Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Dubai - RC Events

Old 09-03-2008, 05:00 AM
madiaz29

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dubai - RC Events

Hi guys

It was my 2nd time to join in your race @ nad al sheba last 29th of Aug. and I really had fun racing with you guys.

So.., when will be the next race?? Hope someone could update us from time to time so that we could invite more racers here in Abu Dhabi.

Cheers to everyone

Alvin D
Orange Buggy
Old 09-03-2008, 11:30 AM
mister-e

Hey Cathurga,

Nice to hear some voice who is interested in electric on road ;-)
I used to be active in that area as well.
However, because the challenges here in Dubai for having a dedicated on road track, I'm running off road.
It would be really nice if there is any (on road track. Preferrably indoor and cooled ) , along with the required maintenance of the track.
A dirty on road track doesn't make sense. You will be doing your setup for nothing and a huge increase in wear and tear of your investment doesn't help the hobby.

Anyway, for the time being, we are having fun at Nadal Sheba track.
Especially when our DXBMan is arranging some races.
Let's hope that more people are able to join the community and more hobby shops are attracted to sponsor the events.
Also after the ramadan, the weather will be much better and more events are to come.

I believe that the Abu Dhabi group is also preparing to organize races for the coming winter.
Looking forward to that!!

Madiaz,

Because of ramadan, the events will be organized at night if there is any.
Just let others who are interested to show their voice here.
I'm sure DXBMan is willing to organize something.

Cheers!!!
Old 09-04-2008, 05:12 AM
cathurga

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Mister-e et al!

Yeah, an on-road indor track would be awesome. Finding a suitable venue is impossible tho, warehouse space is at a premium, and reall estate generally is prohibutuve from a cost perspective. Having a club that contributed to the use would be great, but I do not see any of the hobby shops taking an interest in actually setting something up. These things take some initiative and unfortunately apart from a few, the hobby is considered a 'toy-grade' past time to them, profit is the word of the day.
I can think of one chain inparticular that has an outlet in an expensive mall, and although I am sure they attract some businees, the high rental being paid has to come from somewhere, and that is applied at all the shops. It is a business, and it has to be run that way for them to be successful. I cannot help thinking that having a shop in a more 'run-down' part of town, with a track and maintenance crew, would be better for us hobbyists, and I am sure they could lure a good crowd and make some money off refreshments and memberships to clubs, racing teams and services like tuning, race setups etc.
Someone, one day is going to click on to this concept, have sufficient spares to back up the sales and client base.
An indoor 'arena' with on road racing, a crawling garden and maybe a mini/electric off road track would be a great addition to the rc scene here. Non-race days could charge a Dhs10 cover per car for practice and fun get togethers.

Yep.....that would be awsome. Until then....see you all at Nad Al Sheba, that is of course until it gets knocked down and replaced by a new mall :-)

If anyone is interested in a crawling session somewhere, let me know. Toys & Us apparently has some of the Tamiya CR-01 based Land Cruisers on order, they are very capable crawlers, are we detailed and lots of fun! A coupla those on a crawl trail would make a great fun bash!

Andy
Old 09-10-2008, 04:55 AM
tommygun32

Anybody heading to the track this weekend? Sept 12 or 13??
Old 09-10-2008, 10:51 AM
joydude630

ORIGINAL: tommygun32

Anybody heading to the track this weekend? Sept 12 or 13??
what time on 12 or 13?
Old 09-10-2008, 03:18 PM
mister-e

Guys,

I'm there starting at 6 with several others [:-]

The afternoon is time for the fam!
Old 09-11-2008, 06:22 AM
tommygun32

Mister-E.

6 pm or AM?? [X(]
Old 09-11-2008, 02:07 PM
qaiz

We're planning an endurance race the coming friday ( 19 - 09 ).

Only 20 applications will be accepted, buggy and truggy in the same class. Who ever completes the most laps, wins. As simple as that.

You can email your applications to - [email protected]

Will notify everyone about the location of the payment.

No payments will be accepted at the track, EXCEPT for Abu Dhabi racers

The race will start at 10PM, and end around 11PM.

