Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Buggy Engine and pipe choice

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 05:02 AM
Cdr Andrew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buggy Engine and pipe choice

My first post on this part of the forums so please excuse my ignorance of such RC car matters. I have a HoBao Hyper 9 rolling chassis (don’t ask) which, of course, comes minus engine and tuned pipe. The question is what engine and tuned pipe should I put into this buggy? My intention is to do some club racing with the buggy however, budget is clearly important but I’m quite happy to pay for the best value in terms of power, usability and longevity. So, if what I need is expensive, then so be it. I have done some research but am confused, not necessarily that money buys the best racing engine (clearly) but what represents the best value or maybe even compromise. I’d welcome and recommendations that anyone has. Thank you.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:47 AM
rpg711

Default RE: Buggy Engine and pipe choice

Depends on your track... Do you need smooth fast power or high bottom to get through technicals? In any case a 5 port like the go gx5r would be optimal
Old 05-04-2010, 05:49 AM
lez1troubles

Hi CDR, have you checked out the GO engine line-up. Very good engines for the price and VERY fast, prices will be around $150 complete with pipe.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:26 AM
rpg711

ORIGINAL: lez1troubles

Hi CDR, have you checked out the GO engine line-up. Very good engines for the price and VERY fast, prices will be around $150 complete with pipe.
the cheapest go is the gx3r and that with an efra 2072 pipe is atoeast 220
Old 05-04-2010, 08:06 AM
jmaxey51

the Novarossi BF21 limited is a great little engine, and for the pipe run either the Dynamite 053 or 086. if your tracks are tight run the 053 and if they are wide open run the 086.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:57 PM
Marine Brad

Go for an RB Killer 9 or a Novarossi C6 .21 engine, great bottom end power and a lightened con rod with a revised tail cooling head for a lot more efficient heat displacement
Old 05-05-2010, 03:59 PM
Marine Brad

Go for an RB Killer 9 or a Novarossi C6 .21 engine, great bottom end power and a lightened con rod with a revised tail cooling head for a lot more efficient heat displacement
Old 05-05-2010, 11:37 PM
xxxnt236
My Feedback: (1)

my personal favorite is the go 7 port on the buggy. But truthfully the best motor out there is the o.s. i have driven one and teh power is soooo smooth and it has lots of top end. its probably my next motor. Comptly worth the money. If you have the money do it and you will never again look back. Other wise the go gx7r for the buggy.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...n-Buggy-Engine
Old 05-06-2010, 07:42 AM
mazpr

I love posts like yours, $500.00 for an engine, super rip-off...

What the hell? Thats the things I hate about some companies, so over there head...

The other thing you ask for advice, but each engine is its own. Its like asking what is better a K20, B18C5, 7M-GTE, 2ZZ, Miata BP or B6, or Hemi engine?

It all depends what you are using it for, but honestly there are extremely good engines for less than 200.00.

$500.00 for an engine is retarded unless you got a sponsorship, are racing at a National level etc and besides there is so much more into it.

You dont even know which specific chassis you got!

Just get yourself to start with a SH engine, any .21, and please just because it has more ports does not mean a thing.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:18 PM
RcGeEk NeVeR QuItS

More ports is more fuel used.Best bang for the buck is the os .21 Vspec.
ORIGINAL: mazpr

What the hell? Thats the things I hate about some companies, so over there head...

The other thing you ask for advice, but each engine is its own. Its like asking what is better a K20, B18C5, 7M-GTE, 2ZZ, Miata BP or B6, or Hemi engine?

It all depends what you are using it for, but honestly there are extremely good engines for less than 200.00.

$500.00 for an engine is retarded unless you got a sponsorship, are racing at a National level etc and besides there is so much more into it.

Just get yourself to start with a SH engine, any .21, and please just because it has more ports does not mean a thing.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:24 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Cdr Andrew, the Alpha Plus Z852 is what you want. It's extremely popular in the UK, and CHEAP compared to everything else. Maybe a Go GXR 7-port as a close second choice...

