Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Why is being older a handicap?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 04:48 PM
bweiler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why is being older a handicap?

I thought RC racing would be something an older person could do as well as someone younger because it is not physical. Obviously, I was wrong. Does anyone know what the specific handicaps are and how they can be compensated?

Old 12-30-2008, 04:56 PM
K_B

Default RE: Why is being older a handicap?

The only "handicap" I can think of is hand/eye coordination and vision in general.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:57 PM
rbh261

You've got to remember, kids these days grow up on video games. R/C is like a live video game to them. Younger people have spent years of their lives developing hand/eye coordination before they even get to R/C. That's our handicap.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:07 PM
RCtruckRacer

Hmmm... I grew up with video games. Got the Atari 2600 the first year they came out. I think I was around 10 or 11.

But at 43 I can tell you that my reflexes & depth perception are not what they used to be. Hand-eye coordination is still OK, but the reaction time has slowed a bit. Oh sure, if I practiced like racing was my job I could compete at a high level, but not what I could have at 20. Heck, Pavidis has to be close to 40 and he still kicks tail, Jammin Jay is up there, Gil jr - there's a few that can git er done. But the top level racing is a young man's game.

But I will race rc's for as long as I can, it's just too much fun. I see plenty of racers older than me do quite well at the regional level thank you very much!
Old 12-30-2008, 06:36 PM
rbh261

Not saying olders racers don't do well. The younger ones just come in with an advantage. Older guys, such as myself, have the benefit of experience. There are exercises, which I need to do, that help with depth perception, focus and reaction. Motorcycle racers use the exercises, that's how I learned about them. I've looked at them online and they are pretty simple exercises with big benefit.

I'll keep doing anything as long as it stays fun. Top level racing is there for watching. Club racing with a few of your buddies and having a blast is where it's at.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:33 PM
bweiler

Found this.

http://www.sportrider.com/ride/146_9...ght/index.html

One of my secrets (which is no longer a secret) is using the VRC simulator. I am going to experiment with it and see if it causes any improvement (its also addictive) I typically don't do video games because the adreneline rush I get leaves me feeling awful afterwards. Also, the games give me more eyestrain.

Actually, I am very grateful for this because they exercises talk of solutions for eyestrain and bright light pain, which I have been seeking solutions too. Also, I ride a motorcycle, so thanks.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:55 PM
romax

The motorcycle thing makes sense. My son is 18 & has raced MX for 8 years ( very good at it by the way) but recently started to focus more on school so we started racing r/c So he doesn't have to train. He took to it very quik & is getting in top 3-5 at the club level A main after 3 races. I stopped racing mx in 2002 so my reflexes aren't as good anymore, i'm not doing bad but not as good as him. I also think he seems to be able to put himself in the car as he almost seems to know how it is going to react to an obstical before he hits it (video games). He tends to carry more speed than a lot of others (MX) & jumps really well (MX) A lot of the guys at the track say the mx has helped him. I have noticed that if i stay focused that i am getting better each race so i have more for the kid but he is getting better at a faster rate , so i guess the age thing has a factor too. Oh well,what is it about youth being wasted on the young ?
Old 12-30-2008, 11:16 PM
ace9213

I'm 16 and the only handicap I can think of it reflexes and poor judgement.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:09 AM
mabuecker
My Feedback: (8)

I agree with all the above, very interesting. I see what it takes to keep up with amain guys but honestly cant put that much energy into it. I might be crazy but working the tumblers that fast in my head takes some serious energy..like burning calories and stuff or somthin lol it sure is a blast tho
Old 12-31-2008, 01:50 AM
powers900

This is like gutiar heroes. I can try and try and practice and practice but my son wins every time. The kids now days are so much more advanced. When we play i use 4 fingers like your suposed to. He uses only two fingers on the fret of the guitar and has learned how to slide his fingers to the coresponding note.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:04 AM
hrdcoreglf

The video game idea is not totally true, because the video games deal with eye/hand coordination, but the physics of how a vehicle responds in real life is totally different. I am a gamer so it helps in response times and feeling comfortable with a remote in your hands, but experience is the biggest advantage. I can beat my kids at just about any video game there is, including guitar hero.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:55 AM

ORIGINAL: hrdcoreglf

The video game idea is not totally true, because the video games deal with eye/hand coordination, but the physics of how a vehicle responds in real life is totally different. I am a gamer so it helps in response times and feeling comfortable with a remote in your hands, but experience is the biggest advantage. I can beat my kids at just about any video game there is, including guitar hero.
I agree with this guy "or girl" videogames help to a point, but being able to anticipate a cars movement when it hits a rut can only come from hours and hours of practising on the real thing.
There's no substitute for hands on training period.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:11 PM
bweiler

I believe a kid's advantage is an open mind, without past learning he has to maybe unlearn. Like the guy above who said his son plays the guitar with two fingers, he wasn't trying to play with four like a real guitar.
Old 12-31-2008, 03:18 PM
seatec
My Feedback: (1)

