Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC 1/8th Scale Buggies
Reload this Page >

Inexpensive buggy kit recommendations

Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Inexpensive buggy kit recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 10:18 AM
seahuston

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inexpensive buggy kit recommendations

Hello,

This is my first post here but I have been reading a lot and found some very good information. I could not find thread on my questions specificaly but the topic is a pretty vague one to search for. Anyways...

I'm entirely new to RC but looking for something to pass the time. Tried doing models but I realised I only like the assembly, not so much the painting and decaling stages. I want to start with kit, as in not ready to run. I would like to keep it under 300 to get started (is this realistic?). I have had a really hard time finding a build-it-yourself kit in this price range. I search various hobby sites and fleabay but most every option is RTR. I cam across the Hot Bodies D8 but after pricing a combo on tower hobbies it will end up costing around $450 to get everything I need (engine, controller, etc).

Why kit? I love to work with my hands and really like to understand what I am working with/driving from the inside out. I also work as a mechanical engineer with full acess to various CNCmachines so I would also like to see what parts may be weak spots of the car so I can make my own.

So, thats where I am left. What can buy in my price range for a kit? I understand that kits used to be more plentiful but their popularity seems to be falling off. I check into craigslist but nobody is selling anything NIB.

Thanks for your replys!
Old 01-03-2010, 10:39 AM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Inexpensive buggy kit recommendations

trust me, if you are new to this, you will be getting you hands into it soon enough.

kits are almost all very high end, which is kinda pointless unless you are sure you want to stick into the hobby. know that a decent engine($200), starter box ($50), radio($75) and servos ($60) are going to run you $385 alone.

if you are that into getting into how it ticks (so am i) just get a used model, tear it apart, clean and rebuild everything (diffs, shocks, suspension,bearings,ect) and set it on its way. thats what i did with my buggy, i have taken apart and reassembled every single part my buggy.

as far as strengthening weak spots, these buggies are built very solidly, depending on the model, chassis braces are a weak flex point, and wing mounts can be weak too.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:32 PM
jmaxey51

get yourself an used kit for sure. i would not go with D8 because they have alot of axil problems. i started off with an used kit and used motor and used radio. the only thing i bought new was servos, which im still using today.
Old 01-03-2010, 01:04 PM
BIGMANE42

for the price your talking,not going to happen! the best and cheapest kit out there is the d8.you said you like tinkering upgrade the axles your good to go look at a dynamite engine w/pullstart and pipe,spektrum radio specktrum servos.thats as about cheap as you're going to get.or axial engine.better still go to www.amainhobbies.com they got what you need take your time and carefully choose.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:41 AM
zaintlouis

http://www.nandaracing.cn/en/cpzs/ca.../nrb3r_js.html better check this out so cheap but just as good as mp9 i guess