Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

oval questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 12:27 PM
burgster
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oval questions

I want to get into 1/8 nitro oval racing and am looking to have a few questions answered. What are main differences of the OFNA late model and the hyper sprint? Are there any differences in the hyper sprint rtr vs. the hyper sprint kit? I am on somewhat of a budget, but are there any other brands of 1/8 nitro oval racers out there besides Losi? What is a decent motor for oval racing .21-.28? I appreciate any other info you guys can give me.

Thanks
Jeff
Old 11-29-2009, 04:28 PM
firebird78

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: oval questions

I know a few racers that run the .21 dynamite mach 2 and do pretty well with em....with that said I dont think anyone at the track is running any really massive powerhouses..they alotta guys on a budget...your area may be different
Old 11-29-2009, 07:01 PM
rclynx

ORIGINAL: burgster

I want to get into 1/8 nitro oval racing and am looking to have a few questions answered. What are main differences of the OFNA late model and the hyper sprint? Are there any differences in the hyper sprint rtr vs. the hyper sprint kit? I am on somewhat of a budget, but are there any other brands of 1/8 nitro oval racers out there besides Losi? What is a decent motor for oval racing .21-.28? I appreciate any other info you guys can give me.

Thanks
Jeff
If your on a budget it makes it tough for you to buy any buggy and compete. Can take some deep pockets some times [:@] If you have never raced Ovals before just get what you can afford, a good set of different tension springs for all four sides a good mix of different weight shock oils and differential oils some good tools for the buggy you buy and have some fun. Ovals are a lot of trial and error and if your racing in a club chances are the guys will help you as much as possible. Its all set up and driving technique so don't plan on going out there and winning right off the bat. Matter of fact plan on following the pack for a while till you catch on before you start moving up to or into the pack. When you get good its all about staying in the front most of the time but till then be patient .......... Good Luck and HAPPY RC'en
Old 11-30-2009, 11:20 AM
burgster
My Feedback: (2)

Its not super popular around me from what I am told. There is some interest but not really any tracks. My brother-in-law and I are going to build a track. We have some heavy equipment and some acerage to fool around with. Our thought is "if you build it they will come". I am just trying to get info on the chassis available. I know that racing anything gets expensive, but I am trying to get something started and it is difficult to get new people involved if they have to spend $1500.00. It seems that the OFNA offerings are a cheaper way to get into the sport. There are a lot of chassis offered and not a ton of info. For someone new the waters are real muddy. I just want to know is the hyper sprint a descent platform, or would we better of going with the late model. From what I have read, the sprint needs to be totally reworked to make it competetive, is this true? If there are guys around that have off-road buggies can they make there chassis competative with the late model chassis on an oval?

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 11-30-2009, 02:16 PM
K_B

Both the late model and the sprint are basically a buggy chassis, but with shorter shocks. I think the Sprint probably even uses standard buggy shocks. So anybody with a buggy can tweak it to get to run on an oval and keep up. The late model and sprint both retain the same wheelbase as a standard buggy, so with some creative trimming to clear the taller shocks, you could mount the late model body on just about any buggy. The Sprint body could also be adapted to work I imagine, but it would take much more work from the looks of it.

A couple guys by me run dirt oval and one of them mentioned the same thing; some experimentation is required - especially with the diff oils - to get the thing to handle proper. The other guy just ran his Mugen MBX6 buggy as-is and could keep up just fine.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:43 PM
frizzlefry99

i have both cars the DO Pro is based off the ultra lx buggy and the sprint is based off the hyper 8.5 and both are pretty much buggies but the main differences in the oval cars versus the buggys is the latemodel car has a spool in the center not a diff. and shortr shocks. the sprint is just a buggy with a cage on it. I run RB .21's in them both and hand out some woopins. good luck on our choice. btw ofna is great cuz parts are cheap too.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:34 AM
tlandon
My Feedback: (15)

I just bought the OFNA Late Model Dirt Oval Kit. Put a Dynamite Big Red .28 Pull Start engine on it and High Torque Digital Servos. The thing is a rocket and handles very well on a dirt oval. Will be racing it for the first time this weekend. The car was $260, the engine was like $129 and the servos I already had from my airplanes. Its way better than the standard buggy I used to race. I like sprint cars, but the late model class is bigger where I race. I highly recommend the OFNA Late Model.
Old 03-12-2018, 09:26 AM
Nitro boater

Default 1.8 nitro sprint cars

Guys where can i get plans or suspension ideas??????