I see getting older as heving your registry overload and slowing us down. I ony wish there was a brain registry purge that i could perform.
Old 12-31-2008, 03:43 PM
mabuecker

lol
Old 12-31-2008, 07:55 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

I am 54 and my biggest handy cap is my eyes. Where I shine is the fact I do meticulous maintenance and very rarely DNF.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:07 PM
mabuecker

no dnf's takes a lot of work..how long you been racing?
Old 12-31-2008, 09:20 PM
46u

I said rarely DNF. I have been racing RC cars and trucks for about 3 years. Sorry to say I have not been to a track in all most 8 months. []
Old 01-01-2009, 12:04 PM
mabuecker

yeah i hear you..it happens to the best. wow i was seriously figuring you all had moocho tracks in georgia. the local indoor offroad fell thru in ft wayne where i live so iv been comuting 2+hours to others in kind of the direct midwest from where im at. the couple weeks after hitting a track can be the worst to me, 1 day of racing has more withdrawl than none for a long time..if i just dont get to a track for along time its eaier. at least thats whast iv been getting.
Old 01-01-2009, 12:06 PM
mabuecker

bad health or somthing broken?
Old 01-01-2009, 12:40 PM
46u

ORIGINAL: mabuecker

yeah i hear you..it happens to the best. wow i was seriously figuring you all had moocho tracks in georgia. the local indoor offroad fell thru in ft wayne where i live so iv been comuting 2+hours to others in kind of the direct midwest from where im at. the couple weeks after hitting a track can be the worst to me, 1 day of racing has more withdrawl than none for a long time..if i just dont get to a track for along time its eaier. at least thats whast iv been getting.
Unfortunately we do not have that many tracks in Georgia and there where several that closed this year. The closes one to me is 1 ½ hours away all back roads. One of the biggest stress is loading everything up and putting it up once home as well as servicing the vehicles. I just do not have the endurance I once had.[] I take everything but the kitchen sink when I go.LOL I have not raced in the last 8 months do to finances, as well as the work I do is very physical! I hope to get back to racing at least once a month shortly.
Old 01-01-2009, 02:00 PM
mabuecker

right on..yeah im just now getting back to work after a pretty serious neck injusry myself..

i hear ya! loading and unloading is a huge factor w/me as well lol..nothings worse than needing somthing that i didnt bring, which hasnt happened since spring which is when i began 1/8 racing..really loading and unloading fatigue and then 2 hours of riding(to and from)can stress the body all too much..and then load and unload at the track..i havnt weighed all my gear but within 2 trips of stuff that goes into the track they both have to weigh about 100-150lbs, and then another load that i leave in the car probably weighs another 80+lbs..

Im 32 and a few years back i would gamble and party and so on, which has fatigue impact as well, in a totally different way. rcn is a struggle unto a point. lately the more i do get to the track the easier it is the next time. i just aim for 2 trips of stuff into the track on wheels or dolly.

then onto drivers stand and back for practice tanks,each heat and main..the ecxitement takes me up and down those stairs &marshall lol but even in pretty strong shape myself i feel it for a few days afterwards lol its a whole nother job, but a fun one at that lol...

at a couple tracks i go to there some guys your age(not that your old)that some of the younger guys marshall for..the older guys wisdom on&off the track pays back 10x
Old 01-01-2009, 06:11 PM
bleinmiller
My Feedback: (4)

Mindset. Think old and you'll drive old. Besides, it just takes some people a lot longer to get the hang of it. Good eyesight. Near-sightedness I think has a huge affect on depth-perception, and to a smaller extent, probably reflex to. I'm 34 and near-sighted w/o glasses and I still do alright. Good eyesight or not, practice, practice, practice. Basically, in my opinion, if you think you're hanicapped then you are, if you don't then you're not. Yeah I'm only 34 so what do I know, right? My Gram will be 100 in July and she thinks positive every day of her life, so I've benefited from her wisdom. Just practice and have fun. As long as you're having fun, nothing else matters. Or if you decide competition is not your thing, buy a monster truck and go bashing at construction sites. Well, enough preaching. Happy racing and keep the shiny side up
Old 01-01-2009, 09:37 PM
46u

ORIGINAL: bleinmiller
As long as you're having fun, nothing else matters.
++++++++++1 That is what it is all about and when it quiets being fun it is time to give it up.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:20 AM
ridgerunner1

++++2 with 46u it's all about having fun I have only been doing this for three years now and at 53 now it's all fun practice practice practice and knowing your rig and what it can and can't do is the thing , Havn't done any racing yet just been practicing on our small track and can now hang with the other guys very well, But this year is the year I'll be hitting some races and give it a shot and in two more I'll be retired and will be hitting most all the races in my state and even want to hit the nitro pit at less once, Your as old as you feel and I don't feel that old....lol Hell i even still race D-Durby now thats a contact sport the only place you can hit another car and not get a ticket.....lol.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.