Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC 1/8th Scale Buggies
Reload this Page >

School Me on Racing and sell me (on) a Buggy

Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

School Me on Racing and sell me (on) a Buggy

Old 11-24-2008, 12:15 PM
stz28

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: School Me on Racing and sell me (on) a Buggy

Since most people at Hobby Hut use 2.4GHz, the radio you have
an Airtronics MX3 on 27mhz
should be fine as long as you have at least one set of extra crystals. Although, at some point you will probably want to upgrade.

Starting next year, you will also need an AMB transponder, since Hobby Hut has indicated that they hope to stop providing track loaners.

Crimefighters seem to be a popular tire choice (that's what I use).

There are lots of good buggies and engines on the market...both new and used. Get one that is strong, reliable and has good parts support.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:08 PM
madbrad70

i just started racing last year and bought a used buggy (Xray XB8) and then purchase new motor and electronics. I thought it was pretty good way to go, since a lot of the real competitive buggies that are sold will have some spare parts that come with. But what ever you do, dont buy a used motor!
Old 11-24-2008, 07:04 PM
InfiniteMotors

Thanks again Will.

The thing thats selling me on the S is the on board temp., transponder, tach, etc... I'd assume the R has all that but it's not listed anywhere as standard features.

..Not to mention I also have an MX3... My only fear is that since it's 27mhz there can only be 3 other people on that frequency. I'm not sure if that will be an issue.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:10 PM
InfiniteMotors

ORIGINAL: stz28

Since most people at Hobby Hut use 2.4GHz, the radio you have
an Airtronics MX3 on 27mhz
should be fine as long as you have at least one set of extra crystals. Although, at some point you will probably want to upgrade.

Starting next year, you will also need an AMB transponder, since Hobby Hut has indicated that they hope to stop providing track loaners.

Crimefighters seem to be a popular tire choice (that's what I use).

There are lots of good buggies and engines on the market...both new and used. Get one that is strong, reliable and has good parts support.

Thanks for the heads up
Old 11-24-2008, 08:21 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Not only do you have to worry about frequency conflicts with AM or standard FM but all so other interference that you do not get with 2.4GHz. Have you ever noticed when installing and removing the glow plug starter with AM or standard FM the servos will glitch? With 2.4GHz the are steady as a rock so this shows that 2.4GHz does not get the interference that AM and standard FM does for things like radio signals, power lines, cell phones and so on. Yes any radio will work just like you could get a RTR and race but one is sure better then the other.

The Spektrum only has a built in fail safe for signal loose and not for low receiver battery. The Spektrum R is much faster then the S. I have a radio system that has more features then any other out there but the support and getting extra receivers and sensors are a real pain.

If you want to cut down on problems and be able to enjoy racing more get a starter box. As far as a engine I would stay away from the OS VG series and look at other brands that are about the same price have better performance and more durable. I like OS engines but not there VG series do to the ABL sleeve. You just cannot beat ABC sleeves!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-24-2008, 09:15 PM
westphill24

You'll definitely love Hobby Huts track. Ill be starting my first race season next spring but I have been practicing all summer and cant wait to get back out there. Hobby Hut dosnt carry parts for a lot of buggies, I think only Ofna, so what ever you get read the threads on your choice and order spare parts.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:42 PM
InfiniteMotors

Tons of great info, thanks guys.

I guess the bottom line is that I'm not looking to go out to my first race with a $1500 potential winner buggy. I'd be real happy just to get involved and if I find that racing is something I could do regularly, THEN I'd be more than willing to spend all the time and money needed to win.

In the meantime, I want to be track legal and have a buggy that- if I drive well- could feasibly do OK.
Old 11-25-2008, 03:08 AM
InfiniteMotors

This is looking pretty good after that 25% Live.com discount...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=120322532746
Old 11-25-2008, 06:18 AM
will13

asfar as i know the S dosent have a transponder on it.and the R dosent have the teletry.but if u look at all the top drivers i carent see a single 1 that uses teletry.and yea that mugen looks good.i am still surprised nobody as metioned the rc8.i will be honest with u mate when i say u get what u pay for in this hobby.also if u use ur mx3 do u realy what to run the risk of ur car being smashed up
Old 11-25-2008, 09:50 AM
trackman

keep in mind that the s has telemetry ability, dut does NOT come with the sensors. all that must be
purchased seperately. thats extra weight and a distraction in my opinion. i just use the old temp gun.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:30 AM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All the top level Pro kits are more thencapable of winning races..... However the Mugen is by a big margin the most durable machine your going to find....so due to its toughness and durability I choose Mugen...they are the Lexus of the RC world, easily the most durable RC's money can buy....
Old 11-25-2008, 11:17 AM
maccauley

I race at hobby hut almost every weekend, the track is great. The guys who run the shop are awesome i just started out about 2 months ago and they have helped me every step of the way. I run a losi 8ight RTR right now, im waiting on my new go engine and pipe to be delivered. they really dont enforce the engine rules to much at the track as long as your not beating the hell out of the other drivers. my engine is too big being a mach 427 and because im not a real threat of winning anything they dont care. i just got back from the turkey race at the checkerboard in NJ with the guys from hobby hut, it was a great time. a bunch of us will be going to motorama in feb. to race, you should come along if you can get your car together by then. i plan on running at hobby hut through the winter just to practice and on sundays some of us will be going out to the indoor track, bumps and jumps in harrisburg.
Old 11-25-2008, 02:39 PM
InfiniteMotors

