Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

truggy OR buggy

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 07:42 PM
Daholla77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default truggy OR buggy

I was wondering which would be good for a beginner for nitro. Other rc cars I have had where radioshack electrics. I like the buggies because they are fast and remind me more of rally cars(Which is my favorite style of racing) but I have heard they are not that tough. But I like the truggy for the same reasons and they are tougher. I like the truggies and buggies because of their go anywhere style. I told my wife i was going to start this as a hobbie and she just shook her head. But I did tell her it is helluva lot cheaper than fixing up life size cars. I only have about 250 to spend for my first car. So what would be some good brands. I saw exceeds rc buggies for real cheap but seem to good to be true. I did like how they had alot of aluminum hop ups. I plan to replace most of the parts with aluminum ones. Thanks D
Old 02-16-2009, 07:55 PM
Chris_RC

Default RE: truggy OR buggy

Buggies have about the same durability of truggies, dont know where you got that buggies arent durable. Stay away from those Exceed's, they are low wuality, and cheap for that reason. Take a look at the Ofna Hyper 7 tq black for $270 at nitrohouse.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:08 PM
vnmsgt

I think truggy is a better choice for a beginner. Easier to drive without the twitchyness of a buggy. More stable.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:29 PM
K_B

I would agree that truggy is easier to drive, but I recommend going with your gut. I started with a truggy because that's what everyone said I should do. Sold it after a week and got a buggy and couldn't have been happier. Of course, now I have both
Old 02-16-2009, 09:23 PM
clifton421

Truggies are a little easier to drive and are alot better to bash with vs buggies. The only problem with truggies is that a decent one will cost more than a buggy of the same quality. I have only owned buggies myself but I don't bash so I love them. The closest setup to your budget would be the Hyper TQ Black that Chris_RC suggested or the Cen Matrix R2 (I'm not sure what they are going for but I think it is around $300).

Also, are you planning on racing? If not a Monster Truck (MT) would be a good option as well. They are built like tanks and can take a serious beating. Some tracks even have a MT class so you may still be able to race with one. They are not as quick and nimble as buggies or truggies, but they do make a great beginner platform.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:23 PM
Daholla77

I was wondering is redcat sandstorm a good one?
Old 02-16-2009, 09:33 PM
Daholla77

I would like to race evetually yes. There is only one track in the area which is in Vallejo? Have any of you guys tried the CEN rally cars? i was looking at those also.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:28 PM
jikkuria

they rally cars are cool, but i don't know of any tracks in my area that has a rally class. it may be different around you, but i don't hear much about rally. i would have to agree that the hyper 7 would be a great choice, low price, and track potential.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:47 PM
Daholla77

I was wondering is smartech any good?
Old 02-16-2009, 11:51 PM
Chris_RC

Stick to these brands-Hobao, Ofna, Losi, Associated, Xray, Mugen, and Kyosho.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:57 PM
Druss

I'm sorry but you keep bringing up names of cheap knockoffs. The reason that they look like good deals is BECAUSE they are cheap knock offs.

I'd like to add the name Thunder Tiger to the list Chris had, they make the ST-1 truggy and EB-4 buggy, durable and while not the absolute cheapest, are good value.

BELIEVE me, you'd rather buy an all plastic rc vehicle from the the list Chris gave than an all aluminum blinged out flashy POS of a knock off.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:37 AM
Chris_RC

Yes, I would also consider Thunder Tiger. Thier ST-1 is great value from amain. $300 for a RTR truggy that can compete at club level racing.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:49 AM
hrdcoreglf

You are really better off saving a little extra a getting a better platform. If you do buy a himoto or redcat or smartech or a dozen other lower cost vehicles, you will be upgrading rather quickly if you really want the racing aspect as you describe in your post. This hobby cost money, even if you start out cheap you won't stay that way long. If you learn off road on a buggy you can drive any of the others that have been mentioned. It is usually one of the largest class of vehicles at the tracks I race at. They are very durable. I love driving on road, off road, I just started flying helicopters(blade 400), but 1/8 buggy is always my favorite. No matter what you end up getting the first thing you must learn is, for every 1 hour of playtime there is 2 hours of bench time. This hobby is definatly a labor of love.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:59 AM
Daholla77

I look at the team associated site and I fell in love with the SC8 red bull truck. I think that will be my first one. I will wait a year to save up for that one
Old 02-17-2009, 03:50 AM
K_B

Ah yes... forgot about those damn CORR trucks Nothing wrong with that. It's actually a cross between a buggy and a truggy. It has the RC8T (truggy) chassis with RC8 (buggy) drivetrain/suspension. Picked up a second-hand "Bully Dog" version myself as a roller for about half what they go for new. Can't wait for spring...
Old 02-17-2009, 10:17 AM
xjqkz

