Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Good inexpensive buggy

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 04:52 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Good inexpensive buggy

Who are you addressing, good sir?
Old 01-06-2010, 05:13 PM
Doxiedad
My Feedback: (4)

I'm 95% sure that I'm gonna get the Hyper 7 Black. Have read and had people recommend it a lot. I guess I'm just being difficult because it'll be after taxes before I get it and I just want to make sure I look at all my options. It's a disease of mine LOL
Old 01-06-2010, 06:02 PM
xxxtsuperstud18

see i have a budget of about $300 and i need a new buggy for racing only. needs to be rtr and decent enough to not get embarrased at the track.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:34 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Hyper 7 black
Used Kyosho 777sp1/2/whatever came after that
Used MBX5R
Used Jammin X1CR
Used....starting to understand?
Old 01-06-2010, 07:09 PM
HJJFFFAA

Hay guise what about Redcat?
Old 01-06-2010, 08:15 PM
xxxtsuperstud18

i'm new to the 1/8 scene and even I know not to go redcat. I'm pretty sure I can get away with buyin an ofna picco and just say that its for me and my son!!! Is that a pretty decent race buggy?
Old 01-06-2010, 09:23 PM
jmaxey51

In my opinion the picco would be a little better for racing just because it has the 16 mm big bore shocks. You will have to upgrade the steering servo very soon on either buggy . I actually used the a.m. radio for a while on my hyper 7 but after a while you will prob. want to upgrade that as well.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:40 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get the damn hyper7 it will be an overall good choice. too many people are tugging you around. one thing i have found, go with the first choice that makes you feel secure, im one who shops around too much and ends up getting what i dont want.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:30 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

ORIGINAL: The_Shark

get the damn hyper7 it will be an overall good choice. too many people are tugging you around. one thing i have found, go with the first choice that makes you feel secure, im one who shops around too much and ends up getting what i dont want.

^^^^ What he said.

Look, if there isnt a huge noticeable difference between what you WANT, and what other people are telling you to look at, then get the one you want!

If I was buying new, and I was on a budget, and was going to bash and do some light/medium racing, I would get the Hyper 7 black. I really like the looks, and the hyper 7 is just a tough buggy that has been around long enough to make a name for itself.

Eric
Old 01-07-2010, 12:42 AM
xxxtsuperstud18

i think i'm gonna go with the ofna picco. the motor might be a lil smaller but goin slow wins races. plus it has the 16mm shocks.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:47 AM
jmaxey51

the picco engine is fast! i have seen one run at my local track and it was way faster then i thought it seemed to be just a little faster than my hyper 7 but they are very close in power.

ORIGINAL: xxxtsuperstud18

i think i'm gonna go with the ofna picco. the motor might be a lil smaller but goin slow wins races. plus it has the 16mm shocks.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:51 AM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

The .21's typically have more RPM than the bigger engines which is what you are after in a buggy. That way they will just pull all the way down the back straight
Old 01-07-2010, 05:54 AM
Doxiedad

Not to throw fuel on the fire but I saw you mention a Used Jammin X1, what about the [link=http://www.nitrohouse.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=OFNA&products_id=21460]Jammin CR X1x[/link]?
Old 01-07-2010, 07:08 AM
cobra26

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

Consider this:
You're buying a car. Do you really WANT that $18,000 Focus? Or would you rather have a 2002 Jaguar XJR with 400 horsepower and a cushy interior?
ThunderbirdJunkie will take the Jag, TYVM.

i would rather have the focus, that jaguar is just going to fall apart all the time just like they always do, plus its made by ford.
now if you said its like a camry or a 1990 MR2 i would agree

Sorry, but Ford sold Jaguar to Tata Motors in India a while ago...
Old 01-07-2010, 07:13 AM
Doxiedad

ORIGINAL: cobra26

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

Consider this:
You're buying a car. Do you really WANT that $18,000 Focus? Or would you rather have a 2002 Jaguar XJR with 400 horsepower and a cushy interior?
ThunderbirdJunkie will take the Jag, TYVM.

