Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Why do they buy junk?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 10:37 PM
thopper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why do they buy junk?

Why do people buy the low cost junk buggies...save money? That never works in the long run you pay more.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:54 PM
SD2006

Default RE: Why do they buy junk?

So... What prompted you to post this?
Old 07-17-2008, 11:04 PM
sfar785

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

some people aren't born with deep pockets and buy what they can afford...or they don't wanna blow a ton of money on something they're not sure they'll be interested in....or the same reason you posted this question, we're just not sure [>:]
Old 07-17-2008, 11:59 PM
Nik.

Because they are not sure weather this hobby is right for them, or to have something to learn on, get started with, or think they are getting a 'deal'.

Or, god forbid, think what they are buying is better then more expensive equipment.

You get what you pay for.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:12 PM
RcRacer37E

Its like this.. Your son turns 16 and gets hes drivers licence, are your going to run out and by him a $50,000 vett or a $500 beater? Same thing applies. Once you get better perhaps they will get a better buggy or truggy, but to learn on its fine to run a older hyper 7-8 sp1 or what ever the case might be.
When I started out I had a 2wd rush evo, then got a hot bodies lsp then a hyper 8. Now all I own is kyosho buggies and truggies. I have a revo to for just bashing and running cats over[:@].
Old 07-18-2008, 12:16 PM
electech

ORIGINAL: nascardad24

Its like this.. Your son turns 16 and gets hes drivers licence, are your going to run out and by him a $50,000 vett or a $500 beater? Same thing applies. Once you get better perhaps they will get a better buggy or truggy, but to learn on its fine to run a older hyper 7-8 sp1 or what ever the case might be.
When I started out I had a 2wd rush evo, then got a hot bodies lsp then a hyper 8. Now all I own is kyosho buggies and truggies. I have a revo to for just bashing and running cats over[:@].
lets see some you tube vid of the cat running over thing [>:][X(]
Old 07-18-2008, 12:22 PM
westphill24

Well in my situation Im just aquiring things that I need so most of my money goes to tools, broken parts, equipment so that leaves a very limited budget for the cars themselves. But, I havent bought anything no name, it was just the sportwerks kits.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:49 PM
wrob

I've been learning the hard way...$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Never ending...
A low cost buggy can cost you more quite fast and you may never get the problems solved.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:39 PM
RcRacer37E

ORIGINAL: electech

ORIGINAL: nascardad24

lets see some you tube vid of the cat running over thing [>:][X(]
Cats are smart though. They hear the rc engine and their gone to the corn feild.

Old 07-18-2008, 03:25 PM
Stunt4life

If you can buy it without taking out a 2nd morgage on your house then its a cheap car!!

Lol, why buy the 4$ loaf bread when some company makes the same stuff for 85 cents, is their reasoning imo.
Old 07-18-2008, 04:01 PM
mabuecker
My Feedback: (8)

I've been rcn for a couple years and just this early spring went 1/8 scale(after seeing nearby nitro indoor track) . . . I basically jumped right in bought truggy then I bought the wrong buggy(mayhem for $250)then bought 2 8ight rollers ... found real good deals ...all ebay auctions that were not sold and made offer a couple hours after auction ... then had to make upgrades lot of rebuild time and so on ...I wont say how much I have spent ... its took a lot to get both race ready with back up parts to rely on etc ... buying everything for a couple racing intermediate buggy/truggys isnt that bad if you work a descent job and have patience ...
Old 07-18-2008, 04:49 PM
vladconnery
My Feedback: (1)