ORIGINAL: maccauley

I race at hobby hut almost every weekend, the track is great. The guys who run the shop are awesome i just started out about 2 months ago and they have helped me every step of the way. I run a losi 8ight RTR right now, im waiting on my new go engine and pipe to be delivered. they really dont enforce the engine rules to much at the track as long as your not beating the hell out of the other drivers. my engine is too big being a mach 427 and because im not a real threat of winning anything they dont care. i just got back from the turkey race at the checkerboard in NJ with the guys from hobby hut, it was a great time. a bunch of us will be going to motorama in feb. to race, you should come along if you can get your car together by then. i plan on running at hobby hut through the winter just to practice and on sundays some of us will be going out to the indoor track, bumps and jumps in harrisburg.

You just said exactly what I wanted to hear! Part of the reason I have so many questions is because I don't know anybody else who is interested in racing, and nohting could be more helpful than an invitation like that. I definitely plan to take you up on that. I didn't realize you could practice at the track over the winter, that would be really helpful too.

Let me know when you'll be up there next, I'd love to stop by.

-Jake

Edit: Just bought the MBX6 and Ninja JX21-B01 !!! Can't wait to see all that carbon!

Old 11-25-2008, 04:58 PM
maccauley

I’ll send you a PM a couple of days before I go to the track. I am planning on going on Saturday as long as it doesn’t rain or something. I live only about 10 min from the track, I am in Berwyn, near 252 and the 202 intersection. I glad you got the mbx 6 because I am looking to get that buggy next spring for the new season. The track should be pretty empty over the winter maybe a few guys here and there. Most run at bumps and jumps over the winter because it’s indoors. Racing is so much fun, I was very nervous before my first race because I was worried about getting in other peoples way but everyone at the Hobby Hut track is very relaxed. did you get the car at hobby hut?
Old 11-25-2008, 05:27 PM
InfiniteMotors

Sounds good. I got the car on eBay only because they offered a total of 35% off one Buy It Now item through Live.com. That's big money on an $800 Buggy/Engine combo.

Glad to hear the guys down there are pretty laid back. I'm actually in between Hobby Hut and ExtremeRC's track in quarryville and heard good things about them too. Have you been down there?

-Jake
Old 11-25-2008, 07:40 PM
46u

I sure like to check my temperatures with my TX when my pit man is pitting me and one more thing he does not have to do and makes my pit stops shorter. All so my TX will go to vibrating and beeping if the engine temperature gets over what I have it set at. If my receiver pack gets low it will warn me LONG before there is a problem. Not sure how it works on the Spektrum S.

Telemetry has not been around long and I am sure you will see it being used more in the future. I do believe you will see other brands adding in in the next year or so. The weight of the temperature sensor and the little bigger RX is so slight!!!!! Maybe 1 or 2 grams if that.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:58 PM
InfiniteMotors

I agree with 46u, the weight of the sensors is negligible. I really don't plan on using the telemetry so much as the temp being displayed on the TX along with onboard Voltage. That's what has me sold on the DX3S.

Either way, I'll be waiting until next spring for a new radio and getting used to the buggy with my MX3 for now.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:19 PM
46u

Maybe by the time you get a radio there will be more choices with telemetry! Right now I only know of 2 that is built in and the one I have I would not recommend as support and getting RX and sensor is hard. [X(]
Old 11-25-2008, 11:02 PM
westphill24

Whats Telemetry?
Old 11-26-2008, 12:04 AM
InfiniteMotors

Telemetry is a general term that applies when information is collected and then quantified remotely to be interpreted as something useful. In the world of motorsport, telemetry allows drivers and engineers to get the "most" out of their race car by viewing its flaws and successes as graphs (typically).

In the RC buggy world, telemetry might show you trends that would lead to helpful tweaks in your carb and chassis tuning. Or, maybe nothing at all.

My interest is almost strictly in onboard (RX) voltage and engine temp being shown on my transmitter. It's just too easy

typo edit
Old 11-26-2008, 01:38 PM
InfiniteMotors

Any pipe recommendations for this JX21 B01?
Old 11-28-2008, 11:39 AM
willzrc

hi,i would recomend hoboa hyper 8.5 pro uk edition and an rb c6 and then some ace servos and it will run like top pros but yu will need some skill cause i got same setup in mine and at top speed when you will roll a few times the hoboa pro uk ed is £349 two ace servos £120 and rb c66 £259 this is in pound cos im english and with that setup you will love it
Old 11-28-2008, 09:22 PM
InfiniteMotors

Thanks, I already picked up an MBX6 though.
Old 11-29-2008, 04:37 AM
will13

so what radio u getting with the mugen then.i might have to get a mbx6 cos all xray products are going up in price by at least 25%.also willzrc where in the uk are u from
Old 11-29-2008, 09:48 AM
InfiniteMotors

Since my MX3 is synthesized I'm going to stick with it until spring. There are no actual races until April around here, so I'm sure I'll be fine with 6 channels to choose from on the fly until then. Once spring comes, it will most definitely be spread spectrum.

I heard about the Xray price spike that's weird. I believe one other company is doing the same thing as well.

-Jake

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.