Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Good inexpensive buggy

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 02:35 PM
jmaxey51

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Good inexpensive buggy

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

Isn't the JPX 21 turbo plug only?
Yes it is. but those engines are awesome but for a beginner i would not get one they are extremely fast but they are good cheap engines and they get good run time. my dad ran his on his buggy this weekend and it was extremely muddy, they almost canceled he race because of the mud, and he got almost 10 min on a tank.

and to add what the shark said i was talking to someone that is sponsored by nova and he said the nova plugs are not that good. they work great but you have to change them constantly because they burn out quick. also on the RB engines i have seen alot of people getting frustrated tuning the new version ones. def. the C6 i had one and it would not hold a tune for anything and i have seen in a few cases of people getting so pissed tuning them that they crank it up and hold it wide open till it blows. but the S3, S5, S7 and also the standard plug WS7 seem to be great and easy to tune.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:08 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im runnin a OS ultra hot plug with 30% with my JPX .21. it fires up and runs very well, and its so easy a 5 year old could tune it.
now i know i could get a little more power running a cooler plug, but i will take reliability over anything.

i seriously doubt you can get a better engine under $220 new.

i also believe that even a noob can get a hot engine like this, using a restricter or gearing it taller will tame it.
but if its RTR with a engine, wear it out before you buy a better one.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:46 PM
lez1troubles

((((KYOSHO))))mp7.5 or the MP777.
You wanna know why there actually not that xpensive.Because they last, and dont break as much as the so called oposition. Less broken parts meens less money spent long term buying replacements.
Just staiting a fact. BE [8D]
Old 01-26-2010, 10:34 PM
jmaxey51

the orion standard plug engine is also good engine in that price range. i run the ofna plug that comes with the JPX in mine with 20% and it will balloon the front wheels on my truggy like no other. they are extremely fast engines. i like them because it keeps me calm during a race because you get throttle happy with the JPX then youll just be spinning out and have no control.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:31 PM
pappatono

Hey Guys,
I am also looking to get my first 1:8 nitro buggy.

The Redcat Hurricane XTR seems to give a lot of bang for it's buck ($255 with .28 engine and 2.4GHz Tx/Rx) . On the net it also seems as though it is quite a durable buggy as well.

Would like to get your views on that.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:12 PM
The_Shark

i wouldnt get a red cat, not that they are not durable, its just for a few more dollars you can get a ofna or something else that will be better in every way. plus you really dont want/need 2speed in a buggy.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:17 PM
jmaxey51

2 speed is more a hassle than anything i see them mess up more than actually working.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:19 PM
lez1troubles

Hey JMAXZY51, maybe you should change you center diff fluid for something a bit thicker so that your front wheels dont balloon up so much, you need to get the power to devide more between front and rear diffs and get your wheels spinning at the same speed. My buggy balloons all four wheels.I am using a 50.000 waight diff oil in the center , 7.000 in the front and 3.000 at the back.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:45 PM
pappatono

Thanks Shark.

The Hurricane is not a 2 speed, btw, so that might be a good thing, right?

You mentioned that OFNA is better in every way. Are you specifically referring to parts used, performance or raceability?
Sorry to be so pedantic, just trying to get my head around all the different possibilities and the one that is best for me.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:06 PM
The_Shark

ORIGINAL: pappatono

Thanks Shark.

The Hurricane is not a 2 speed, btw, so that might be a good thing, right?

You mentioned that OFNA is better in every way. Are you specifically referring to parts used, performance or raceability?
Sorry to be so pedantic, just trying to get my head around all the different possibilities and the one that is best for me.
YES
Old 02-04-2010, 05:11 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

There is no reason to get a Redcat when you can get a Hyper 7 for just a few dollars more.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:55 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Guys,
I am also looking to get my first 1:8 nitro buggy.

The Redcat Hurricane XTR seems to give a lot of bang for it's buck ($255 with .28 engine and 2.4GHz Tx/Rx) . On the net it also seems as though it is quite a durable buggy as well.

Would like to get your views on that.
Hyper 7 TQ black is better for $280 (.21 engine)
or the Jammin X1 RTR for $320 (.28 engine)
Granted they have AM radios but hell good enough
Old 02-05-2010, 05:53 PM
pappatono

Sweet, thanks for the replies guys. I am thrilled you guys want to help me out.

Last questions (I hope):

- Where can Iget the OFNAs for the prices your have quoted (Ilive in Europe, and I know for sure that my LHS ain't got them?
- What exactly is the edge that the OFNAs have over the redcat Hurricane? Isee that the OFNAs have smaller engines, plastic spur gears, no 2.4 GHz tx/rx. What sets them apart from the RC Hurricane?

Thanks, and again:sorry for the n00b questions.

Old 02-05-2010, 06:11 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

OFNA is an American company that sells Hong Nor and HoBao products.

Unfortunately, it would probably cost a great deal to have an OFNA buggy sent to you, but there is likely a comparable model to the Hyper 7 TQ Black available in the UK.