I bought a DNA racing buggy from ebay because my friend had a buggy. come to find he has a redcat buggy so a cheap buggy owner suggested a cheap buggy to me. nothing but probs. so I see a you tube race and decide a 1/8 is for me. I start looking and dang these things are expensive so back to ebay. tryying to find a bargain see an XTM do a lil research its supposed to be a good buggy. I buy the buggy and I love it goes everywhere and is fast compared to my previous buggy. So the engine in this buggy starts giving me a fit and its a pullstart so you no my pain. I finally get fed up and swear off pullstarts gonna get me a good engine with a bumpbox. Buy a RB S3 whaaaat a difference Put the motor in the xtm find out this buggy is not built to race. 2 weeks later I buy a LOSI wooooowww. This is what I been missing. Long story shorter got aalot of bad advice in the beginning. spent enough money in the beginning to have 2 LOSI's.
Old 07-18-2008, 05:05 PM
j_blaze

if you buy a cheep car you will learn more wrenching than driving so they are not totally pointless, good wrenching is key to rc racing. i started into rc racing with $125 investment then had to go buy gas at the lhs. been hooked ever since and i've learned a lot along the way. many thousands of dollars later i still have that ol smartech in a box or drawer somewhere in parts.
Old 07-18-2008, 05:22 PM
mabuecker

I agree wrenching helps ... a cheap buggy has pros ... man there just aint nothing like a real race buggy .. from racing to wrenching on them its all part of the experience ...
Old 07-18-2008, 05:46 PM
markind

Hi all I'm a nOOB to Nitro, and total nOOB to buggies.

I just bought a Robitronics Protos from Tower for $255 delivered. Since I have nothing, I figured I would get radio and everything and drive the thing right away. On inspection, I could tell its a 'please don't crash and be nice to me' kind of model.

It took some wrenching but my son and I followed the directions, which were very good. After doing double the specified break-in, we took a quart of fuel through it and had a great time. At full speed, it would certainly explode if you rammed a curb, but we had a big empty parking lot and despite a couple close calls, one decent bump and flip-over, the model survived without needing repairs.

Just need new tires though! ha we shredded the stock ones. I think the brakes are done too...

This RTR cheap-o won't win us any medals, but we'll get some fun out of it and hopefully not break the bank!
Old 07-18-2008, 05:51 PM
mabuecker

Its all for fun either way ...
Old 07-18-2008, 06:12 PM
mfroot

Here is the deal, I hope everyone is listening. It's not that people set out to buy junk, some people are trying a less expensive car to see if they like the hobby. Other's for whatever reason may not be able to afford a brand new exray 808 or kyosho mp9, but they still want to have fun and are intitled to have fun and whatever lower cost buggy they have, it's not junk to them. In my opinion, someone with a buggy that has to be worked on is a good thing because if you can't work on it or fix and know how it works then when it comes time to upgrade, you will not know how to take it apart and do it. I guess the point I am trying to make is, if you have the money to buy the best that is great, but just because you can buy the best does not mean you will be the best. I have seen people with money spend thousands on the best golf clubs and in the end suck ***** while average joe with his Wal-Mart clubs is finishing under par. I don't mean to sound angry, but I am because what you look at as junk is someone else's fun and before you start thinking I am saying this because I run a cheaper buggy and want to feel good about myself, I don't. Kyosho 777, dx3r, rb engine top of the line, so my point is when a new guys starts a thread and ask's about a lower price buggy. Instead of telling him why not put a $150.00 dollars more to it and get this buggy. Why not tell him some of the things that might break and tell him where a good place to buy parts might be? If he had the extra $150.00, he would be asking about the more expensive buggy to start with.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:16 PM
zjwhitrock

ORIGINAL: mfroot

Here is the deal, I hope everyone is listening. It's not that people set out to buy junk, some people are trying a less expensive car to see if they like the hobby. Other's for whatever reason may not be able to afford a brand new exray 808 or kyosho mp9, but they still want to have fun and are intitled to have fun and whatever lower cost buggy they have, it's not junk to them. In my opinion, someone with a buggy that has to be worked on is a good thing because if you can't work on it or fix and know how it works then when it comes time to upgrade, you will not know how to take it apart and do it. I guess the point I am trying to make is, if you have the money to buy the best that is great, but just because you can buy the best does not mean you will be the best. I have seen people with money spend thousands on the best golf clubs and in the end suck ***** while average joe with his Wal-Mart clubs is finishing under par. I don't mean to sound angry, but I am because what you look at as junk is someone else's fun and before you start thinking I am saying this because I run a cheaper buggy and want to feel good about myself, I don't. Kyosho 777, dx3r, rb engine top of the line, so my point is when a new guys starts a thread and ask's about a lower price buggy. Instead of telling him why not put a $150.00 dollars more to it and get this buggy. Why not tell him some of the things that might break and tell him where a good place to buy parts might be? If he had the extra $150.00, he would be asking about the more expensive buggy to start with.

