Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

FUEL or Electric??

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 11:38 AM
FoamyVictim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: FUEL or Electric??

To each, his own...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sj0KT5OdxgI&feature=rec-fresh+div-r-3-HM[/youtube]
Old 12-06-2009, 11:50 AM
studysession

Nice video -
Old 12-06-2009, 12:49 PM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all I know is Integra's Tekin on 4S in a 8B 2.0 gets hauled by my Jammin 21 in a measly Turmoil Pro.....The Nitro's faster then a 4S Buggy, much faster !
Old 12-06-2009, 11:25 PM
FoamyVictim

ORIGINAL: supertib

all I know is Integra's Tekin on 4S in a 8B 2.0 gets hauled by my Jammin 21 in a measly Turmoil Pro.....The Nitro's faster then a 4S Buggy, much faster !
Yeah, and I bet if you let a chimpanzee drove that nitro, I could beat it with my 4S 8ight E... Skill; you must have it to drive 8th scales fast.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:07 AM
studysession

Let's not just bash each others driving please. This subject is all matter of opinion on what you prefer and nothing more.

If you like nitro and have fun great. If you like electric and have fun then great. This hobby is about having fun, and if you are ghaving fun then you are succeeding at the hobby then good for you.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:13 AM
supertib

ORIGINAL: FoamyVictim

ORIGINAL: supertib

Yeah, and I bet if you let a chimpanzee drove that nitro, I could beat it with my 4S 8ight E... Skill; you must have it to drive 8th scales fast.

LOL !!! I am a hairy bugger ya know !
Old 12-07-2009, 04:02 AM
lez1troubles

I have both, nitro and electro(brushed), I like the nitro because I like the smell and noise. Ilike the electro because I can drive around the parking lot at work and my boss dont complain. As for charging the batteries, dont you guys with the brushless motors have quick chargers???10 minutes to charge a battery aint long if you ask me.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:14 AM
lez1troubles

if you consider that a brushless electro motor does about 60.000rpm then yes compaired to nitro +/-35.000rpm its easy to see that bl systems are going to be ALOT faster that nitro, no matter though so long as your having fun.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:57 AM
FoamyVictim

ORIGINAL: lez1troubles

I have both, nitro and electro(brushed), I like the nitro because I like the smell and noise. Ilike the electro because I can drive around the parking lot at work and my boss dont complain. As for charging the batteries, dont you guys with the brushless motors have quick chargers???10 minutes to charge a battery aint long if you ask me.
Well, I try to charge my lipos at no more than 1C. That means it can take up to an hour to charge(I always balance charge my packs, but they only take about 30 minutes to charge fast). Considering I have enough battery to drive for about 45 minutes straight, that's fine! I'd be BORED before I ran out of power.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:57 AM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

Yeah I watched the whole video. I keep hearing how BL is so much faster than nitro, but yet in the back straight, or in a drag race(which is where the power actually shows up), I havent really seen a brushless do much to impress me. Nothing a good nitro couldnt do.
I wish you lived closer than Ky, I'd LOVE to demonstrate for you.
Why didnt you do it in the video? I wouldnt be scared a bit to run my buggy against your buggy. Even if it was faster, you probably have $300 more in it than me.... Since id be running my $35 Associated .28 engine. Better charge your batteries before you come though, because we will be out in a field somewhere probably

Easier to ''deal with'' ? What does that mean?
It means that while you have a starter box, fuel bottle, glow driver, glow plugs, air filters, tuning, clutch shoes, clutch bearings, clutch springs, fuel tanks, fuel lines, and all sorts of air leaks that occur in a nitro motor... we have to charge a battery. So while you're messing around with all that(and I'm sure you have fun with it) I chill and wait for the next race. While the nitro guys are tuning engines, and looking for pit men, I have a slice of pizza, and relax. While you have to scramble to get ready for a race, make sure the car warms up and stays running, etc... I casually drop my car on the track, and walk up on the driver's stand. That makes my BL cars, Easier to Deal With
Starter box? Never owned one and dont plan to. A pull start is just fine and requires nothing but a hand. I always carry 2 of those with me. You make all that stuff out to be a big deal. None of that stuff is a problem if you know how to do some maintenance every now and again. I hardly ever go through glow plugs. My glow igniter holds a charge forever, and none of that stuff is a big problem at all. It is something to keep an eye on, but that is it. I didnt know the best part of the hobby was eating pizza and waiting around in your lounge chair for batteries to charge. I always liked running and tinkering with my stuff. Guess thats the difference though. Electric guys like the ease of use, nitro guys like tuning and tinkering.

