Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC 1/8th Scale Buggies
Reload this Page >

Nitro buggy + Snow = Good or Bad idea??

Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Nitro buggy + Snow = Good or Bad idea??

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 02:03 AM
big_poppa49

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitro buggy + Snow = Good or Bad idea??

Ok. Im still new to nitro but I am curious. I think we will have a pretty bad winter around here, which means maybe some snow. Is it ok to run my Losi 8ight buggy in the snow?? If it is ok, any certain precautions to take when doing so? What about the air filter??

Oh and my electronics are JR servo for steering, HiTec 7995TG servo for throttle, and Spektrum Rx.

Not sure about the rest, but my HiTec servo on the instructions said it was "water resistant"
Old 12-21-2009, 05:38 AM
K_B

Default RE: Nitro buggy + Snow = Good or Bad idea??

You can run it in the snow, but if you don't tear it down and dry everything out and lube everything, it'll rust and bearings will seize up. Running in snow and making sure everything stays rust-free is a huge pain in the butt. I don't suggest it.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:22 AM
lez1troubles

hey Dude, over here in Belgium it's been snowing for almost a week non stop, it also dont stop us from driving our buggies around in the snow of on the lakes. You will however need some serius driving skills to stay under control.
You could use a finger full of thick grease around the top of your servos and a little bit of silicon to fill any holes in the radio tray(box).
Make spike tyres from an old set of tyres by screwing some wood screws through the inside to the out side and gluing them.
Use duck tape to close the body around the chassis, and dont forget to close the holes under the chassis.
Wear lots of clothing and go have fun in the snow.
P.S
dont forget to oil your air filter and take spare batteries with you as your reciever and transmitter batteries will not like the cold and will probably only last a couple of hours.
ENJOY THE SNOW WILL IT4S THERE, BY THE TIME IT4S SUMMER YOU4LL ALL BE COMPLAINING THAT IT4S TO HOT TO GO OUT AND PLAY WITH YOUR BUGGY.[&:]
Old 12-21-2009, 06:25 AM
lez1troubles

you could also just spray WD40 all over the buggy and slap on the wildest off road tyres that you can find.[>:]
Old 12-21-2009, 08:59 AM
lez1troubles

almost forgot, dont forget to put your reciever and battery pack inside of a rubber balloon and zip tie them closed. You could also use liquide rubber to water proof servo's/reciever and battery packs.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:30 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

Yep, you can run in the snow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G841zfX6YEA

I havent gotten to run mine in the snow yet, but im ready for it if we get any. [8D]
Old 12-22-2009, 12:35 AM
Lurp06x

I'm planning on running mine in the snow its been snowing here for a while an its not going anywhere for a few months either.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:27 AM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lucky for me we have a indoor track, but its not heated[]
i only run crap cars in the snow/rain my Ravager is not a crap car so it will stay inside.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:41 AM
cummins driver

Snow and rain wont hurt anything, you just need to do some cleaning afterwards and use a little WD40 on your bearings.
Old 12-23-2009, 12:41 AM
Dokioto

Snow is fuuun. I remember way back when my father had a T-Max with paddle tires and just ran across the yard which had 4+ feet of snow, good times.

After a run just let it air dry for a bit in the garage and then go out and hose it off with an air-compressor. Just like everyone has been saying finish it off with WD40.
Old 12-23-2009, 11:53 AM
Tjettzky

There is only one good way to find out...Run it and see what happens
Old 12-23-2009, 08:05 PM
The_Shark

ORIGINAL: Tjettzky

There is only one good way to find out...Run it and see what happens
i wouldnt call it a GOOD way

ive ran in the snow, but i dried that sucker and lubed all the bearings, but it was just a $100 duratrax evader. seemed ok.
Old 12-24-2009, 05:45 AM
cobra26

I ran in snow for the first time last year (decided I needed to try it!) and it took me almost a full day to do a tear down afterwards to clean it up, dry it out, and re-lube everything. That part was almost as much enjoyment as driving in the snow! Make sure you do a good clean up, get everything dry, and re-lube, and you'll be OK.
Old 12-26-2009, 12:36 PM
djzachtyler
My Feedback: (4)

When I was growing up In Illinois we used to run in the snow every chance we got... that was before Nitros were even around in full force, and we managed by just making sure the electronics were well protected from the elements...

what would be cool is some metal spike tires for ice pond racing
Old 12-26-2009, 02:24 PM
INTEGRA

MT tire's...but still

Ah the good old days.
Old 12-26-2009, 05:16 PM
djzachtyler
My Feedback: (4)

that is awesome Nick... don't have a MT anymore though, and it rarely snows where I am now, but those self tapping screws are a good idea!!!
Old 01-07-2010, 02:39 PM
whiteknightman23

last winter i used my stock stampede with the vxl-3 upgrade out in the snow in about 1 foot soft snow and all you could see was the front of the truck and alot of snow flying from the back. fun times, but i just used an air gun to blow all the snow off and it was fine. never had any problems with it. bought some park flyer skis today to put on my truck and see how well them work.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:17 PM
cummins driver

Just ran my buggy in the snow that we got here. First snow of the year

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K97LEOIlXM[/youtube]

Eric
Old 01-08-2010, 04:11 AM
lez1troubles

Cummingsdriver,why doent you build some jumps with the snow??? just brush a whole load of snow together and your set for even more fun.[8D]
Old 01-08-2010, 10:01 AM
The_Shark

im sure snow isnt good for diffs (to much diff action). but i sure do love running stuff on ice and light snow, its fun to gator and power slide on the street. you just really have to clean it off and watch the electronics. (and make sure your engine doesnt go from 240F to 180F by getting a ton of snow on it)
Old 01-08-2010, 12:09 PM
hord1080

The best snow is the spring-type that is harder and wetter after a thawing period, with more traction and lets your car stay up on top (plus jump building is great), as the fluffy kind makes driving tough and more wheelspin causing your engine, clutch, diffs, etc to heat up which is bad. It is bad for your engine to be constantly revving fast with little to no load on it and you will notice the temps going up usually. As far as buggies go, usually as long as your receiver and battery are protected you should only need to worry about bearings and metal rusting. Think about how a lot of people spray their buggies down with a hose, and use common sense to not get straight water into the air intake.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:16 PM
INTEGRA

ORIGINAL: hord1080

The best snow is the spring-type that is harder and wetter after a thawing period, with more traction and lets your car stay up on top (plus jump building is great), as the fluffy kind makes driving tough and more wheelspin causing your engine, clutch, diffs, etc to heat up which is bad. It is bad for your engine to be constantly revving fast with little to no load on it and you will notice the temps going up usually. As far as buggies go, usually as long as your receiver and battery are protected you should only need to worry about bearings and metal rusting. Think about how a lot of people spray their buggies down with a hose, and use common sense to not get straight water into the air intake.

I Dont personally know ANY one who uses a hose to clean their buggy....imo that's the lazy mans way out and your vehicle will show it.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:01 PM
Dokioto

I use a hose... Take out the engine and electronics then clean it up good after with some WD. Sorry but I don't have five hours to dis-assemble and re-assemble after every run.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:20 PM
The_Shark

if i even run with a damp ground, i spray silicone before and after the run, and blow it off with a leaf blower- but i wont run my buggy in this stuff, too complicated, but stadium trucks are fine.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:27 AM
lez1troubles

I clean my buggy in the shower after removing the engine and electrics, then spray it in with WD40, been doing this for years and never had a problem.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.