Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC 1/8th Scale Buggies
Reload this Page >

How do you transfer your fuel to the track?

Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

How do you transfer your fuel to the track?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 04:30 AM
vti-chris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you transfer your fuel to the track?

Do you use any special bag, tank, hauler to carry it or just through it in the car?
Old 07-17-2008, 05:30 AM
joydude630

Default RE: How do you transfer your fuel to the track?

I just use a normal bag..
Old 07-17-2008, 05:57 AM
tommygun32

Being in Cyprus the heat may be an issue as it is in Dubai. Mid to high 40's (c) (about 118+f) the past week with 95+% humidity. What I'm thinking of doing is getting ahold of a couple of quart sized heavy duty plastic bottles. Then when i get the big gallon bottle, divide it up amongst the smaller bottles and store them properly. If heading to the track, grab whatever i think i'll need and take that. That way if ANY condensation occurs while it's sat in my car, I know the rest of the supply is OK. Then transporting it, I have a couple of boxes in the back of my jeep that everything goes into. Just keeps it from rolling around or tipping over.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:06 AM
Cypriot Boy

well i just through it in the car!!
Old 07-17-2008, 07:33 AM
rpg711

Metal fuel canisters are nice, since they don't have condensation.
You could also transport your fuel in some sort of thermos-type vacuum insulated thing, that way there is 0% chance of condensation, even if there was 95% humidity
Old 07-17-2008, 07:59 AM
slayerphonics

ORIGINAL: rpg711

Metal fuel canisters are nice, since they don't have condensation.
You could also transport your fuel in some sort of thermos-type vacuum insulated thing, that way there is 0% chance of condensation, even if there was 95% humidity
How does a metal can not produce condensation?

if its hotter inside the can then out side the can it will condensate, all the metal can does is not let sunlight in,

If you have a metal cup and put ice water in it, the out side of the metal cup will condensate on the outside.

Its better to use a plastic jug because you can squeeze most of the air out of inside of the container before you seal it shut, just keep it out of the sun.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:53 AM
INTEGRA

X2 plastic over metal...BOTH will condensate if left in the sun.....How can u possibly claim a metal container WILL NOT Condensate rpg711 ? i really dont understand your theory ?
Old 07-17-2008, 09:10 AM
JB COMP

ORIGINAL: Cypriot Boy

Me too.

Old 07-17-2008, 09:37 AM
rpg711

ORIGINAL: INTEGRA

X2 plastic over metal...BOTH will condensate if left in the sun.....How can u possibly claim a metal container WILL NOT Condensate rpg711 ? i really dont understand your theory ?
ok sry I said wrong, i ment to say that since nitro is sensitive to sun, metal canisters dont let sun in it.
My thermos idea is still legit tho
Old 07-17-2008, 10:25 AM
INTEGRA

Trinity has that idea Down Pat.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/20664
Old 07-17-2008, 10:28 AM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Metal still has the advantage of keeping out sunlight though. Photodegradation will occur over a period of time if the fuel is left in sunlight in a clear container.

As an aside: Honestly, a small amount of condensation in fuel does not have NEARLY the negative affect most people would have you believe. I don't have a link handy, but a well-known user on this forum did a series of tests mixing small amounts of water in varying concentrations into nitro fuel and found no noticeable performance decreases until a significant amount of water was in the fuel mixture. Don't leave your fuel sitting in the rain with the cap off and you'll be fine.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:46 PM
hrdcoreglf

I use Odonnell which comes in a white plastic gallon jug. Never had a problem. What is wrong with the containers your fuel comes in? If it is clear just paint it white with some spray paint.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:01 PM
razzor

Both metal and plastic containers will work.
On the plastic its good to use dark coloured bottles to keep out sunlight.
Good idea though for you to decanter a large 5 liter or so into smaller containers.
I store my fuel in the corner of my garage where there is minimal light.
Also moisture would be a problem if not used over a long period of time and moisture would get into the fuel if left open for long periods of time.
I mix my fuels in batches of 25/30 liters and have no issues with storage when less than half is in the conatiner.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:13 PM
K_B

ORIGINAL: BuzzBomber

Metal still has the advantage of keeping out sunlight though. Photodegradation will occur over a period of time if the fuel is left in sunlight in a clear container.