I have already told you electrics have advantages. You just keep stating that they are "superior" though, and they arent. period.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:03 PM
cummins driver

ORIGINAL: mister-e-meat
wow where did you get a nitro that has electronics that dont use batteries im sure there are alot of people out there that would love that?

Where did i say that? Obviously they have reciever batteries, but they are cheap, and last for a long time on a good charge. Quite different from having a batter to actually run the motor.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:30 PM
FoamyVictim

ORIGINAL: cummins driver

Yeah I watched the whole video. I keep hearing how BL is so much faster than nitro, but yet in the back straight, or in a drag race(which is where the power actually shows up), I havent really seen a brushless do much to impress me. Nothing a good nitro couldnt do.
I wish you lived closer than Ky, I'd LOVE to demonstrate for you.
Why didnt you do it in the video? I wouldnt be scared a bit to run my buggy against your buggy. Even if it was faster, you probably have $300 more in it than me.... Since id be running my $35 Associated .28 engine. Better charge your batteries before you come though, because we will be out in a field somewhere probably

Easier to ''deal with'' ? What does that mean?
It means that while you have a starter box, fuel bottle, glow driver, glow plugs, air filters, tuning, clutch shoes, clutch bearings, clutch springs, fuel tanks, fuel lines, and all sorts of air leaks that occur in a nitro motor... we have to charge a battery. So while you're messing around with all that(and I'm sure you have fun with it) I chill and wait for the next race. While the nitro guys are tuning engines, and looking for pit men, I have a slice of pizza, and relax. While you have to scramble to get ready for a race, make sure the car warms up and stays running, etc... I casually drop my car on the track, and walk up on the driver's stand. That makes my BL cars, Easier to Deal With
Starter box? Never owned one and dont plan to. A pull start is just fine and requires nothing but a hand. I always carry 2 of those with me. You make all that stuff out to be a big deal. None of that stuff is a problem if you know how to do some maintenance every now and again. I hardly ever go through glow plugs. My glow igniter holds a charge forever, and none of that stuff is a big problem at all. It is something to keep an eye on, but that is it. I didnt know the best part of the hobby was eating pizza and waiting around in your lounge chair for batteries to charge. I always liked running and tinkering with my stuff. Guess thats the difference though. Electric guys like the ease of use, nitro guys like tuning and tinkering.

I have already told you electrics have advantages. You just keep stating that they are ''superior'' though, and they arent. period.
Why didn't I just pass the guy on the straight?... Did you read the post? I wanted somebody to RACE! It's boring to just make laps, that's too easy. I'm not a basher, so just driving the car gets old... fast. I'm in it to RACE, and a RACE involves competition. Plus, running clean laps near the slower guys, makes them faster. I want the local drivers to enjoy the race as much as I do, getting better while doing it. SMOKING them and LAPPING them several times does NOT do that.

Ah, so you're a basher, not a racer? That explains allot. You aren't interested in competition, you want to fantasize about racing a real car. That's cool, you keep infusing lots of $$ into the hobby(I hope you buy your fuel from your LHS, as I'm certain a LHS owner would appreciate the business). You have to continually buy fuel. I bought a battery over a year ago, still going strong. My battery cost the same as 2 gallons of fuel. Can you make 2 gallons of fuel last a year? No, nitro is NOT cheaper. Saying that you spent $35 on a nitro engine doesn't mean its cheaper to go nitro either. It just means you got lucky and found a good deal.

There's nothing lucky, tricky, or expensive about BL power. It's CHEAPER, reliable, and MORE POWERFUL. This usually sells anybody looking at both options. Goes something like this "Hmm, you mean I can break in, tune and maintain that tune on a slower nitro motor, leading to clutch, air filter, and all sorts of maintenance issues, while buying gallons of fuel at near $30 a pop... OR.... I can buy a much faster BL system, and a battery ONCE, then play for a year?" Tough choice... [>:]

As for starter boxes, man you must have a REAL PASSION for nitro. I had one pull started engine... ONE. Never again would I subject myself to that head ache. If it's not "right" you can wear the skin right off your knuckles before you figure it out. Even a simple flooding can lead to some pretty big sores, and then you get nitro fuel in it! HA! Have fun with it man, I couldn't tolerate that head ache!

