Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC 1/8th Scale Buggies
Reload this Page >

XRAY XB808 vs. Losi 8eight 2.0 vs. Mugen MXB6, which would you get?

Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!
View Poll Results: A poll
Team Losi 8eight 2.0 Buggy/Truggy
31.71%
Mugen MBX6 BUggy/Truggy
26.83%
Xray XB808 Buggy
24.39%
Something else, will post opinion!
17.07%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

XRAY XB808 vs. Losi 8eight 2.0 vs. Mugen MXB6, which would you get?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 11:41 PM
jmaxey51

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: XRAY XB808 vs. Losi 8eight 2.0 vs. Mugen MXB6, which would you get?

OOPS! i didnt finish reading the thread, i see you made your decision already LOL
Old 10-13-2010, 04:04 AM
ntrain42

ORIGINAL: jmaxey51

OOPS! i didnt finish reading the thread, i see you made your decision already LOL
Actually, yeah you can still help me out. Tower Hobbies huge price discrepancy and vagueness in kit differences really killed off me going with one of your buggies.

Tower has a Z01-B kit for $584. Then they have a Z01-B 2 in 1 kit for $399??? And then they have a Z01-B SG kit for $449???? They all look identical in features, but the price difference is HUGE? WHats the deal?
Old 10-13-2010, 08:49 AM
jmaxey51

ORIGINAL: ntrain42

Actually, yeah you can still help me out. Tower Hobbies huge price discrepancy and vagueness in kit differences really killed off me going with one of your buggies.

Tower has a Z01-B kit for $584. Then they have a Z01-B 2 in 1 kit for $399??? And then they have a Z01-B SG kit for $449???? They all look identical in features, but the price difference is HUGE? WHats the deal?
ok, the Z01-B kit that is 584 is the first one they came out with and to be honest it wasnt that good at all (i have no clue why its so much) and the 2-in-1 is the last buggy kit (you get the first kit and all the new features), its still a good buggy but had a couple issues, but was super easy to fix, but you can also get the option kit upgrade for 125 to get it close to the SG... then lastly there is the SG kit and it just doesnt comparre to any of their other kits, the SG is so much better and is one great buggy, one of the best kits ive ever driven, i like it alot, pretty easy to set and is lighter and also has a new gearing, hardly anything is the same between the 2-in-1 kit and the SG.

i hope that clears that up, feel free to ask any other questions, ill be glad to help.

Old 10-17-2010, 02:13 PM
Nik.

ORIGINAL: sh0wtime
apparently the new 808 has different gearbox casings that fix the pinion problem for good
pinion problem? I thought xray was god-like and the 808 was years beyond the Losi, especially since the Losi wears out parts in 20 minutes?
Old 10-18-2010, 03:02 AM
HarisKhoso

I Find HB D8 to b really Good Considering the Price that U can get it & yet Durable. Just My Opinion
Thanks
Old 10-18-2010, 09:19 AM
ntrain42

Eh, Im still waffling on another buggy to pick up. My local hobby shop has a killer price of $579 for the 8ight 2.0 rtr kit............seems like a great deal since I know it comes with an excellent DX3S Tx/Rx combo a good .21 engine that gets a huge boost from porting and mods, painted body, and a starter box even. Seems like too good of a deal to pass up. My only question is whats the difference between the RTR and the race roller. I know the chassis is a stamped piece thats anodized vs. the milled stock chassis of the race roller........doesnt seem like too many other differences though.........
Old 10-18-2010, 11:33 AM
jmaxey51

Eh, Im still waffling on another buggy to pick up. My local hobby shop has a killer price of $579 for the 8ight 2.0 rtr kit............seems like a great deal since I know it comes with an excellent DX3S Tx/Rx combo a good .21 engine that gets a huge boost from porting and mods, painted body,and a starter box even. Seems like too good of a deal to pass up. My only question is whats the difference between the RTR and the race roller. I know the chassis is a stamped piece thats anodized vs. the milled stock chassis of the race roller........doesnt seem like too many other differences though.........
there are a good bt of differences actually, just stuff that you dont realize, but also not a must if your getting into it... but just remember the servos are junk, same as with all RTRs, youll need to replace those ASAP.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:39 AM
jmaxey51