They - the Alphas and Go GXR's - are the new standards for club racing IMO.. No point in spending more.. Yes an OS Speed is the cream of the crop, but for club racing that's just burnt money IMO. Maybe if you're sponsored or running with pros..

The Alphas are available at www.apexmodels.com for a good price I think, and maybe at jespares, bolton model mart, mkracing, etc... The green head Z852 with matching pipe is what I would get... With pipe for under 200 Pounds I think.. The orange-head S852 is supposedly also great in a buggy, even though it's supposedly torquier and more meant for truggies...

Old 05-06-2010, 04:06 PM
barrydidntknow

I have the OS v-spec in my hyper 9 and it is rediculously fast but I wouldnt say it is necessary. Plenty of good cheaper engines out there and if you dont have some experience breaking in and engine then I would say it is better to get something cheaper so if you screw it up your not ruining an expensive engine. Get a go like these guys have said and when you get comfortable with the break in/ tuning process you can get a V-spec and have the go for a back up. V-spec with an O86 or jp-3 is my set up but I will be switchin pipes soon.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:03 PM
rpg711

The os speed vspec is definately the best, but for the price of one you can buy 2 go gx engines... If you don't want a go for whatever reason , you can look into weeks racing engines too
ORIGINAL: RcGeEk NeVeR QuItS

More ports is more fuel used.Best bang for the buck is the os .21 Vspec.
ORIGINAL: mazpr

Old 05-07-2010, 08:29 AM
xxxnt236

Just get the engine you like best. Personally i would say the go 7 port cause the 7 port has plenty of power and bottom end. I love the thing to death in my buggy. But it comes down to what you want. Dont buy sometihng your unsure about because then you may end of regretting it.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:36 AM
rpg711

ORIGINAL: xxxnt236

Just get the engine you like best. Personally i would say the go 7 port cause the 7 port has plenty of power and bottom end. I love the thing to death in my buggy. But it comes down to what you want. Dont buy sometihng your unsure about because then you may end of regretting it.
All of the GO engines are excellent 3 port for bottom end, 5 for medium, and 7 for top end. I personally think the 5 port is good, because you can change its torque curve just by changing what pipe and venturi you are using.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:07 PM
xxxnt236

ORIGINAL: rpg711

ORIGINAL: xxxnt236

All of the GO engines are excellent 3 port for bottom end, 5 for medium, and 7 for top end. I personally think the 5 port is good, because you can change its torque curve just by changing what pipe and venturi you are using.
Your right. If your just starting go with the 5 port. it has the smoothest power band. I love my 5 port. If you get either of them you will be happy.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:05 AM
big_poppa49

I have heard good things about the Dynamite Mach 2 engine. VERY cheap. $129.99 FREE shipping. You will need a pipe though. No big deal, just as somebody said earlier, get one that suits your needs, speed or torque.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...G-Buggy-Engine
Old 05-10-2010, 06:57 AM
riverviewrc

Clock Works Racing sell hand fitted piston and sleeves and modded engines I bought a JPX .21 Plus off him with the modd and hand fitted for 300$ the thing is a monster if your interested give him a call at 1-204-487-3241 tell him Tony sent you
Old 05-10-2010, 04:28 PM
lez1troubles

JPX.21 from CLOCKWORK, thats a hand full of fun at a good price.$300 bucks for a (race) engine is nice.[8D]
Old 05-11-2010, 12:32 PM
breezerboat

I just ordered a new race engine. I've been running the $150 Nova. It was a great engine. I am waiting for my new Alpha orange head and 0801 pipe to get in the mail. That engine is really blowing up at my track. I only see good things with it. I'll try it and see.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:54 PM
xxxnt236

ok that clockwork for him would be hell of a motor. If you get a modded motor like that from neal i think his name is i could be wrong get the ofna jl .21