I raced nitro pretty much exclusively for a couple years. I had my fill. Once BL and lipo became available, there was simply no excuse to NOT upgrade to the latest and greatest. My hobby isn't sitting around and twidling my thumbs while the nitro guys tune and tinker with their cars. My hobby is RACING. I want the fastest, most reliable race rig, with the least time spent "tinkering" with it. Once I have my setup, and tire choice down, I'm focused on competition.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:06 PM
cummins driver

Why didn't I just pass the guy on the straight?... Did you read the post? I wanted somebody to RACE! It's boring to just make laps, that's too easy. I'm not a basher, so just driving the car gets old... fast. I'm in it to RACE, and a RACE involves competition. Plus, running clean laps near the slower guys, makes them faster. I want the local drivers to enjoy the race as much as I do, getting better while doing it. SMOKING them and LAPPING them several times does NOT do that.
Yeah, you already told me, but i dont believe you because you did run by yourself after you finally got ahead after the first couple laps.

ORIGINAL: FoamyVictimAh, so you're a basher, not a racer? That explains allot. You aren't interested in competition, you want to fantasize about racing a real car. That's cool, you keep infusing lots of $$ into the hobby(I hope you buy your fuel from your LHS, as I'm certain a LHS owner would appreciate the business). You have to continually buy fuel. I bought a battery over a year ago, still going strong. My battery cost the same as 2 gallons of fuel. Can you make 2 gallons of fuel last a year? No, nitro is NOT cheaper. Saying that you spent $35 on a nitro engine doesn't mean its cheaper to go nitro either. It just means you got lucky and found a good deal.
Not interested in competition? lol I am into real diesel truck pulling and drag racing. This is my fun hobby in the off season. Not to mention i dont need to drive 20 miles to my LHS to have a groomed track to run on. I have a skid steer and 60 acres, ill make my own track if i want to race. So, you only have 1 battery? It must be crappy running for 20-30 minutes, and then waiting an hour for it to charge. I might be paying a little more for fuel, but it is much more convenient than trying to charge batteries all the time for me. You also didnt include the price of the charger. And yeah, i buy fuel from a LHS, but i dont imagine the 8-10 gallons or so i buy a year are going to keep them in business.

ORIGINAL: FoamyVictim There's nothing lucky, tricky, or expensive about BL power. It's CHEAPER, reliable, and MORE POWERFUL. This usually sells anybody looking at both options. Goes something like this ''Hmm, you mean I can break in, tune and maintain that tune on a slower nitro motor, leading to clutch, air filter, and all sorts of maintenance issues, while buying gallons of fuel at near $30 a pop... OR.... I can buy a much faster BL system, and a battery ONCE, then play for a year?'' Tough choice... [>:]
Nothing expensive about brushless power? Please.... $300 for the system, plus batteries and charger, and the vehicle. A $150 nitro engine will provide all kinds of fun and be plenty strong for most people. All sorts of maintenance issues? I havent had anything at all that wasnt normal wear and tear for any r/c vehicle.

ORIGINAL: FoamyVictim As for starter boxes, man you must have a REAL PASSION for nitro. I had one pull started engine... ONE. Never again would I subject myself to that head ache. If it's not ''right'' you can wear the skin right off your knuckles before you figure it out. Even a simple flooding can lead to some pretty big sores, and then you get nitro fuel in it! HA! Have fun with it man, I couldn't tolerate that head ache!
So, if im reading this correctly, you couldnt handle the tuning and running a nitro engine? My Axial starts within 5-8 pulls almost every time. If an engine is properly primed, and tuned good it will fire right up. Some people have an extremely hard time with running a nitro because they dont understand engines, or dont know how to tune. If you wear blisters on your fingers with a pull start, you have problems somewhere.

ORIGINAL: FoamyVictim I raced nitro pretty much exclusively for a couple years. I had my fill. Once BL and lipo became available, there was simply no excuse to NOT upgrade to the latest and greatest. My hobby isn't sitting around and twidling my thumbs while the nitro guys tune and tinker with their cars. My hobby is RACING. I want the fastest, most reliable race rig, with the least time spent ''tinkering'' with it. Once I have my setup, and tire choice down, I'm focused on competition.
Im not into the supposed "latest and greatest", I just run what i have the most fun with, which happens to be nitro. Even if i raced it would be a nitro, so it makes no difference.

And here is a video of me starting and running my Axial .28 in my savage from dead cold.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQP4R61R8oQ
Old 12-07-2009, 01:41 PM
FoamyVictim

Yeah, you already told me, but i dont believe you because you did run by yourself after you finally got ahead after the first couple laps.
You asked why I didn't just pass him in the beginning, and I answered. It's just TOO EASY to beat a nitro with pure speed.