Its a weekend, and its cooler at night.

I will do my level best to provide food and drink.

The entry fee will be around 175 - 200

Please feel free to PM me or DXBMan for any more info.

Note :

Registrations will not be accepted after 9:00 PM Thursday 18 September.

Thanks Guys.
Old 09-14-2008, 06:14 AM
tommygun32

Oh well....I'm just going to have to wait till after Ramadan and the new season starts i guess. Not even going to contemplate driving competitively at night...[&o]
Old 09-18-2008, 03:01 PM
Jamea

any updates about the race or entry list so far?
Old 09-19-2008, 02:07 AM
mister-e

Gents,

I haven't heard anything since, so I would guess that the event is cancelled.
During the ramadhan period, its always a challenge to organize things.

It would be nice to hear some update for any announced events!!!
Old 09-20-2008, 06:52 AM
BrianBrasil

Oh well....I went to the track yesterday thinking that we would have the race...But it looked like it was cancelled.[:@]
Old 09-20-2008, 07:10 PM
clawarun

hey gents,

finally i was able to find an r/c vehicle group(watever the numbers) in the area.
can any of u please tell me where this race track is ?? i see nad-al-sheeba. but where in ?
I'm jus getting into the truggy part of R/C'ing and wud most appreciate if u guys could guide me along. Am getting myself a Traxxas Revo this month and wanted to plan ahead for activities I'd like to head for some track rather than just bash around (atleast not all the time )
Abt this track, is it open all the time to visitors other than during events, or closed at times. Is there any charge for usage ?
who owns/maintains it ?

Abt myself, I stay in Abu-Dhabi, work for GAMCO (i mentioned tat to know if there are any R/Cers in the company )

will be seein u guys soon
AA
Old 09-21-2008, 03:51 AM
tommygun32

Hi clawarun,

The track in Dubai is located opposite Nad al Sheeba (called Maydan now).

If you're coming from Abu Dhabi, take Shk Zayed Road until you get to Safa Park Interchange. Hang a right and follow the road all the way past the camel market, Falcon Heritage Center, etc. You'll get to a small r/bout where you can only really go left ( Maydan construction site is the other exit). Follow this road all the way to the end, through another r/bout. Next you'll come to another, medium sized r/bout with signs that read "police station" and "private access road". Make a U-turn here and come back on yourself (if you go over the bridge, you've gone too far mate). As you're heading back towards Maydan, you'll see a couple of low lying horse stables on your right (equestrian quaranteen stables). Just after these stables, the road veers slightly to the left. At this point, come off the road and make a right. Here you'll see a well used dirt track. Follow this track towards the Burj Dubai. From there you can't miss the R/C track. Look for the two sets of bleachers. You may also see some RC planes and helo's flying around the area.

People are usually there during the weekends and sometimes in the evenings on weekdays. It's a bit hit & miss at the moment during Ramadan, but if there are no races scheduled, anyone can use the track, no charge. Just treat it with some respect. It's government (Sheikh's) land and the track is basically maintained by a few very big hearted guys. During races, there's a small fee like 75 - 100 chips to pay the marshalls, help with the organization costs, etc.

There's also a track in Abu Dhabi mate. don't know exactly where, but maybe someone else will see your post and give you directions.

Why a REVO??
Old 09-21-2008, 04:16 AM
Abu Jojo

The race track in Abu Dhabi is located at Sheik Zayed Sports City. It is near the Ice Skating Rink and Bowling Center. We usually go there every friday morning to test our 1/8th Buggy on the track. You can inquire future events on this track like tournaments and races at the Hobby Center at Muror Road near Taxi Stand.
Old 09-21-2008, 08:11 AM
mister-e

Hi,

If you are planning to attend races, then I would get either a buggy or truggy.
Those are the most common classes people are racing with.
Most of them are buggies while the amount of truggies are growing.
If you just want to bash around, then revo is fine.
Old 09-21-2008, 08:53 AM
clawarun

Hey guys,

thanks for the responses.
i found the location of the track at NAS , at Qaiz's rc club page. Thanks anyway TommyGun32. Why a Revo, well, it all comes down to the suspension. I'm a design student and the suspension setup of the traxxas jus bowled me over and jus wanted to get my hand on it for a closer look (and perhaps future mods , coz CNC is my other hobby[8D])
I liked the overall features aswell.

