 390$(for the car only) and I'm leaning towards the Ofna Hyper 7 RTR(all the kits cost waaay over my budget, engine is 150$, kit is 300$, 450, plus I need the radio gear)
Are there any better RTR platforms that I can upgrade along the road to be a decent racer?
I like the Hyper 7 because it costs pretty low.. I can get it down for 270$.
If I HAVE to, I'll buy a kit, but only if it is 240$ or under at tower, or 210$ or under anywhere else.
I really see no difference in the kit includes and the RTR includes.
I had one REALLY bad experience with ofna though(I said I was getting started, but I've had one of the crappy Ofna Ultra Lx Comp pieces of mega crap that had such a tight engine that it wouldnt start)
Some input?
Anything I need to know before getting started?
Old 07-08-2008, 12:16 PM
vnmsgt

Default RE: Getting into 1/8 scale nitro

You can get a [link=http://www.holeshothobbies.com/servlet/the-6/Caster-Racing-ZX1-dsh-R-RTR/Detail]Caster Racing ZX1-R[/link] for $400. They are great RTR's out of the box and can be raced easily with them coming with CNC Machined aluminum shock towers and radio plate. The Hyper 7 has all pressed aluminum which bends alot easier. Also the Pivot ball front suspension is very durable and does not break as much as the C-hubs in my opinion. The Caster also has alot more suspension adjustments for the hinge pins settings and other settings too.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:18 PM
DS

the ofna would be great, the new black race edition looks mean, so does the italian picco buggy.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:33 PM
rpg711

ORIGINAL: vnmsgt

You can get a [link=http://www.holeshothobbies.com/servlet/the-6/Caster-Racing-ZX1-dsh-R-RTR/Detail]Caster Racing ZX1-R[/link] for $400. They are great RTR's out of the box and can be raced easily with them coming with CNC Machined aluminum shock towers and radio plate. The Hyper 7 has all pressed aluminum which bends alot easier. Also the Pivot ball front suspension is very durable and does not break as much as the C-hubs in my opinion. The Caster also has alot more suspension adjustments for the hinge pins settings and other settings too.
It looks great, how does it do on the track?Does it dampen enough to get over the doubles part of tracks?
I want one that will last like 2 years(the mechanical parts, not the a-arms or things like that) without breaking, since I'll probably own one for 1-2 years before selling it off and buying a competition-level kit. I just don't want to trash something really expensive when i'm just starting
Surely they handle much differently than micro rcs, so it is a huge transition for me.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:21 PM
youwish16

with the price range you are looking, there isnt gonna be a good selesction of quality buggies. you can get a thunder tiger eb4, cen matrix, any of the ofna's and the gs storm buggy.

if you are willing to get a truggy, look at this....its a great deal!
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/17279
Old 07-08-2008, 01:22 PM
vnmsgt

ORIGINAL: rpg711

It looks great, how does it do on the track?Does it dampen enough to get over the doubles part of tracks?
I want one that will last like 2 years(the mechanical parts, not the a-arms or things like that) without breaking, since I'll probably own one for 1-2 years before selling it off and buying a competition-level kit. I just don't want to trash something really expensive when i'm just starting
Surely they handle much differently than micro rcs, so it is a huge transition for me.
It handles awesome on the track. I am a driver for Caster and I race this buggy every weekend and run sometimes twice a weak and it holds up great. The thing is fast on the track. If you just add the center and rear CVD driveshafts you practically have the kit version except for the difference in aluminum which the RTR comes with 6061 and the KIT 7075 aluminum. Did I mention the RTR shock towers are 4mm thick!! Hardly any RTR comes like that. It will last along time and made extremely well. Check out the Caster support forums at [link=http://www.holeshothobbies.com/servlet/the-6/Caster-Racing-ZX1-dsh-R-RTR/Detail]caster racing support[/link] Tons of info there.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:36 PM
rpg711

I just want a good platform, and by that, I mean that it is well ballanced so it "flys" pretty well over the jumps and such.
I will be reeling about 375$ more in like 3 weeks, so if I can get a good platform to upgrade now, I can upgrade it to race-spec level in a few weeks.
What's the best PLATFORM? I'm not looking for out-of-the box performance, but a nice layout that is even and ballanced(so I don't have to sell it, but just need to upgrade)
Either that, or I'd like one that would sell nicely(mabee like 60-70% of what I bought it for), since I may just buy one, play around with it and race a bit on the track for a year, sell it, and buy a really good kit.
I'm thinking Associated FT RC8B or Losi 8ight kit

I'll just wait for a few more suggestions to roll in before I make my purchase.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:13 PM
jonnymac

The hyper 7 is a solid bet, also see if you can get a hyper 8 or 8.5 rtr. At least you can upgrade them all to a pro spec buggy.
You could look at the jammin too
Old 07-08-2008, 04:01 PM
rpg711

I don't believe there is a hyper 8.5 rtr, it's a kit.
I'd prefer to buy from towerhobbies since they give the 30$ savings right now, unless you know some place that sells it for cheap
I will keep the hyper 7 for like 1-2 years then sell it for mabee 50% value. I'll buy a real cool kit then
Old 07-08-2008, 04:23 PM
Skillhouette

