Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC 1/8th Scale Buggies
Reload this Page >

I am so torn and indecisive. Help me out

Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

I am so torn and indecisive. Help me out

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 07:35 PM
breezerboat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I am so torn and indecisive. Help me out

I have a RTR Ofna Picco. I have been racing it now for about 6 races. I really like racing. I really want to get a high end buggy. However, I am not really sure it is going to make me any faster, or cause fewer parts to break. What is your take. Will buying a Mugen Mspec buggy make me faster? and second will I have fewer broken parts? I am having fun with my Ofna and am just as fast as the rest of my "sportsman" class.

I see all the guys with high end buggy's fixing things all the time too. So I am thinking I will still be fixing stuff all the time.

Help me out here.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:58 PM
K_B

Default RE: I am so torn and indecisive. Help me out

Breakage is a part of racing. With going fast and pushing yourself comes the greater risk of spectacular crashes. Durability is directly proportional to your driving ability. If you can keep it shiny side up most of the time, repairs won't be much of an issue usually.

The Mugen is lighter and more nimble than the Picco, so in theory, you should be able to go faster. But realistically, the only thing that makes you go faster is a proper setup, practice and natural ability; in that order.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:55 AM
lez1troubles

Practice-practice and more practice. A high end engine will only help if you can control it otherwise an engine thats TO fast will actualy slow you down and cause more trouble as in breakages.Practice-practice and then just a little more PRACTICE.[>:]
Old 10-07-2009, 08:58 AM
lez1troubles

Try PRACTICING with a Kyosho MP777. Thats one heck of a sturdy buggy.TOP quallity that can tack even the hardest nocks and come back for more, but it also helps if you can keep your wheels where they should be.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:12 AM
breezerboat

I actually do practice. I just feel like I have the cheapest buggy out at the track and was wondering if I would actually benefit from having a nicer buggy. I actually feel I wouldn't get better, but would just "feel better".
Old 10-07-2009, 09:22 AM
lez1troubles

Breezerboat, do yourself a favour and go get yourself a Kyosho MP7.5, put in a chassis brace up front and front/rear stablisers. You'll have a good top of the line buggy that'll last for the next 20 years and nowdays you can get them pretty cheap. It already is the top number one race weapon. Has been for donkeys years and still will be in the future. Its the buggy everyone else is copying.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:36 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Tough decisions are often a battle between your gut and your head. Always go with your gut..

Not exactly clear which side the Mugen is on in your case.. But if it's on the gut side, get it..

Setup is massively important..

But in truggies, I had a Hyper ST Pro, and went to an Associated RC8T - and was immediately faster...

I agree too that breakage is part of it all.. Therefore part price and availability are pretty important things to consider..

(ps RC8B!!... [8D] )
Old 11-01-2009, 12:19 AM
johndavis

i agree with the practice, practice saying it is true. im new i need to practice and im not ready to race yet but im getting there. i was at the track the other day a guy that races the same class i will be racing in was there. he has a losi buggy i got a ofna ultra one lx his is much fastere than mine. he almost laped me in 4 laps. we changed buggies i drove his he drove mine he still almost laped me in 4 laps. so that tells me i need to learn more. he did show me some things i was doing wrong. but he did say to keep on practicing and i will be running with him soon.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:07 AM
breezerboat

Well, I got the Mugen MBX6. It's not quite all put together yet. I should have her running in a day or so. I will report back after my first race. I am sure there are others that woul like to know if a high end buggy helps in performance at a race.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:05 PM
rccheech

Wheel time will make you faster, remember one thing at the track, SLOW IS FAST, AND FINESSE IS THE NAME OF THE GAME, you will naturally pick up pace as you get better and fimiliar with the track and buggy, when you start losing a considerable amount of time on your timesheet, start thinking of a higher end buggy, with that picco buggy your starting out smart IMO. I don't care what buggy you have, you will always be correcting something in the pits.