Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC 1/8th Scale Buggies
Reload this Page >

Diff spool, use for off-road racing? or no?

Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Diff spool, use for off-road racing? or no?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 11:28 PM
big_poppa49

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diff spool, use for off-road racing? or no?

So Losi is releasing a spool insert for the 8ight models. The site says great for oval racing, but what about off-road racing? Would this be a bad idea? I do understand that this mod will put all wheels with power at one time. It says for better acceleration too, but im wondering if it will spell disaster for off-roading??

any thoughts?
Old 05-08-2010, 11:35 AM
AlienModified
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Diff spool, use for off-road racing? or no?

So essentially you would have full posi-traction? If so, you'll have no slip when turning, the right tires will turn at the same speed as the left tires. While on oval with wider, more consistent turns it could work, on an off-road track the turns are tighter. If anything, maybe put the spool in the rear diff, and keep the front without.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:53 PM
big_poppa49

Oops, I forgot to mention that this is a center diff spool. So I guess all 4 wheels pull at the same time....? Right?
Old 05-08-2010, 01:30 PM
rpg711

ORIGINAL: big_poppa49

Oops, I forgot to mention that this is a center diff spool. So I guess all 4 wheels pull at the same time....? Right?
No, that just means that your front and rear diffs will constantly be given power. If you have a higher powered motor and higher traction tires, you can easilly pull wheelies like this because normally when your front wheels leave the ground, the center diff will begin to unload and give power to the front, disallowing the rear from pulling up anymore. Your front and rear diffs can still unload, however, so cornering is not affected MUCH -HOWEVER- it is effected negatively by this, because normally, the leading part of your car in a turn will have its wheels turn SLOWER than the trailing part(slight differences in the turning radius), this would disallow it and you will lose traction that way. The leading wheels(left wheels on a left turn, right on a right turn) also turn slower than the trailing wheels(opposite), but since the front and rear diffs are not locked, they still function as they should, distributing more power to the trailing wheel.