Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

truggy OR buggy

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 12:46 AM
Daholla77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: truggy OR buggy

ORIGINAL: Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: Daholla77

how is traxxas?
[:'(][:'(][:'(]
Their that bad huh? By their website they seem top of the line. Why are they bad? I am really thinking about getting the traxxas slayer. because of it 400 price range and the style I want. I like the sc8 but 700 hundred the first time around is expensive. Either one I have to save up and go above my original 250 mark.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:14 AM
eddyeddy

how is traxxas?
Their that bad huh? By their website they seem top of the line. Why are they bad? I am really thinking about getting the traxxas slayer. because of it 400 price range and the style I want. I like the sc8 but 700 hundred the first time around is expensive. Either one I have to save up and go above my original 250 mark.
Spend 400 on a truck. And another 200 on replacements.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:34 AM
Daholla77

ORIGINAL: eddyeddy

how is traxxas?
Dont you spend that over a life time of a car, or the ones mention earlier for around the same price are dang near bullet proof?
Old 02-18-2009, 06:20 AM
K_B

Now we're getting into an apples vs. oranges discussion. The Slayer is 4WD like a buggy or truggy but it uses a cantilever suspension and it has a multi-gear transmission. This makes it's construction more complex and therefore, there's more that can go wrong with it. A buggy or truggy has a very simple drivetrain in comparison. There is no transmission to speak of in a buggy/truggy. The engine mates directly to the center differential which then transmits power to the front rear. Parts like A-arms are beefier on a buggy/truggy as well.

In the end, you should get what you like. Just know that the Slayer will require very regular maintenance to keep it in good running shape. If you like to work on your cars as much as drive them, then you'd probably love the Slayer. It's also fast as hell.

Something else to possibly consider is the Slash. It's electric and only 2WD, but it looks just like the Slayer, and it's CHEAP. $200 and all you need is a battery and a charger. It's also very durable and require little maintenance because of it's simplified drivetrain. Because it's electric, it's quiet, which means you can drive it in front of the house without annoying the neighbors. Very rarely has anyone driven my Slash on not had a grin on their face
Old 02-18-2009, 07:06 AM
joeyhatch11

Whatever you decided to go with, make sure you get yourself a failsafe. They are $20 and will save you a ton of money in the future.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:38 AM
Daholla77

ORIGINAL: K_B

Now we're getting into an apples vs. oranges discussion. The Slayer is 4WD like a buggy or truggy but it uses a cantilever suspension and it has a multi-gear transmission. This makes it's construction more complex and therefore, there's more that can go wrong with it. A buggy or truggy has a very simple drivetrain in comparison. There is no transmission to speak of in a buggy/truggy. The engine mates directly to the center differential which then transmits power to the front rear. Parts like A-arms are beefier on a buggy/truggy as well.

In the end, you should get what you like. Just know that the Slayer will require very regular maintenance to keep it in good running shape. If you like to work on your cars as much as drive them, then you'd probably love the Slayer. It's also fast as hell.

Something else to possibly consider is the Slash. It's electric and only 2WD, but it looks just like the Slayer, and it's CHEAP. $200 and all you need is a battery and a charger. It's also very durable and require little maintenance because of it's simplified drivetrain. Because it's electric, it's quiet, which means you can drive it in front of the house without annoying the neighbors. Very rarely has anyone driven my Slash on not had a grin on their face
Is it regular preventive maintenance as you would with a regular car? Also thank you to everybody that has responded
Old 02-18-2009, 04:30 PM
JamieKerr

ORIGINAL: hrdcoreglf

You are really better off saving a little extra a getting a better platform. If you do buy a himoto or redcat or smartech or a dozen other lower cost vehicles, you will be upgrading rather quickly if you really want the racing aspect as you describe in your post. This hobby cost money, even if you start out cheap you won't stay that way long. If you learn off road on a buggy you can drive any of the others that have been mentioned. It is usually one of the largest class of vehicles at the tracks I race at. They are very durable. I love driving on road, off road, I just started flying helicopters(blade 400), but 1/8 buggy is always my favorite. No matter what you end up getting the first thing you must learn is, for every 1 hour of playtime there is 2 hours of bench time. This hobby is definatly a labor of love.

That is what I think, I started off.. with a hyper 8.5 and a GO engine. But now Im into racing had my 1st meet last weekend, won the C Final by 3 laps-That's with 2 flameouts/cutouts.. and Was 5th in the B final, till I had to retire. Due to having cheap-not very high Mah batteries. So now im looking at spending even more, on a new engine.. batteries.. better chargers ect.. tyres fuel. It is a very exspensive hobby, I play tourney paintball over here in the UK and that is exspensive too. But you do, have to really love the hobby...luckly enough I love teching/cleaning my buggy.. I will spend hours cleaning it for a few hours use.. over and over.. but I can never wait till the weekend!
Old 02-18-2009, 07:54 PM
K_B

Is it regular preventive maintenance as you would with a regular car? Also thank you to everybody that has responded
Actually, I'd say that no matter what you have, regular maintenance is a must. With the complexity of the Slayer, it's just alot more time consuming and more can go wrong. That's what's nice about the SC8. It has the CORR truck looks with the simplicity and dependability of the buggy/truggy drivetrain. But with a nasty pricetag.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:46 PM
Aradaiel

People like to bash Traxxas. I liked my T-maxx and my rustler. They were my 3rd and 4th vehicles.

