Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Money dissapears so fast!

Old 01-14-2010, 10:20 PM
stangman67
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Money dissapears so fast!

Forgot how much this hobby cost. Got out of both airplanes and buggies a few years ago and decided to get back in to them both in the past month. I spent around 700 on a Great Planes Edge 540/ bl motor/esc/ lipos/ charger etc. And now about 850 on a Jammin x1 rtr buggy/ Spektrum Dx2s/ upgrade servos/ dynamite pipe and new body. Now I am contemplating buying a bunch of the cnc alum and carbon fiber upgrade parts for the buggy. Maybe this is why I got out of the hobby in the first place! 1600 in a month really hurts a college students wallet
Old 01-14-2010, 11:00 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Money dissapears so fast!

yea this hobby has a habit of siphoning the wallet dry

in the past 8 months I've bought 7 cars (1 I scrapped and another is on its way) and want to pick up a jammin x1 or the hyper 7 (still thinking it over but its leaning heavily towards the jammin) to round out the fleet. Its just something about this hobby that makes it so fun to piss money away.

BTW welcome back to the never ending money pit.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:33 PM
jmaxey51

i have been running a jammin x1 and now converted to an x2 for over a year now and i havent had to buy anything for it. i had to buy a set of rear a-arms and front out drive, they still werent bad but just went ahead and bought them. i dont ever have to buy parts. i bought the x1 used and spent 180 for an used GRP 21 and then paid 150 for the upgrade kit, then i bought an used vspec for 20 bucks but i got new bearing and re-pinched for 70 so 90 total, and also i bought a new starter box for 95. and thats all i had to buy besides fuel and entry fees. this hobby is a tone cheaper than motocross. in less than one year i spent 6,000 in just parts, it excludes tires and suspension because i got those from sponsors. that isnt to even mentioning the hundreds of dollars that it coast to even race one on the weekend. 20 a person to just get threw the gate, 20 a class to practice, and 25 per class to race. i practiced and raced in atleast two a weekend sometimes 3 or 4. also medical bills need to be added into the equation, i had a career ending injury so now i started doing this because its cheap and safe. this hobby is dirt cheap to me but i can understand how it can get expensive. i run pro buggy and truggy and the guys i race with have thousands in one car. you can do it cheap though. Ebay has become my friend for this hobby.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:38 PM
stangman67

Thanks! I am limiting myself to this car for now and I may pick up a truggy later down the line to race. I am going to put a 150$ upgrade limit on myself for now as well. And I highly recommend the Jammin, you certainly will need to upgrade the servo's though and scrap the useless factory radio (I'm sure you have a nicer one anyways). Other than that the buggy is really solid and is quite competitive on the track right out of the box.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:53 PM
jmaxey51

ORIGINAL: zachfeen

Thanks! I am limiting myself to this car for now and I may pick up a truggy later down the line to race. I am going to put a 150$ upgrade limit on myself for now as well. And I highly recommend the Jammin, you certainly will need to upgrade the servo's though and scrap the useless factory radio (I'm sure you have a nicer one anyways). Other than that the buggy is really solid and is quite competitive on the track right out of the box.
i am too an college student and this hobby isnt expensive once you get threw the first part after that its just fuel and entry fees. the jammins has a bunch of parts on Ebay and most parts off the X2 are the same as the x1.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:54 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LIES!
I've said something similar(along with many other people) after every RC I've bought
Old 01-15-2010, 12:02 AM
stangman67

Well I hope I can limit myself or I am going to run out of money real fast!
Old 01-15-2010, 12:34 AM
stangman67

Just used up the 150 I allotted myself for upgrades, CNC chassic braces, CNC and rear shock towers and carbon fiber radio tray and steering brace. This thing is gonna be an all out racer pretty soon. Just need a JPX .21 now
Old 01-15-2010, 01:01 AM
jmaxey51

JPX 21 with a JP3 and you will never want another engine. i get over 8 min a tank i pit at 8 min. the only thing is RUN 20% fuel in it unless you buy another shim for it because it wont last much over 2 gallons if you run 30% also you will have to replace bearing after about 4 gallons they start leaking. a guy named Alan Burtan does them really cheap, he in stalls ceramic bearing, the best you can buy, for cheaper than the bearing coast by them selves. let me know if you need parts for this buggy and i may have a used part that ill sell cheap maybe just coast of shipping. i do not use any parts that just fit the x1 so they just sit in a box. including two chassis one that has a good bit off use but still in pretty good shape and one with maybe 3 gallons on it and i always ran skids with that chassis, looks almost new.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:05 AM
stangman67

Thanks, I am good on parts now. When stuff starts breaking I am just going to upgrade them until I get to the race version of the Jammin. I'll run the stock 28 for awhile until I get into serious racing. My local track is pretty short so the .28 should work well. And i have the Dynamite 053 btw, pretty similar to the jp-3
Old 01-15-2010, 02:20 AM
jmaxey51

yea i had the pro kit version but there isnt a whole lot of difference between the two, you got i think everything that is different minus the chassis. and the Dynamite 053 is a great pipe i have two of them and run them on every engine except for the JPX which i run JP3 but they are pretty much the same pipe. but when you do upgrade to another engine def go with a 21. the non RTR 28 engines are ridiculously fast and will kill the axils, outdrives and diffs.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:35 AM
stangman67

I am so bad, just found the losi bind n drive short course truck for 170. Of course I had to buy it to mess with the other short course guys at the track. Should be loads of fun.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:08 AM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thing is gonna be an all out racer pretty soon. Just need a JPX .21 now
i got one, i will sell it to you for a thousand million dollars!

that is a great choice of engine, it really hauls big time, no matter when you need power it will respond with tires spinning. and the fuel consumption isnt too bad.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:02 PM
djzachtyler
My Feedback: (4)

^^^ +1 I hear lots of good things about the jpx .21, if you want it to be a serious racer get ahold of Neal at Clockwork Racing engines about getting it modded, he can do wonders with that mill from what I hear. He also sponsors our team, and all the guys who have gotten one of his modded JPX mills have raved about it...
Old 01-15-2010, 03:05 PM
jmaxey51

i couldnt even imagine how fast a modded JPX would be. they are crazy fast stock i would hate to see them modded. but i have thought about getting mine done but i think it might be more power than i want or need.
Old 01-15-2010, 04:18 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think your right, unless your a really really good driver have a huge track or just want to run on the street, its a little overkill this engine surprises me, compared to my force .28 it was like a 2.2 caviler vs a 5.7 camaro.

not many people know that this is a italian engine, its quality shows it.
Old 01-15-2010, 05:53 PM
Tom76

I can tell you from experience, Neal does an awesome job. He was going to do the JPX21 engine for me but where he gets the engines from they were out of stock at the time. He did a Picco P7R Evo3 engine for me with a JP4 pipe and it absolutely screams. [sm=what_smile.gif] I recommend his work to anyone, not only that he his very helpful.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:52 PM
stangman67

Well the JPX seems like the way to go. I will wait until my 28 gets tired though. It should do well in club events on a fairly small track that favor high torque engines. I've spent way too much money in the past few weeks
Old 01-15-2010, 10:14 PM
barndawg77

Give me 10k in the morning...it'd be gone before the night was over! AMR 40% waco bipe and a 400cc moki radial!
Old 01-16-2010, 12:36 AM
stangman67

I'd go more traditional, 40 percent carden edge, da-200. My dream!