ORIGINAL: Big Derrick

... But I did tell her it is helluva lot cheaper than fixing up life size cars....
I don't know about that! this hobby is and can get really expensive real fast! with all the hopups, fuel, radio, electronics, tires, cleanup, maintenance, batteries and a lot more! not sure but maybe this hobby is even more expensive than street car racing

Old 02-17-2009, 12:39 PM
vnmsgt

ORIGINAL: xjqkz

... But I did tell her it is helluva lot cheaper than fixing up life size cars....
I don't know about that! this hobby is and can get really expensive real fast! with all the hopups, fuel, radio, electronics, tires, cleanup, maintenance, batteries and a lot more! not sure but maybe this hobby is even more expensive than street car racing

HA!! Now that I think about it, I think your right. I still have my mustang I used to street race and I do think I have been spending more money doing this then I ever did racing my car! LMAO!
Old 02-17-2009, 12:41 PM
bsparks

Not even close. just follow the link below and see how much street racing would cost, just the parts alone, not to mention the actual car itself.....
http://www.jegs.com/
Old 02-17-2009, 03:27 PM
slayerphonics

I was wondering which would be good for a beginner for nitro. Other rc cars I have had where radioshack electrics. I like the buggies because they are fast and remind me more of rally cars(Which is my favorite style of racing) but I have heard they are not that tough. But I like the truggy for the same reasons and they are tougher. I like the truggies and buggies because of their go anywhere style. I told my wife i was going to start this as a hobbie and she just shook her head. But I did tell her it is helluva lot cheaper than fixing up life size cars. I only have about 250 to spend for my first car. So what would be some good brands. I saw exceeds rc buggies for real cheap but seem to good to be true. I did like how they had alot of aluminum hop ups. I plan to replace most of the parts with aluminum ones. Thanks D
people say buggies are not as durable because they are harder to drive and people wreck them more and harder.

Old 02-17-2009, 03:28 PM
Daholla77

I am really into cars and I was planning on doing legit racing with a former car that I had. To get it track ready it was very expensive. To get a coil over suspension was about $1200 and that was to start. I am pretty sure there are no RC suspension that cost that much I could be mistaken. I think that full suspension with sway bars, differential, tires so and so on would have cost me about $5000 and that was before I even touched the engine.. You probably asking what stopped me Marriage and kids
Old 02-17-2009, 08:54 PM
tonydig11

I just went through the buggy or truggy thing myself. I went with the RC8 rtr. got it at tower on their easy pay plan. came to like 140 for three months. Have not raced it yet just broke it in. racng this saturday tho. 2.4ghz is on its way
Old 02-17-2009, 11:04 PM
Daholla77

how is traxxas?
Old 02-17-2009, 11:55 PM
rccheech

ORIGINAL: bsparks

Not even close. just follow the link below and see how much street racing would cost, just the parts alone, not to mention the actual car itself.....
http://www.jegs.com/
+1.....Had a 10 second 2001 Trans Am about 8 years ago, STILL paying things off!!!!!
Old 02-18-2009, 12:35 AM
Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: Daholla77

how is traxxas?
[:'(][:'(][:'(]
Old 02-18-2009, 12:41 AM
Hijikata

As far as the CEN Matrix goes, dont get the C-1 the new R2 is lighter and has more upgrades. Im not sure if they have released the RTR version yet. I own the Matrix C-1 the first Matrix RTR and I LOVE IT!!!! I have had problems but the problems I had were not because of poor machine work or manufacturing, it was because of my own stupidity. I jumped in to the RC hobby with this as my first car, its been quite a learning experience, and the guys on these boards and the forums on CENs site have been great help. right now the only problem im having is tuning my engine, but i royally screwed that up on my own. helps if you read the instructions :P

Direct from CENs site, here are the parts that come in the upgrade package to update the C-1 to the R2 specs

• MX244 New lightweight full throw caster blocks
• MX245 New lightweight upper suspension arms
• MX250 Newly designed front suspension arms
• MX264 New lightweight more durable wing mount
• MX267 New One piece composite ultra lightweight radio tray
• MX269 New lighter more effective dirt guards
• MX273 x 2 New Ultra Lightweight wide Buggy racing wheel
• MX261 New lightweight Rear Suspension arms
• MX263 Composite lightweight Chassis brace
• G36274 Turn Buckle R2
• MX240 R2 Upper Arm Mount

and there are all new lighter weight Diffs as well, definitely worth it to get the R2 if you decide to get a Matrix.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.