ORIGINAL: HarisKhoso

I Find HB D8 to b really Good Considering the Price that U can get it & yet Durable. Just My Opinion
Thanks
i agree with you BUT the axils do wear and break fairly quickly and if you want to make it a full race buggy, on Amain add all of the parts up minus 3mm chassis and thats around $580, you might as well buy a mugen or something else... i used to run HB, and they still are great buggys or truggys but they do need upgrades, i ran my bugy pretty much box stock with mods i did of my own and same with the truggy. the truggy went threw servo savers left and right and the buggy snapped a couple of axils, WCE will fix that or set your droop better. they are really easy to drive though, not bashing them at all but just know 275-280 for the buggy isnt race ready, it does need some things, for starters aluminum servo horn is a MUST! but other than that it will get the job done for a while but after a couple of gallons, axils and other stuff becomes a must also.

Old 10-18-2010, 06:00 PM
ntrain42

Eh, Im still waffling on another buggy to pick up. My local hobby shop has a killer price of $579 for the 8ight 2.0 rtr kit............seems like a great deal since I know it comes with an excellent DX3S Tx/Rx combo a good .21 engine that gets a huge boost from porting and mods, painted body,and a starter box even. Seems like too good of a deal to pass up. My only question is whats the difference between the RTR and the race roller. I know the chassis is a stamped piece thats anodized vs. the milled stock chassis of the race roller........doesnt seem like too many other differences though.........
there are a good bt of differences actually, just stuff that you dont realize, but also not a must if your getting into it... but just remember the servos are junk, same as with all RTRs, youll need to replace those ASAP.

I do have 4 brand new Tower Hobby TS-170 servos which are basically unprogrammable Hi Tec 7955's. .15 transit time and 333oz. torque should be more than enough Id think. I use a pair of em on my Losi XXL.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:02 PM
ntrain42

Id love to know the actual differences on the roller itself, other than the stamped anodized vs. machined chassis differences.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:17 PM
jmaxey51

I do have 4 brand new Tower Hobby TS-170 servos which are basically unprogrammable Hi Tec 7955's. .15 transit time and 333oz. torque should be more than enough Id think. I use a pair of em on my Losi XXL.
thats a good servo, it would be perfect, its the same as the hitec 5955, meaning it just cant handle direct high voltage. the 7955 replaced the 5955 by the way. they are all about the same just the 170 and 5955 only can handle 6.0 volt and the 7955 can handle 7.4 volt, main difference.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:20 PM
jmaxey51

Id love to know the actual differences on the roller itself, other than the stamped anodized vs. machined chassis differences.
you can look at the manuals (i think there on the losi site) and see the different part numbers, there is a good bit but not as much as most RTRs versus the KIT.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:46 PM
ntrain42

thats a good servo, it would be perfect, its the same as the hitec 5955, meaning it just cant handle direct high voltage. the 7955 replaced the 5955 by the way. they are all about the same just the 170 and 5955 only can handle 6.0 volt and the 7955 can handle 7.4 volt, main difference.

The TS-170 actually can do 7.4v. I run the ones in my XXL at 7.4 volts, have been now for quite a few months. Technically at 7.4 volts its transit time is about .12 and the torque is over 400oz. Hi Tec doesnt tell people that some of their Premium digitalservos technically are "High Voltage" capable. I just give the 6v specs since thats what most ppl run em at.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:04 AM
jmaxey51