The buggy itself - the part that MATTERS - is the part that's better about the H7. The potmetal used in the diffs, spur, clutchbell, etc are not as high quality, nor are the plastics or the metals used in the chassis. ThunderbirdJunkie has an old Hurricane sitting here that was driven once, and was parted out to other owners of Redcat Hurricanes sitting about 5 feet from him right now. There is a reason it was driven once.

Also, compared to the Hyper 21, the SH 28 3 port in the Redcat is down on power. Also, the radios and servos, while they should be upgraded in either car, don't have a very good track record in the Redcats of any model.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:59 PM
yotaman1991

listen to what theses guys are telling you and get the ofna and seriously forget the redcat. i'm thinking that the jammin x1x is what i'm getting.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:47 AM
jmaxey51

ORIGINAL: yotaman1991

listen to what theses guys are telling you and get the ofna and seriously forget the redcat. i'm thinking that the jammin x1x is what i'm getting.
+1 i dont even know anywhere where you can get redcat parts except for your LHS which will be 5 times more for parts than on the internet. plus the jammin x1 alot of people used to run them and still have parts so you can more than likely get parts very easily if you start racing. also the jammin does NOT break. i go to the track with no extra parts and i dont even have to worry because i have never had a DNF except for when i had an RTR steering servo from a cen burned out and another time when i had a 2+gallon old glow plug burned out and i didnt have another one. never got a DNF because of the buggy itself.

Old 02-06-2010, 12:54 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sweet, thanks for the replies guys. I am thrilled you guys want to help me out.

Last questions (I hope):

- Where can I get the OFNAs for the prices your have quoted (I live in Europe, and I know for sure that my LHS ain't got them?
- What exactly is the edge that the OFNAs have over the redcat Hurricane? I see that the OFNAs have smaller engines, plastic spur gears, no 2.4 GHz tx/rx. What sets them apart from the RC Hurricane?

Thanks, and again: sorry for the n00b questions.

Look for the Hong Nor X1-CR RTR http://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.ph...n&ItemID=33429 Place in the UK that sells them shipping should be way less than the from the US. Or look at a hobby shop in your country to see if they carry it
Old 02-06-2010, 04:05 AM
pappatono

OK Guys, you've convinced me :-)

Thanks for taking the time to explain this all to me.

Next dilemma:which one to get:I have found 2 HoBao's in the UK, which are comparable to the OFNA models I have seen in the US:

One is the Hyper 7 TQ 28 Sport with a MAC28 engine
The other is the Hyper 7.5

Choices, choices......I have that the 28 Sport is mainly built for speed junkies and may have less qualitative parts out of the box than the 7.5.

Do you know any local sellers in the US who ship to Europe. Although shipping is really expensive, the EUROto Dollar rates really compensate for this. I would therefore also be interested in any online stores you know of.

Old 02-06-2010, 04:43 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Tower Hobbies ships to Europe, and so does Amain hobbies.

The Hyper 7 TQ, as far as ThunderbirdJunkie can find, is only available in the US with the Hyper 21. This is a good engine, though, and satisfies racing requirements. The Macstar Hyper 28 is basically the same engine, only a larger version. Most of the parts you'll have to replace eventually like bearings, pull/roto starters, one-way bearings, stuff like that is interchangeable, but the pistons and sleeves will not. However, the Hyper 21 is a fairly popular engine and has been for years, so it shouldn't be a problem finding parts for it. Do not see a Hyper 7.5 at any of the "regular suspect" suppliers.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:44 PM
Doxiedad
My Feedback: (4)

***Update***

Ok so I know this thread is a little stale, but I figured I'd update it in case anyone still cared. I just picked up an XRAY XB808 converted to brushless on another forum. Gonna stick the MMM with 2200 kv motor out of an E Revo Brushless into it
Old 05-03-2010, 02:15 PM
xxxtsuperstud18

so you went electric??? I want an electric just to say i've got one!!!
Old 05-03-2010, 02:18 PM
Doxiedad

Yeah while out racing my slash I saw a brushless 1/8 buggy and really liked it.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:57 AM
lez1troubles

Yo Doxiedad, have you got your self a buggy yet????
If not then you might want to check out the Kyosho MP7.5 U.S SPORT TRUGGY. WOW, I intend to buy one this coming weekend and run it's ass off. It's only 318 Euro over here in belgium and comes complete with radio , reciever and servos plus a glow plug and tools. The engine is the Kyosho GXR.28 which I'll swap out and install my RB WS711.
What ever you get (got) hope your having fun.[8D]
Old 05-04-2010, 05:11 AM
Doxiedad

ORIGINAL: lez1troubles

Yo Doxiedad, have you got your self a buggy yet????
If not then you might want to check out the Kyosho MP7.5 U.S SPORT TRUGGY. WOW, I intend to buy one this coming weekend and run it's ass off. It's only 318 Euro over here in belgium and comes complete with radio , reciever and servos plus a glow plug and tools. The engine is the Kyosho GXR.28 which I'll swap out and install my RB WS711.
What ever you get (got) hope your having fun.[8D]
Yeah picked up a used XRAY XB808 converted to brushless.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:54 AM
lez1troubles

Cool, alot better than the stuff you wanted first when you started this thread. Well done, hows the performance???[8D]
WHY NOT NITRO AND MAKE SOME NOISE.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.