Not interested in competition? lol I am into real diesel truck pulling and drag racing.
So when you compete, do you use the latest and greatest or doggedly stick to what makes a cool sound?

So, you only have 1 battery? It must be crappy running for 20-30 minutes, and then waiting an hour for it to charge.
Nope, I have 2 that will run by them selves, and 6 more that I can combine in pairs. All in all, I could run my 8ight E for about 2 hours before recharging my first battery. None of my races last longer than 15 minutes, so I don't want or need more. Bashing is BORING, I race. If all you want to do it drive in circles in your big yard, it's no wonder you need sounds to keep you happy, hardly any stimulus otherwise.

I might be paying a little more for fuel, but it is much more convenient than trying to charge batteries all the time for me.
Wait a minute... didn't you say Nitro is cheaper?

Even if it was faster, you probably have $300 more in it than me.... Since id be running my $35 Associated .28 engine.
Yeah... you did. You were wrong then, and you're wrong now. Nitro is NOT cheaper.

You also didnt include the price of the charger.
You don't need a charger for the receiver pack in your nitro?... that's amazing! I want an endless battery that never needs charging...

And yeah, i buy fuel from a LHS, but i dont imagine the 8-10 gallons or so i buy a year are going to keep them in business.
Dude, 8-10 gallons. That's $240-$300... I spent $65... ONCE! Looks like Nitro is getting more expensive the longer this thread goes on. Add in clutch shoes, bearings, fuel lines, glow plugs, etc... and the cost of nitro goes even higher!

So, if im reading this correctly, you couldnt handle the tuning and running a nitro engine?
Actually, I can, and have. I just got tired of fooling around with them, when I could spend more time practicing and improving my driving skills. I flew nitro planes for several years before driving my first nitro powered RC car. I'm actually STILL one of the "Go-to" guys around the track when somebody has a nitro tuning issue they can't resolve.

Im not into the supposed "latest and greatest", I just run what i have the most fun with, which happens to be nitro. Even if i raced it would be a nitro, so it makes no difference
And that's cool; its what a hobby is supposed to be. But when you try to say your nitro is better than my BL powered car... you'll get a battle of words!

And here is a video of me starting and running my Axial .28 in my savage from dead cold.
Love how it fires, then stalls, and needs to be restarted. Here's how my BL car starts. I just drop it on the track and casually walk up onto the driver's stand. I even lost my body half way through the race. Suddenly the car is in STEALTH MODE! I could hardly see it, neither could half the racers... [&:] The winner lapped me a few times... with his BL powered car. The nitro guys got WHOOPED! [8D] What's funny, is they started a post on their local forum. They started by BRAGGING about a 4 second pit stop for a nitro, then WHINED about us BL guys rolling through the pits for almost 6!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aSaHipg7Zg[/youtube]

I've gotta say it again. To each his own, and I thoroughly enjoy mine!
Old 12-07-2009, 02:02 PM
cummins driver

Im just gonna skip most of your post since we went over most of it already. But, to clear it up, I never said nitro was better. Only that electric was not superior either. They obviously both have advantages, and one or the other may suit the other person better. As for saying bashing is boring, you are wrong. I dont normally drive in the yard, but since i dont have anyone to video, I do every now and then. Hill climbing, running on dirt, and playing on dirt piles are a blast to me.

As for the engine dying, if i had let it warm up first, it would have been fine. I tried to gas it cold. Regardless it still started in under 10 pulls and ran reliable the whole time.

I think this is just going to have to come down to agreeing to disagree since electric is better for you, and nitro is better for me. I enjoy tuning, maintenance, and realism, and you like ease of use and instant power. Cost is gonna be about the same in the end, so i think that is a moot point. Drive what you like, and enjoy it!
Old 12-08-2009, 08:00 PM
nitroman88
My Feedback: (5)

Nascar BL style "drivers start your switches" "drivers flip your switches" "drivers turn on your power supplies" pit crews light up a fat one and chill awhile this is gunna be a long race.

you two are at eachothers throats now and ego is starting to come into play
Old 12-08-2009, 09:03 PM
Anomie

ORIGINAL: nitroman88

Yes, true - but still a good debate.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:09 PM
cummins driver

All in good fun. I like a good debate myself[8D]
Old 12-09-2009, 10:14 AM
The_Shark

i like brushless touring cars and cars, trucks and buggies <1/10. I think that prototype (flat 1/8 racing) cars, big trucks and buggies are better in nitro form.

