Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Ofna starter box battery upgrade?

Old 03-01-2009, 10:00 PM
kman43

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ofna starter box battery upgrade?

I have an Ofna starter box and would like to upgrade the batteries from 2 3000 mha sticks to maybe a 12v gell pack or lipo. Can I have some suggestions for what will last long and would be affordable. As well, what charger might I need for your suggestion. I am having a hard time turning over my new o.s v-spec even with heating first. The batteries are not lasting very long and its becoming quit frustrating. I would like to correct this before I get to the track in a couple months. Thanks. Ken
Old 03-01-2009, 10:07 PM
rccheech

Default RE: Ofna starter box battery upgrade?

Any 12v motorcyle charger will work. Check out A-Main for the batteries.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:34 PM
McFly505

[link=http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_221_224/products_id/32997]ProTek 4S lipo[/link] pack from A Main Hobbies.

Scott
Old 03-01-2009, 10:59 PM
OffroadBEAR
My Feedback: (2)

Lipo or 12V Gel-cell, either would be way better. The gel-cell is kinda heavy though, but its got tons of torque and I recharge it like once every 6 weeks. Plus, its cheap.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:02 AM
mail4ajo

Guys, I was looking at a Lipo for this box and got a 3S 20C 5000mah Lipo. Will it work? Many are using the 4S lipos. Thought 4S will be 16.8V when fully charged.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:41 PM
rufus2000

Yes, 3S will work... I have one in my dynamite starter box which uses one of the larger high torque motor and lets me start my .21 engine very well. The 2s however lacks the muscle...
but, If you'll be using high compression engines better be safe and get a 4s... if you have a buddy that has 3s talk him into letting you try it, it will only take a few seconds to find out if it has the juice to start your motor.
MAke sure you get a lipo with high mah preferably : 5,000mah or higher so you don't have to recharge too often.
and if possible, get a lipo cutoff, or just watch the voltages with a voltmeter every now and then , remember 3.2 volts per cell minimum, that's 9.6 volts or higher on the 3s pack and you're ok. hit 9volts and you're still safe but you'll have to charge it.