The TS-170 actually can do 7.4v. I run the ones in my XXL at 7.4 volts, have been now for quite a few months. Technically at 7.4 volts its transit time is about .12 and the torque is over 400oz. Hi Tec doesnt tell people that some of their Premium digitalservos technically are "High Voltage" capable. I just give the 6v specs since thats what most ppl run em at.
that just voids your warranty.... almost all servos can handle 7.4 volts for sometime but at some point they burn, and when you send it in, they dont and wont replace it.... same as JR, they say do not run 7.4 volts but some do but they wont last a long time....im sponsored by hobbico/odonnell and the Hobbico CS-170 is the same exact servo, once again another name, ive done research, and asked questions and it can take 7.4 volts but it voids warranty. you can run it and have good luck with it but i thought i would tell you about the warranty thing.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:01 AM
ntrain42

that just voids your warranty.... almost all servos can handle 7.4 volts for sometime but at some point they burn, and when you send it in, they dont and wont replace it.... same as JR, they say do not run 7.4 volts but some do but they wont last a long time....im sponsored by hobbico/odonnell and the Hobbico CS-170 is the same exact servo, once again another name, ive done research, and asked questions and it can take 7.4 volts but it voids warranty. you can run it and have good luck with it but i thought i would tell you about the warranty thing.

If you take apart and Hi Tec 7955 and a 7954(High voltage version) they are 100% identical minus the titanium(7955)/steel(7954)gears. They use the same coreless motor, bearings,circuitboard etc. If people want to pay a huge premium for the "Hi voltage" sticker(Or the Hi Tec direct name period), then feel free to. Whether you run at 6v or 7.4 volt your better off buying the TS-170 from Tower or CS-170 from Hobbico which are just rebadged 7955's that you can't program. They will run just fine all day long at 7.4volts. And considering I only paid $60 a piece through Tower, Im not really worried about the warrenty(Which Tower has a 1 year no questions asked on their brandservo failure). It sure is a hell of alot better than paying $110 for a direct Hi Tec 7955 or $149 for a 7954(which is just a rebadged 7955 with a $40 premium).
Old 10-19-2010, 09:38 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've got the Hobbico on the way from Tower.. What's a good Hitec equivalent for gas/brakes - i.e. something faster?
Old 10-19-2010, 09:53 AM
ntrain42

ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

I've got the Hobbico on the way from Tower.. What's a good Hitec equivalent for gas/brakes - i.e. something faster?
A CS/TS 170 even though its a hi torque servo, is pretty darn fast at .15....................Something a bit faster for less money would be a TS 160 .14 transit time with a 130oz of torque is going to be real responsive and give you enough tq. to lock the brakes up with ease.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:17 AM
HerrSavage

What about something in the .12 or less range? If the 7955 is Hitec's premier steering servo, what's their premier gas/brake servo?

Got the 170 initially thinking I was going to get a truggy, but now I'm thinking of getting a DM-1 onroader instead.. Will still use that for steering, but for gas/brakes I think I want REALLY fast...
Old 10-19-2010, 10:20 AM
jmaxey51

If you take apart and Hi Tec 7955 and a 7954(High voltage version) they are 100% identical minus the titanium(7955)/steel(7954)gears. They use the same coreless motor, bearings,circuitboard etc. If people want to pay a huge premium for the "Hi voltage" sticker(Or the Hi Tec direct name period), then feel free to. Whether you run at 6v or 7.4 volt your better off buying the TS-170 from Tower or CS-170 from Hobbico which are just rebadged 7955's that you can't program. They will run just fine all day long at 7.4volts. And considering I only paid $60 a piece through Tower, Im not really worried about the warrenty(Which Tower has a 1 year no questions asked on their brandservo failure). It sure is a hell of alot better than paying $110 for a direct Hi Tec 7955 or $149 for a 7954(which is just a rebadged 7955 with a $40 premium).
the TS and CS are rebadged 5955 which are NOT hi voltage servos, the 7955 is and always has been hi voltage servo. .... the 7954 you can get for 85-100, ive never seen it over 100. you can even find the 7955 for 90 bucks now, everyone wants the 7950 and 7940 now which are 150. im going to start running the CS-170 servos with LiFe batteries in my buggy and truggy.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:23 AM
ntrain42

What about something in the .12 or less range? If the 7955 is Hitec's premier steering servo, what's their premier gas/brake servo?
your not gonna tell a difference between .15 and .12 let alone .14 and .12.......................................once ur under around .16 your talking extremely fast response. The most important thing is keeping the torque high for brake duty. IMO you want a servo with at least 100oz. of torque for solid braking ability. .14 at 130oz of torque performance is beyond what your going to need for a competition level throttle/brake servo.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:23 AM
jmaxey51