As an aside: Honestly, a small amount of condensation in fuel does not have NEARLY the negative affect most people would have you believe. I don't have a link handy, but a well-known user on this forum did a series of tests mixing small amounts of water in varying concentrations into nitro fuel and found no noticeable performance decreases until a significant amount of water was in the fuel mixture. Don't leave your fuel sitting in the rain with the cap off and you'll be fine.
I've heard this as well. I've heard it done with airplane engines. I was told that the motor would run fine until there was something like 15-25% water in the fuel.

I just transport mine in the jugs it comes in. I do keep it in my rubbermaid carry-all out of the sun though since the bottle is translucent.
Old 07-17-2008, 03:45 PM
RcRacer37E

Ive got a little blue cloth like cooler that holds 2 gallons and transport the fuel in that. I add ice on the hot days like today and keep it in the shad. At home its stored in its own mini fridge. I burn through to much fuel to worry about condensation. I do beleive in keeping the fuel as cool as I can till it hit the truggy/buggy tank.
Old 07-17-2008, 03:57 PM
rpg711

ORIGINAL: nascardad24

Ive got a little blue cloth like cooler that holds 2 gallons and transport the fuel in that. I add ice on the hot days like today and keep it in the shad. At home its stored in its own mini fridge. I burn through to much fuel to worry about condensation. I do beleive in keeping the fuel as cool as I can till it hit the truggy/buggy tank.
The fuel actually should be the exact same temperature as it is outside.
There is absolutely no condensation if it is the same temperature as outside.
Ice will CREATE condensation lol... i mean, it IS water :P
I wanted to store it in a mini-fridge just to keep it longer, because no matter what, you keep it constantly at the same temperature with no condensation(refrigerators have compressors and condensers for a reason) at 0% humidity(almost) so yeah.
Anotehr way would be to keep it in some sort of dehumidifier-airtight thing.
Old 07-17-2008, 04:28 PM
rccheech

ORIGINAL: JB COMP

ORIGINAL: Cypriot Boy

Me too.

In the car and off to the track!!!!
Old 07-17-2008, 05:29 PM
mabuecker
My Feedback: (8)

Keep it in the basement until raceday and toss in the car until you get there then keep in shade
Old 07-17-2008, 05:42 PM
youwish16

i keep mine in a blue bag, in my closet. when i get to the track i keep it in the bag then when im at the track it stays in my dads van(which has a window a/c unit in the drivers window and all the windows are blocked with sheets to keep the sun out). Keep the doors closed and the temp in the van is around 75 degrees. its sweet. van also has a bed and a tv. home away from home
Old 07-17-2008, 05:52 PM
mabuecker
My Feedback: (8)

I work hard and when I play heat is awsome ... only thing better than 100degree heat is the sunburn that goes along with it
Old 07-18-2008, 12:21 PM
RcRacer37E

ORIGINAL: rpg711

ORIGINAL: nascardad24

Ive got a little blue cloth like cooler that holds 2 gallons and transport the fuel in that. I add ice on the hot days like today and keep it in the shad. At home its stored in its own mini fridge. I burn through to much fuel to worry about licence. I do beleive in keeping the fuel as cool as I can till it hit the truggy/buggy tank.
The fuel actually should be the exact same temperature as it is outside.
There is absolutely no condensation if it is the same temperature as outside.
Ice will CREATE condensation lol... i mean, it IS water :P
I wanted to store it in a mini-fridge just to keep it longer, because no matter what, you keep it constantly at the same temperature with no condensation(refrigerators have compressors and condensers for a reason) at 0% humidity(almost) so yeah.
Anotehr way would be to keep it in some sort of dehumidifier-airtight thing.
I didnt say freezer, fridge is set at 50 degrees. As long as you keep the lid and the red seal for you gallon jug you need not worry about condensation. They are made air tight. Think about it, if they werent air tight we all would be screaming about fuel going bad before we could use up the gallon. Most fuel sits around any were from 2-3 months before you ever get it in your hands (most fuels). They ship from over seas, go through customs, then to distributors then out to the hobby shops were you then get the fuel.
As long as your not transporting more than 4 gallons your good no matter how its transpored, any more than 4 gallons and you need a hazmat permit.
Old 07-18-2008, 03:26 PM
Stunt4life

I'm like a squirrel, my cheeks can hold 6 tanks worth!