Great to know abt the track at SheikZayed's AbuJoJo, i absolutely didn't know abt tat. I've been to the HobbyCenter here at Muroor quite a few times when i started with electric planes, but the guy there (Althaf his name is i think) didn't mention anything abt this track, well but its been a while since i've been there, the aero part of rc'ing didn't take off (literally) coz cudn't find any instructors here in Abu-Dhabi, and fixing an appointment at Dubai didn't work out , coz i work shifts and weekends (my offs sometime fall on weekdays).

I see ur point mister-e, i can't find people to race i guess with a revo, maybe i'll get a buggy, shudn't be much (atleast for someone who's into this )
But I'll stick with the revo for now and moreover, i might totally go overboard and get myself the platinum and take it from there. I'm a sucker for mods and customs [>:]

and guys, just a thought, i see some of u mention 'A Main'....as in 'A Main Hobbies.com' i suppose.
I'm getting stuff shipped from them. The stores (not jus RC) here aren't still up to the variety/selections i like. i do regulary get stuff over the net.
The shipping does 'kill' at times. In future, shud any of u be needing stuff from AMH, i think we can pool orders and share the shipping, like i still have a few items on Backorder.
Anyways jus an idea, anyone interested please raise ur hand...... I'm gonna burn myself in 'shipping charges' anyway [&:]

Thanks again for the posts. Will meet up soon....
AA
Old 09-21-2008, 03:13 PM
rockinro

welcome aboard clawarun...we are all fascinated with the engineering behind these little machines (cars, planes, helis, the lot!), thats why we're in this hobby

as for shipping, u should take a look at ARAMEX Shop & Ship, they basically set up a mailbox for u in the US and England...basically u pay domestic shipping from A Main and then ARAMEX forwards your mail to the UAE, it takes a bout 4-6 days and they do the clearing/customs for u and deliver it to ur door. The first 1/2 kilo is for AED39 and every additional kilo is for AED30. Check it out and see if its cheaper for u.
http://www.aramex.com/shopandship/Rates.aspx

hope to see u at the track after Ramadan
Old 09-21-2008, 03:31 PM
clawarun

whoa......

rockinro my man ur a life saver. i had no idea of such a thing... cud have saved like hell on all the stuff i've got so far !!!

thanks again, hope to see u guys soon too.
AA
Old 09-23-2008, 02:49 AM
rockinro

just don't forget to calculate the US domestic shipping charges in too
Old 09-23-2008, 11:57 AM
clawarun

yup,

and the customs charges here for anything worth more than $250
the guy at aramex gave me an estimate of customs for a $300 item as Dhs140.
still, shud work out to a lot less in majority of instances.[&:]

Old 09-24-2008, 04:39 AM
tommygun32

When you order on-line, fill out the "special instructions" box and ask the people you're buying the stuff from to put the value at about $125 - 150 on the shipping manifest. That way you're not paying the customs on this side. Most companies will help you out that way.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:18 AM
rockinro

thats what I like about the people i've dealt with from China/Hong Kong, they already mark the value as $5-25 without me telling them
Old 09-25-2008, 04:06 AM
eddy76

Hi all

First a small presentation,
My name is eddy and I live in France, I will be moving to Dubai in the coming months and I found your track on the internet, I actually owne a Team Losi 8eight buggy equiped with a OS Recab engine (.21).

I was wandering how does the track work, do we have to be in a club or do we have to pay something to a specific shop?

Where is the track located exactly?

Thx for all your answers, of course any additional info is more than welcome
Old 09-25-2008, 04:33 AM
tommygun32

Hi Eddy,

Just scroll up the page mate. There's complete directions and loads of info about the track, costs, etc.

Let us know when you land on our shores man. Plenty of races coming up in the new season.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.