Got the 170 initially thinking I was going to get a truggy, but now I'm thinking of getting a DM-1 onroader instead.. Will still use that for steering, but for gas/brakes I think I want REALLY fast...
most run 7955 on both throttle and steering, if your not running 7.4 volt i say the JR 9100S or if you want what alot are starting to run and dont care about the price the 7940 is a good fast little servo.... also check out the Savox servos, they are cheap and good:http://www.championrc.com/catalog/Electronics/SAVOX

Old 10-19-2010, 10:31 AM
HerrSavage

I want reliability and speed. I have a 5955 in my SC8(previously in a truggy) and it's been bullet-proof.. - one of the best products I've had in all of RC... (have a Kopropo/Airtronics with supposedly .10 or .11 and 10 kilos or so on brakes in the SC8...)

So OK, another 170 on brakes..

I definitely like the price of the 160 though, but - not knowing better and just assuming the 5955's titanium gears make the difference - I guess I'd just get another 170 Hobbico at some point...

EDIT - Aha.. OK, I see the 160 is a 5625.. Had one of those, liked the performance, but it died... So yeah, I'd probably stick with the titanium 170...
Old 10-19-2010, 10:39 AM
ntrain42

the TS and CS are rebadged 5955 which are NOT hi voltage servos, the 7955 is and always has been hi voltage servo. .... the 7954 you can get for 85-100, ive never seen it over 100. you can even find the 7955 for 90 bucks now, everyone wants the 7950 and 7940 now which are 150. im going to start running the CS-170 servos with LiFe batteries in my buggy and truggy.

Specs for the 7955(Which is also the 7954 minus the titanium gears):

SPECS: Speed: 0.19 sec/60 degrees at 4.8V
0.15 sec/60 degrees at 6.0V
Torque: 249.96 oz-in (18 kg-cm) at 4.8V
333.29 oz-in (24.0kg-cm) at 6.0V
Length: 1.57" (40mm)
Width: 0.78" (20mm)
Height: 1.45" (37mm)
Weight: 2.29oz (65g)
Titanium gears
Dual ball bearings
High speed
Water and dust resistant

Specs for the Tower/Hobbico TS/CS 170:

SPECS: 4.8V 6.0V
Speed: 0.19 sec @ 60° 0.15 sec @ 60°
Torque: 250 oz-in (18 kg/cm) 333 oz-in (24 kg/cm)
Length: 1.6" (41mm)
Width: 0.8" (20mm)
Height: 1.5" (38mm)
Weight: 2.2oz (62g)
Connector: Universal
Titanium gears
Dual ball bearings
High speed
Water and dust resistant

Same thing. Both the 7955 and the CS/TS 170 servos will also operate at 7.4 volts with .12 transit time and over 400oz. of torque. Im not famailiar with the 5955, but something tells me if you rip it apart as well is also using all the same identical parts including the circuit/control board as the 7955.Id love to see someone with bothwho could post pics showing all the parts used between the 2.

Pricing I was wrong, I was thinking of the 7940 and 45 that are listing for around $150.

Regardless, the CS/TS 170 regardless can be had from Tower if your a club member for around $60 new shipped if you buy 2 or more. Can't beat the deal, and they will work at 7.4 volts with increased performance.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:45 AM
ntrain42

I want reliability and speed. I have a 5955 in my SC8(previously in a truggy) and it's been bullet-proof.. - one of the best products I've had in all of RC... (have a Kopropo/Airtronics with supposedly .10 or .11 and 10 kilos or so on brakes in the SC8...)

So OK, another 170 on brakes..

I definitely like the price of the 160 though, but - not knowing better and just assuming the 5955's titanium gears make the difference - I guess I'd just get another 170 Hobbico at some point...
Go with another 170 then and be done with it.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:47 AM
HerrSavage

Just edited my post.. Think that's what I would do.. The 160 is a 5625.. Had one once - good performace, but it did die on me... 5955's are just the Energizer bunnies of RC products in my experience, so I'll stick with it...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.