If you goto amainhobbies.com You can get the Ofna Hyper 8 with a free COMPLETE 8.5 conversion kit http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/8921.. Also with this coupon code DPPAN825 You can get an additional $25 off... Good luck
Old 07-08-2008, 04:44 PM
rpg711

ORIGINAL: Skillhouette

If you goto amainhobbies.com You can get the Ofna Hyper 8 with a free COMPLETE 8.5 conversion kit http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/8921.. Also with this coupon code DPPAN825 You can get an additional $25 off... Good luck
damn, that's cheap... Tower sells the hyper 8 for 500$ without the conversion kit.
I've got to figure out how to amass the money now...
Old 07-08-2008, 04:53 PM
vnmsgt

ORIGINAL: Skillhouette

Out of all the RTR's in this price range the 8.5 is the only one I would consider next to the caster. That is a good almost race ready RTR too.
Old 07-08-2008, 05:12 PM
JoeGibbs

This is the perfect setup for a beginner - Hyper 7 with OS RG and many extra parts and tires. Great starter engine with a new piston and sleeve, upgraded servos, receiver pack, tires, spare arms, 3 bodies...

Concerning the Hyper 7's weak towers, this buggy has CNC towers (much more durable than the flat stock towers)...and has an all graphite radio tray. You'd end up spending a lot of money upgrading any RTR to this spec.

[link=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=300239713087#ebayphotohosting]Hyper 7 Pro on EBay[/link]

With this setup, all you would need is a starter box, which is a little more costly than a pull start...but the only way to go long term.

Old 07-08-2008, 05:53 PM
Skillhouette

ORIGINAL: JoeGibbs

This is the perfect setup for a beginner - Hyper 7 with OS RG and many extra parts and tires. Great starter engine with a new piston and sleeve, upgraded servos, receiver pack, tires, spare arms, 3 bodies...

Concerning the Hyper 7's weak towers, this buggy has CNC towers (much more durable than the flat stock towers)...and has an all graphite radio tray. You'd end up spending a lot of money upgrading any RTR to this spec.

[link=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=300239713087#ebayphotohosting]Hyper 7 Pro on EBay[/link]

With this setup, all you would need is a starter box, which is a little more costly than a pull start...but the only way to go long term.

If he can get a little extra cash he should buy the Hyper 8.5 ... NOT YOUR BUGGY....
Old 07-08-2008, 06:26 PM
JoeGibbs

Or a little more cash and he could buy both BUGGIES! [:-]
Old 07-08-2008, 06:38 PM
SManMTB

I know JoeGibbs and his stuff is top notch if you're interested in buying it.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:53 PM
vnmsgt

Yes THAT hyper 7 does but NOT a stock one. The Caster ZX1-R comes STANDARD with CNC 4mm shock towers and CNC radio tray and top plate too. No need for upgrades on that RTR.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:17 PM
JoeGibbs

Where do you get spare parts for a Caster buggy?
Old 07-08-2008, 07:25 PM
vnmsgt

Where do you get spare parts for a Caster buggy?
[link]http://casterracingusa.com[/link] 2-3 day delivery any part I need in stock everytime straight from the distributor. Also [link]http://holeshothobbies.com[/link]
Old 07-08-2008, 11:08 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ofna makes a good r/c. they also cost much less and parts are widely availible.

get one of those.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:00 AM
jonnymac

ORIGINAL: rpg711

I don't believe there is a hyper 8.5 rtr, it's a kit.
I'd prefer to buy from towerhobbies since they give the 30$ savings right now, unless you know some place that sells it for cheap
I will keep the hyper 7 for like 1-2 years then sell it for mabee 50% value. I'll buy a real cool kit then
[link=http://www.apexmodels.com/product-search.php?call=moreinfo&man=2&cat=kits&id=520]hyper 8.5 rtr[/link]
There you go
Old 07-09-2008, 04:53 AM
TTR_EB4

see the 8.5 rtr would be a really good option, but the hyper 7 is like a tank, very strong (thats why its a tad heavy), very balenced, i love mine, and i will be keeping it for another 2 years or so, and im still keeping up with the top drivers with it

just my 2c

Just a warning lol These cars are very addictive, i started 4 months ago, now i have 5 cars
Old 07-09-2008, 08:15 AM
rpg711

ORIGINAL: SManMTB

I know JoeGibbs and his stuff is top notch if you're interested in buying it.
I have bad enough experiences buying this type of thing from online personal sellers.
The last ****ty ofna I got was a LX GT PRO that couldn't even start because the freaking rotostart backplate was slipping.
I ended up replacing the backplate, clutch, clutch bell, and all the drive tran parts because they were so worn out.
And what do I realize when I try to start it? THE ENGINE DOESNT F'N START ANYWAYS.
broken... so I was just like... forget about this... selling the dumb thing on ebay.
(Gets 300$ from parting it out and selling on ebay)
^^only good part... spent 100$, get 300