ive ran both, like both and would buy both, but having nitro is much better for flexibility say "i want to practice all day!" or "im going to just bash around in that dirt over there" all you have to do is gas and go. for brushless you would need alot of very pricey lipos or wait for that batt to charge. i mean nitro fuel is big money, but batts cost alot too initially.

would i buy a brushless 1/8 buggy? yes (if i could afford it) would i rather buy a nitro buggy with a good engine? most likley.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:49 AM
FoamyVictim

i mean nitro fuel is big money, but batts cost alot too initially.
2 gallons of fuel is close to the same price as a battery that will run an 8th buggy for about 20 minutes... over and over... for over a year.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...0C_Lipoly_Pack

Sure, we are passionate about our hobby. But in the debate, I'm certain that the folks reading it got some valuable info. It was worth it, no hard feelings. [8D]
Old 12-26-2009, 05:16 AM
hydroboy
My Feedback: (1)

BOTH ROCK, BOTH ARE FUN, BOTH CAN RACE AS THERE ARE A BUNCH OF CLASSES TO DO SO!!!

Words like "superior" or even "inferior" have no place in a debate where the topic of discussion are completely different. I'm currently amazed at my newly built RC8e/Tekin powered buggy and its capabilities, but I totally get the boring statements as my sc10 which I thought was the bomb (also BL) just sits until the RC8e is charging as it seems boring when compared to the 8 which by the way sits when I want to really put a smile on my face sits while I bash around with my Picco powered Savage brick!! Everytime I fire that firebreather up I'm reminded why I wanted to get into this hobby.

Bottom line I run whatever whenever because as Tib pointed out it's whatever makes you happy!

Old 01-07-2010, 02:28 AM
hakmazter

Interesting debate for sure....

Nitro. Great noise, more realistic for racing or bashing, alot more maintenance and cleaning.

Electric. usually quicker acceleration, definitely capable of higher top speeds, ease of maintenance in the pits.

As for which is faster on a track. It depends on the equipment and the track. I have seen it go both ways multiple times but usually it appears that the electrics are faster until you look at the final results

You can buy a cheap rtr motor that is nitro or electric and you can buy a top of the line system either way also.

Electric is far easier for a new person to deal with, but realistically, both need lessons and precaution.

Learning nitro, you need to know how to tune a motor and the conditions constantly change. Learning lipo, you need to know the proper procedures of charging batteries.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:00 PM
KyJoe340

First of all I like and own both, nitro and brushless bugs. The pure and simple truth is that electric power has surpassed nitro power. Right now there is only a narrow margin between the two but the gap grows wider every day. A nitro motor is a mechanical thing, we've got about all the power we can out of it. For electric power it's the tip of the iceberg. Batteries keep getting lighter with more power and run time. Brushless motors will get smaller and more powerful. There is more adjustability and fine tuning available with a brushless motor and ESC compared to a nitro, this is a fact that is overlooked by most. Electric is faster, more dependable and more tunable. I will always love my nitro but the future belongs to electric, like it or not.

Foamy,
You're a racer, Cummins is a pullstart, climbing on dirtpiles basher. You guys are just different. But honestly Cummins, you got alot of your facts wrong.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:37 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Own Nitro, brushed, and brushless.

My brushless buggy is pretty much uncontrollable, I've yet to get it to full speed even seeing its still in testing phase. And before anyone bash's me saying I dunno how to drive the ground was a tad bit damp seeing it was the 1st day I've seen the sidewalk in 2 weeks.

My brushed buggy very stable (more of a truggy now) only reason I bought and built it was so I had something to run in the winter months in the cold, snow, and water (its completely waterproof).

Nitro I love during the warmer months seeing I can run it as long as I have fuel on hand without worrying about having to recharge damn infernal batteries. I also love the tinkering aspect and the sound that just draws attention.

Personally I like nitro WAYYYY more than electric. I own more elecs tough, and put more money into elecs also trying to find one that gives me the joy that I get with my nitro's. Sad part is the cheapest one in the group of elecs my Tamiya is the one I'm happiest with so far.
Old 01-15-2010, 04:49 AM
kurtf5

To me its not about speed, therefore the speed arguement about nitro and elec doesnt count imo.
I enjoy tuning my nitro engines, experiment with different % of fuels/glowplugs etc etc. So i like nitro best. Plus it draws a lot of attention and people enjoy watching it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.