Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Raze for first Nitro?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 09:36 PM
forrest225

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raze for first Nitro?

Hi guys im looking into possibly getting a nitro and i have done a lot of research. is the duratrax raze buggy good for a nitro noob. i have lots of driving experience so high speeds will not be a problem. i am open to suggestions. i will have about 400 or more to spend. im sorry i f this has many errors but i am currently out of time and i am typing at hte speed of light. lol
Old 10-19-2008, 09:42 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Raze for first Nitro?

There are other buggies I would recommend over that one like a Hyper 7.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:13 AM
forrest225

I forgot to mention, I will be using it on just about any surface you can think of. Are there any other company's you would recommend? I am not very familiar with brands that have good 1/8 products, although i could tell you tons about 1/10, 1/18, and 1/36.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:02 AM
supermod

the raze is a little better out of the box than a hyper 7 tq,perfect noob ride,raze has better radio,servos,reciever and a more powerful engine,but with a few upgrades the hyper is better.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:41 AM
cobra26

The Raze is an excellent buggy or ST for a nitro noob. They are reliable, consistent, tough as nails, and backed by the 1-year plastic parts guarantee. However, if you have lots of good driving experience under your belt you may be ready for something like the OFNA Hyper TQ 7 or Thunder Tiger ST-1 truggy. On the other hand, for strictly bashing over anything and everything, I'd go with the Raze or Raze ST for their absolute ease of operation and incredible durability.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:16 PM
forrest225

thanks for all the help guys. im gonna have to consider all this.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:16 PM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I usually suggest the OFNA Ravager for someone who is on a budget and doesn't want to race. A friend has the RAZE and it's fine. My son has the RAVAGER and I would say it is better. Mind you, those FORCE engines arn't the best with regards to longevity, but his 28 is still going strong and certainly seems more powerful than the RAZE engine.

Of course, with $400 you can do better than either of these buggies, but you still needsome for fuel, parts, and the inevitable upgrades.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:28 PM
forrest225

Gosh guys, this is hard lol. Which one has the highest build quality over all?
Thanks for all the help so far.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:20 PM
rshooch

if ur just going to bash drop the 300.00 or less on the raze and use the rest of the money for some of the upgrade parts like the chassis braces ect.... and u will have a solid basher. or get the ultra lx one its 280.00 super durable and you can use the extra money left for servo (steering) and hop ups, plus its alot faster than the raze out of the box.. when it comes down to the 1/8 buggie rtr's that are around the $300.00 range theay are all pretty much the same(give or take). i cant talk for the raze engine as far as how long it lasts but my force .28 has 3 3/4 gallon fuel threw it running 230 to 250 temp. and i still hit 40+ mph.

exp. raze better than avarage seering servo
ultra lx one crappy servo but alot faster
Old 10-20-2008, 10:29 PM
NitroVette

The new OFNA Picco powered buggy at $329 is a great buggy for the money. There's no way a Raze is as good as any OFNA buggy.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:18 AM
catbutt

I agree with 46u, I'd go with a hyper 7 TQ rtr. for $299.99. Great buggy at a great price. The "get what your LHS stocks" is always valid advice, although. Good luck.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:27 PM
The Hedgehog

Hyper 7 hands down. I still race mine and win races with it.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:33 PM
jigawatt

Hyper 7 for the win on this one... for someone to compare a proven winner against a Raze/Smartech Vanguard is insane, and especially since the user claimed the raze is better in initial quality (out of box).
Old 10-21-2008, 04:24 PM
romax

I can tell you from experience. I have the raze truggy & my son has the hyper 7 tq sport black. The duratrax is a good for beginners. It has the fm radio but the am on the hyper works just fine. you will have to replace the steering servos on both soon because neither are very good. Both engines are easy to tune & are reliable. you prob. will get tired of the pull start instantly. As far as engine performance i can't say for sure but the .27 in my truggy seems a little slow , of course it may be fast in a buggy. Overall the raze is a good product but i would have to give my vote to the hyper 7. I have noticed the ofna just seems to have stayed tighter over time. Also if you decide to race as we have the hyper will be a competetive racer. Hope this helps. Let us know what you get.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:58 PM
forrest225

Right know i am definitely leaning towards the OFNA hyper 7 tq. I dont have i local hobby shop that i can make visits to without planing ahead since i am only 13 (14 in December). The only one that is close enough for that is strictly planes only.