Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

zip ties on the head???

Old 02-24-2010, 09:16 AM
ginnz
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default zip ties on the head???

hey guys,

whats the point of guys putting tip ties on the top the the motors head?? i bought a used OFNA Ultra Lx Comp, and the motor had 4 of them on the top, and they didnt even hold anything......???? i just cut them off.

so whats the deal?

TIA,

ginnz.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:27 AM
xxxnt236
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: zip ties on the head???

some people dont run bodies or when your running a buggy you head sticks out so when you tip over the ground will hit the zip ties first. So if your a basher use them then when you tip on asphalt your head wont look like crap!
Old 02-24-2010, 10:09 AM
Chris_RC

They dont work, when you preheat you engine and run it at 200-250 it deterioates the zip ties and breaks them. If you look at your car for hours straight you could do that, but there is NO difference when you race it.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:35 AM
theRCreverend.
Banned

ORIGINAL: Chris_RC

They dont work, when you preheat you engine and run it at 200-250 it deterioates the zip ties and breaks them. If you look at your car for hours straight you could do that, but there is NO difference when you race it.
They do work. I have never experienced the deterioration of zip ties that you talk about. Maybe the zip ties you used are crap. I don't use them on any of the vehicles I race, but I have a collection of vehicles I use strictly for bashing. They always see a mix of asphalt and dirt. I use zip ties on my 1/8th scale buggies because the head is most vunerable in those. I have a few turggies with low bodies and the head sticks way out on those as well.

I put a piece of fuel tubing on the zip tie and install 4 on the head. The fuel tubing covered part is on the top of the head. The trick is to not zip them down super tight. It is not necessary to crank them down and if you do they are more likely to break. They workwell and survive many filps. After a while the fuel tubing wears and you have to replace them, but it's not a constant issue.

I beat the everliving hell out of my bashers, so without these zip ties I would grind the heads down to the nub.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:19 PM
xxxtsuperstud18

they do work. but myself, i kinda like the look of a scared up head, gives it character. Just like an old guitar. some people like there stuff to look nice and new so they can sell it easier
Old 02-24-2010, 06:04 PM
Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: theRCreverend.

ORIGINAL: Chris_RC

They do work. I have never experienced the deterioration of zip ties that you talk about. Maybe the zip ties you used are crap. I don't use them on any of the vehicles I race, but I have a collection of vehicles I use strictly for bashing. They always see a mix of asphalt and dirt. I use zip ties on my 1/8th scale buggies because the head is most vunerable in those. I have a few turggies with low bodies and the head sticks way out on those as well.

I put a piece of fuel tubing on the zip tie and install 4 on the head. The fuel tubing covered part is on the top of the head. The trick is to not zip them down super tight. It is not necessary to crank them down and if you do they are more likely to break. They work well and survive many filps. After a while the fuel tubing wears and you have to replace them, but it's not a constant issue.

I beat the everliving hell out of my bashers, so without these zip ties I would grind the heads down to the nub.
I have tried ziptues multiple times, from slightly losoe to really tight, and I use really heavy duty zipties. I think the part that deterioates them most is preheating the engine when you have the heat gun that can get an engine up to 300 degrees blowing at the head. Also the engines Ive used this with were all V-Spec's, do they have a slightly sharp head.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:21 PM
1ne8ighty2wo

I've learned that using them isn't for scratch protection, it's so, if you flip over, the head won't catch and rip out the engine or mounts. I forgot who, but someone on here had this happen to him.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:40 PM
rccheech

If it's a show car and you dont want it scratched up, then leave it on the shelf!!!!!
Old 02-25-2010, 04:27 AM
ginnz

Thanks for the replies, guys..... that all makes sense. i wouldnt have figured it out though. ;-)

well, i guess ill put the zipties back now ;-) hmmmm..... what color to use...... ;-)
Old 02-25-2010, 04:35 AM
lez1troubles

neon pink
Old 02-25-2010, 08:56 AM
ginnz

ORIGINAL: lez1troubles

neon pink
Absolutely Not......im thinkin', Black! yeah, for a 40 Y.O guy, ill go out on a limb, toss the 'ol white ones aside and go for the gusto here! MuWaHahahahahaaaa.... ;-)
Old 02-25-2010, 11:22 AM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ginnz

ORIGINAL: lez1troubles

neon pink
Absolutely Not......im thinkin', Black! yeah, for a 40 Y.O guy, ill go out on a limb, toss the 'ol white ones aside and go for the gusto here! MuWaHahahahahaaaa.... ;-)
Que?

i usually use white nylon zip ties, with the thickest tubing i can find-clear if possible, but it doesnt matter.

buy good zip ties, half of the chiepos dont even zip.

Old 02-26-2010, 07:58 AM
lez1troubles

I just like the neon colours because at night I put my buggy back on the shelf and switch on the black light, shines like cool.
Not just pink but greens/purples/yellow, anything that stands out, same goes for the body of the buggy, nice bright colours, also easy to recognise your own buggy during a race with other buggies that are the same make.[8D]