Parts were very accessable, traxxas support by phone was awesome, traxxas warranty is awesome, traxxas website is awesome.

Replacement parts seemed expensive compared to HPI/Losi/Associated (I'm assuming since traxxas is an american company).

I've moved onto a jammin x1 crt that's been fantastic. It handles well, stops well and is fast. It will definately force me to be a better driver. If anything I keep this one and get a buggy later.

I've seen the sc8 on the track that that thing is unreal. It's so cool looking and when driven by a good driver they're fast. I talked to a guy running one and he said that it was much like a buggy but a bit more stable at speed due to the long wheelbase, but a bit tricky due to smaller footprint and less grip from the CORR style wheels.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:58 AM
Daholla77

I am going to get the Traxxis slayer, when the money comes up. I love the sc8 but the price tag is a major deterrent. I cant justify to my wife spending $700 dollars on a big boy toy, especially when it is my first one. I figure i will get the sc8 once in the hobby longer. Once I show I am committed to this hobby she will come around. I like the CORR look of both trucks. I know some might say get the slasher but i want to go nitro.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:13 PM
Daholla77

Hey guys, I have decided not to get the traxxis slayer for now, I called the traxxis people and they recommended that it is not for a first timer with nitro. The guys said there will be a lot of frustration. So I will get it when I get more experience. So i am going to look at the other ones recommended. Man i want the slayer or t he SC8[&o]
Old 02-19-2009, 03:30 PM
K_B

I see SC8s on Ebay for about $630 shipped, but that's still pretty steep. I'm kinda surprised that Traxxas steered you away from the Slayer, but I can say I've seen many a nitro newbie get turned off of the hobbie because they couldn't get their Revo running or whatever.

If your only experience is with Radio Shack stuff, you may wanna start off with a hobby-grade electric vehicle. I'm telling you, the Slash is fun. If you put a brushless sytem in it, it's just as fast if not faster than any nitro; just doesn't handle quite as well in the loose stuff.

If you decide to go nitro still, I would suggest the RC8... that way, you can convert it to an SC8 later with very little hassle.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:59 PM
Daholla77

I think that I have found the right one for me it is the new one from Kyosho (1/10 GP 4WD Desert Racing Truck
(DRT)
http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/picture.../31082-12l.jpg
Old 02-19-2009, 05:02 PM
K_B

I forgot about that one. That truck is based on the DST/DBX chassis. There is a thread around here dedicated to that vehicle. I highly skimming through it before purchasing.

Found it:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6450767/tm.htm

The more I look at it, the more I think that might be the way to go. My only suggestion would be to keep from launching it off huge jumps. I've seen a guy run a DBX on our 1/8 scale track here and the rear shock tower / bulkhead broke upon landing
Old 02-19-2009, 05:44 PM
TheKaiman

You can always go to tower and use easy pay and get the SC8. Easy pay lets you pay in 3 installments instead of all at once. If you join their super saver club they send you codes for 60$ off 300 or more every month as well as free shipping on every order over 150 The SC8 is freakin awesome you won't regrett buying it.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:48 PM
madbrad70

If you really want Nitor, then go get it. The traxxas cars come with very good DVD that walks you through the break in steps of the motor. Plus if you have any other issue's thats what RCUniverse is for! Check out youtube for tuning tips on Nitro motors also. Lot of good stuff.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:44 PM
Aradaiel

I honestly don't think the slayer would be that bad as a beginner truck. I ran through 2 3.3 motors throughout the life of my t-maxx. It tuned pretty easily, had power and got decent runtime. I got 7ish gallons from my last one, I lost count for the exact amount.

As long as you have some patience all will be ok.

A big part of it is don't drive the truck out of your abilities and the physical capabilities of the truck.

Run it in a WIDE OPEN area. If there's 1 pole in a whole 3 acre parking lot, you'll hit it. I know from experience.

If you're looking at that kyosho, look at the jammin .5 crt and the hyper st mini. A bit smaller but same idea. I have seen the .5 CRT pretty cheap new, and a lot used on ebay but I'd seer away from the used market on your first one.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:59 PM
eddyeddy

ORIGINAL: eddyeddy

how is traxxas?
Dont you spend that over a life time of a car, or the ones mention earlier for around the same price are dang near bullet proof?

I own a TTR ST-1, CEN MG16, HPI Firestorm and Xray NT18T. I think I've spent around $40 for replacements over 2 years. My friend needed to cash out this amount for a single crash of his Rustler with my CEN.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:54 PM
rclynx

Some are smart and some just like beating there head against the wall I have 2 X-cellerators that have never been broke with 14 gallons between them