so true, I think what the origanal poster ment was, Why do people buy the no name stuff off of ebay?
Old 07-18-2008, 06:38 PM
musclecar64

I'm very glad someone started this thread. Just look at my sig...
Old 07-18-2008, 06:47 PM
mabuecker

spending so much money takes some getting used to - especially starting out ... I have said before and have to say again I know guys spending three times as much as myself at least every other week and that guy in particular is a top racer at the track ... everybody rebuilds ... ... ... funny I was thinking of mentioning a thread today about comparisons of racers spending $ ... once I got to the full fledge race setups seems like I spend at least $50 a week on everything from spares to repairs minus fuel ...
Old 07-18-2008, 06:58 PM
youwish16

sometimes ppl just cant afford the "good stuff". not everyone was been wealthy and not everyone has parent that will buy them anything. i cant afford to spend $1500 on a good setup when im paying around $14,000 to attend college each year(btw i graduate in a year and a half!)

i try to buy relatively cheap stuff(being a college student who doesnt make much). I race a rtr turmoil(which i call "the budget buggy" ) with a $109 picco motor, $49 dynamite pipe. i do have some nice stuff also like dynamite aluminum clutch shoes and a Ace DS1313 steering servo. i say why spend $250 on a motor and $100 an a pipe when you can spend $150 for a setup like mine. in racing, its more the driver than it is the car.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:04 PM
mabuecker

man youwish16 ... good luck with school seriously you will be racing 1/1 later in life if you please ... your set-up sounds good ... to be honest altogether I'm just happy to be 1/8 scale racing myself ... its lots of fun ...
Old 07-18-2008, 07:08 PM
Kemo

i've got what some people would consider a budget buggy and truggy, but they fit well. Rather durable, easy to setup and are both rather competitive under my control on the track. Ive got a Redcat Hurricane (with mp 7.5 hopups) and a VTX ST1, and I cant say that I regret buying them.

I'll be adding another Redcat to my family here in the next week, the Rampage TT buggy.

You guys can have all the top tier equipment on the market, but it doesn't mean a thing unless you know how to use it well.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:12 PM
mabuecker

I watched a Lx1 a couple months ago run real nice took second or 3rd at a club race and kept right up all day real good tight race
Old 07-18-2008, 07:33 PM
vladconnery
My Feedback: (1)

Don't get me wrong I'm not bashing my old ebay special or my XTM. They taught me how to turn a wrench and improvise. Which have found out Improvising is a very important skill. Those buggy's got me hooked on Rc'ing. They also lead me to realize what a quality buggy is really like. What it feels like to have a buggy the corners like it's on rails. When you start out at the bottom theres no where to go but up. How do you know when you got a buggy that corners good and jumps good. If you have nothing to compare it to. Guys kill me with the AE, Mugen, Xray, LOSI and Kyosho argument. Those 5 buggys are elites in there class and theres probally not much diffence in them. 1 may corner better, 1 may be more durable, 1 may jump better and 1 may have more precision parts. None have it all it comes down to what feels good to you. All I know is if it wasn't for my ebay special and my XTM. I would not have been smiling ear to ear when I got my LOSI. I woulda had know idea what a good buggy was. How to take care of it. NO NOOB SHOULD START WITH A ELITE BUGGY. I know how important it is to take care of my buggy and engine because of my previous mistakes. Could not imagine having bought my RB engine and treated it like I did my 1st engine. Who never saw a drop of after run and were always put away with gas in the tank. Who rarely got there filters cleaned. My wife says she gonna mount a steering wheel on her ***** so I will treat her a good as I do my LOSI. Pour out a lil liquor for those cheap learning curve buggy's. That take alot of abuse wind up in a drawer or box in parts. However teach you all the DON'T DO's of RC'ing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.