Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC 1/8th Scale Buggies
Reload this Page >

Oh Boy! What on Earth is this Ofna 1/8 Buggy?

Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Oh Boy! What on Earth is this Ofna 1/8 Buggy?

Old 12-01-2009, 08:41 PM
mrrudog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oh Boy! What on Earth is this Ofna 1/8 Buggy?

Oh boy. here we go.I recently an Ofna 1/8 Buggy (rolling chassis) from a guy and have no idea what model it is. I felt I got a good deal on it, but I don't know much about it.
What size, make motor would ya recommend. I have several radio sets to choose from. If I wanted to convert to electric, do they make kits for that? Because at this point I'm not sure if I will nitro it or otherwise. I just want it to ROCK!
Any help would be awesome.
Thanks guys,
Rudog.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99384.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	1324665   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31766.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	1324666   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd83800.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	1324667  
Old 12-01-2009, 09:01 PM
TurboBimmer

Default RE: Oh Boy! What on Earth is this Ofna 1/8 Buggy?

No offense, but if that is the old Ofna Ultra model, is JUNK! Back days when the MP-5 was new in the market and I had it, my friends had these Ultra's and always the parts were breaking, the metal pieces are jsut crapp, they wear out so fast!

That car is OK for bashing or palyin garround of corse, nothing else.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:01 PM
firebird78

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

isnt that a 7 pbs?...
Old 12-01-2009, 09:26 PM
nitroman88
My Feedback: (5)

that looks like an ultra mbx r2 its old school I used to own one, not sure if thats right but its the ultra series for sure.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:28 AM
Hoese37

Ofna Ultra MBX
Old 12-02-2009, 02:53 PM
diesel2111

I'm new to nitro. Just got my first one off craigs list but now I feel dumb because it ultra lx pro and u guys are saying it's junk. Well The box says LX pro rtr but the insides look like that. For a 100 did I get ripped? I can tell buy the radio it's a few years old.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:13 PM
mgtwpicco27

Hey Deisel2111, I have the ofna ultra lx 1, it is not junk. Take a quick look at some of these things and see if you have them. Is your spur gear, the one that is touching the clutch bell on the motor, metal? Are your shocks threaded, meaning, do the shocks have threads on the outside so that you can turn the adjustment ring on the outside? This allows you to raise and lower your ride height quickly and easily. Also look at your servos and tell me what kind they are. The ofna lx 1 sells for $280.00 and if you got it for 100.00 that is not a rip off. Even if it needs a motor. You could replace the piston and sleeve on most motors for around 60 to 80 dollars. What sort of tires are on it? Does it have any aftermarket braces? Is it the original engine or has it been changed? If you can post some pictures I can try to tell you more about it. Good quality close up pictures of the motor, tires, shocks, any gears you can see, servos etc... The lx1 is actually a pretty good buggy. Check out this thread in RCU http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6702277/tm.htm
Old 12-02-2009, 07:45 PM
mrrudog

Hopefully the $100 i spent won't be a bad purchase. I got a TQ 3 tx and rx and 2 servos with it. After readin mgtwpicco's response, I looked at mine, it has a steel gear, aluminum shocks, but not threaded. HiTEC HS645MG, (high torque) steering servo and HiTEC HS 311 throttle servo (standard).panther tires,  new fuel tank and a few other odds and ends.
I do appreciate you folks input. All my rc's are for bashin/ backyard trashin.......nowhere near enough experience (or patienc,,lol) to race, so it looks like mine will do its job (when and if I get it done).
Old 12-02-2009, 08:26 PM
mgtwpicco27

Yeah that servo is the equivalent to the futaba s3305 but with 9 oz more torque. I use that in all of my cars, it is about 35.00. You don't have a motor so you can get what you want, the axial .28 is a bad ass motor for the price. Don't get talked in to a starter box, way too much hassle and money if you're not racing. If you're careful and don't break your pull cord, it will last a long time. I don't know about the panther tires because I don't use them but the pin type style I see on tower for buggies are 23.00 a set. So that is 50.00 worth of track tires. If you're gonna bash, then get a cheap motor like the axial for 120.00 http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXPDU9&P=ML and use what you have for radio and the tires, servos, shocks etc... And if you take it all apart and change shock oils and diff fluid and clean it up, it will probably run great and be a good basher.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:42 PM
firebird78

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just enjoy the buggy....if you find its breaking to much or not quite what ya expected get something different....if the servos, radio, engine and pipe arent what ya want buy what ya like....you can always pull them off that buggy and throw em on something else...
Old 12-02-2009, 10:53 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

I just bought and recieved a set of these for my new buggy that should be here friday or saturday. I had them on my old buggy, and they are awesome tires for the $$, especially for a basher:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NIB-Big-Blocks-W...item2ea80cafc0

I think most 1/8 ofna vehicles are pretty good, so i dont think you went wrong with it. A little work, and it should be a lot of fun