i would rather have the focus, that jaguar is just going to fall apart all the time just like they always do, plus its made by ford.
now if you said its like a camry or a 1990 MR2 i would agree

Sorry, but Ford sold Jaguar to Tata Motors in India a while ago...
Wow bit off topic eh
Old 01-07-2010, 12:01 PM
xxxtsuperstud18

Look at it how I did. You said that your going to be doing some bashing/light racing with your buddies right? You should look at something that has the 16mm shocks. You wont need to replace them as often as you would with 14mm.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:07 PM
Doxiedad

The ofna picco is based on the 9.5 chassis and earlier on in this discussion that was discussed allready and I think i'd like to stay away from the 9.5.

Still no input on the Jammin CR X1x?
Old 01-07-2010, 12:54 PM
romax

I can tell you from experience about the x1 cr . My son started with the hyper 7 no bashing only racing. He raced it for a while & did pretty good . ( top 10 at club races ) He then bought a used x1 pro buggy with the old shocks . ( i think 13 mm ) He did better ( moved up to about 5 th ) but the handling was not consistent , he then put on the 16 mm shocks & it made a night & day difference , started getting top 3 & even winning some races . So in my opinion the x1 cr is a better buggy, the only thing i don't like is the .28 engine prob. won't get as good run time as a .21 . If you are just racing for fun though that doesn't really matter & that .28 will be fun for bashing. Im not trying to tug you around but there are 2 different guys asking opinions on these buggies & i'm just giving my opinion as i've had personal experience with these buggies . We love our Jammin buggy & truggy so if doxie wants to spend a little extra i say go for it. You won't be sorry . To xxxt if you want the picco go for it you won't be sorry either . Good luck guys get em , get on the track & have some fun !
Old 01-07-2010, 12:59 PM
Doxiedad

Romax,
hey thanks for your input. I'm the OP and I don't mind being tugged around. I like to research all my options before I buy. Kinda of an OCD thing with me.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:18 PM
FoamyVictim

You could buy my Hyper 8:

Old 01-07-2010, 01:25 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the hyper7 and picco on the 9.5 are both durable cars. i have driven and own a 9.5 ravager, and although its a tank, it is a very stable, well balanced machine, that has no problem accelerating with a good .21 (actually people running e8ights and hyper8's couldnt keep up in the straight away with stock engines) and its handling although sluggish to change direction, was tight and stable, and it ate up washboards and jumps like nothing.

having a heavy car will cause it to want to go foward, braking is slightly reduced, cornering reaction is reduced, acceleration is reduced(not by much) but because that forward momentum is there it will want to keep a straight path, so it is very forgiving in jumps (super flat) and it soaks up track imperfections and curbing well. if racing is about being slow, there is no problem with a heavy car unless you surpass the cars ability, which will come with much time.

i still say go with the hyper 7. if you want an even more forgiving and popular machine go with the 9.5 (MBX is best in my opinion) either one and you wont be sorry or even notice a difference untill you become a seasoned driver.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:14 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: xxxtsuperstud18

Look at it how I did. You said that your going to be doing some bashing/light racing with your buddies right? You should look at something that has the 16mm shocks. You wont need to replace them as often as you would with 14mm.
This is a joke, right?
Old 01-07-2010, 04:32 PM
Doxiedad

I'm all but set on the hyper 7 black. It'll be a month or two before I get it though. I just obsess over things too much. So what does the bigger shocks do then if not more durable?
Old 01-07-2010, 04:38 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

They offer more consistent damping.

That's it.

And TBH, ThundebirdJunkie would wager dollars vs donuts that nobody in this thread will be able to tell a lick of difference between the two.

If you want to add big bore shocks, get on fleabay, and hit up one of the chop shops parting out Jammin's cars
Old 01-07-2010, 04:43 PM
Doxiedad

Cool so I could put big bore shocks on the hyper 7 . Now just for arguments sake how good is the rtr engine on the hyper vs the jammin rtr?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.