Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

leaking high speed needle

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 09:52 AM
maccauley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leaking high speed needle

I ran my Go 3R yesterday and noticed that my mixtures way of from the day before. I went to tune the engine and noticed fuel gather all around my high speed needle where the screw is. how do i fix this? or do i need a new carb? if i need a new carb should i go with an os carb? which os carb will fit? thank you for your time.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:54 AM
madmaxx1

Default RE: leaking high speed needle

you should be able to replace the O-ring's for the HSN
Old 04-20-2009, 09:58 AM
maccauley

should i just use the o rings for any go engine?
Old 04-20-2009, 10:08 AM
maccauley

i took the high speed needle out to check the o ring and you were right its destroyed. i did notice that there was a lot of dirt in my high speed needle sleeve, is this because of the o ring? i fear with all that dirt i may end up having to get a new engine.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:34 AM
madmaxx1

it was prolly sucking dirt in cuz the seals were bad, i'd take the carb off as a minimum to see the extent of the dirt.

you may have to clean the motor out?

i would try to find the specific O-ring's for your motor, i am not familiar with GO motor's, you may be able to use the O-ring's from another GO i don't know....
Old 04-20-2009, 11:55 AM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

You shouldnt have gotten much dirt in through the HSN. The HSN on my HPI S-.25 got loose and would spin in the housing as the buggy was running. I took some white teflon tape, and wrapped a thin layer around it, and it has been fine since that.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:04 PM
madmaxx1

better to be safe than sorry!

i'd hate to replace $5 O-ring's, fire up the motor and kill the sleeve/piston because i didn't spend a few minute's to give it a once over

this is just me though and i'm crazy [&:]
Old 04-20-2009, 04:13 PM
maccauley

yeah i am going to take the engine apart and check for dirt. it kinda angers me that this happened i have only had the engine for 3 months. i have talked to many people at various hobby stores and they all say that they have never heard of this happening especially on a engine thats only a few months old.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:06 AM
myrc

I have never driven a GO motor but I have read in this forum that they have carb problems.The high speed needle does not a should not let air in it only regulates how much fuel is in the carb when the throttle is open or in use.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:10 AM
maccauley

i am going to send my engine to EBmods because he is so close to where i live only an hour away. i want him to check a couple of different things for me and i trust that he knows what he is doing. plus he said he would put in better o rings and check my pinch, i think i lost some of the pinch when i broke it in cause i didn't really know what i was doing and the performance has gone down over the past few months, shouldn't it get better?
Old 04-21-2009, 11:34 AM
cummins driver

I would just run it till it dies. I dont think dirt would have gotten in around the HSN because the fuel is slightly pressurized, and it should just push fuel out, not pull dirt in.

Also, if your piston and sleeve is in bad shape, you are going to have to replace it. Why not run it until its completely dead and then replace it?

As for power. You shouldnt have a noticeable loss in power. You are going to get rid of some of the pinch during break in, since that is what break in is about. Your piston wears in to fit the sleeve. One thing you can do is to take the head off and remove the thickest head shim, or all of them but 1. That will bring back some power and compression. How many gallons are on the motor?
Old 04-21-2009, 01:30 PM
maccauley

i have about a gallon of fuel through the engine. i am running gen2 30% fuel. should i shim the head?
Old 04-21-2009, 02:12 PM
cummins driver

Im not sure when people normally pull head shims out. I have 1 1/2 gallon on my Axial .28 and its as strong as ever without pulling any shims. I figure around 3 or 4 gallons i will probably pull the big shims out to bring back any lost compression.