RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC 1/8th Scale Buggies (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-1-8th-scale-buggies-244/)
-   -   Nitro or electric? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-1-8th-scale-buggies-244/11226372-nitro-electric.html)

Cpoore5953 09-12-2012 11:42 AM

Nitro or electric?

Which should I buy

HerrSavage 09-12-2012 11:59 AM

RE: Nitro or electric?

NITRO.

[8D]

Foxy 09-12-2012 12:01 PM

At the risk of being blunt, whichever you want.

I prefer electric, others prefer nitro. We all have our reasons. For me nitro is too dirty for the house (I like to work on my cars in the house mainly) and too noisy for the street (I live in a capital city). For others, the noise is what it's all about and they work on their cars in the garage. Electric is faster if you're prepared to pay for good stuff, nitro is faster is you're cheap. They both have a learning curve. Have you no idea what you want?

Cpoore5953 09-12-2012 12:56 PM

I have a slash 4x4 but I am looking for a buggy or truggy in 1/8 scale

JohnP2 09-12-2012 01:16 PM

ORIGINAL: Cpoore5953

I have a slash 4x4 but I am looking for a buggy or truggy in 1/8 scale
Nitro

Cpoore5953 09-12-2012 01:24 PM

What are some good truggys in 1/8 scale in nitro.
In a reasonable price range
<br type="_moz" />

nitroexpress 09-12-2012 02:36 PM

Which should I buy
A number of factors enter into the decision.

What is your experience level?
Are you wanting onroad or offroad?
How deep are your pockets?
Do you like to keep things simple or do you enjoy a challenge?
What local support is available? Friends, track, LHS, etc.

If you were watching drag racing on TV, would you be satisfied with turning the sound off? If so, then go electric.

HerrSavage 09-12-2012 09:00 PM

What are some good truggys in 1/8 scale in nitro.
In a reasonable price range
<br type=''_moz'' />
You've got some variables there.. If you don't want to seriously race, maybe the Kyosho Neo.. Is meant to be good value, and looks fast stock. Maybe add some decent servos, and search out some threads on it to see what upgrades might be useful..

Beyond that, for more high-end race kits, well, that's expensive.. Used maybe. But a Mugen or Serpent or whatever is probably only really sensible if you want to race. If you do, go to your local track and see what people have, try to talk to people, tell them you're interested in getting into it, and maybe somebody trustworthy there has something to sell...

celica49 09-14-2012 01:58 PM

I have the Kyosho Inferno Neo buggy, and am a big fan of it so far. I immediately put a good steering servo in it (Hitec 5995TG) but left the stock throttle servo. The other thing you would want to do, at least with the buggy, is to swap out the shock towers ASAP. The stock towers are a bit weak. Not sure if the truggy has the same problems with shock towers that the buggy does though.

chonyc77 10-13-2012 11:57 PM

At this point in the evolution of the hobby i would easily choose brushless hands down.<div></div><div>IMO electric rc's break much, much less because there is less moving parts on them, don't have that nasty smell and aren't dirty, no noise so you could drive them any time, anywhere. They offer about 4 times the power of any nitro out there.</div><div></div><div>Some of the drawbacks to electric is that they are a bit more expensive to get into initially (batteries, chargers are some of the initial purchases). One you have these things purchased though your next electric RC will be much cheaper since you already own the equipment necessary.</div><div></div><div>Im not knocking nitro in any way but IMO there is just no reason at this point i would buy a nitro RC besides the cool noise they make and the fact that they are cool because its an actual working gas motor installed in them. For me that is where the benefits of nitro end.</div><div>
I think if you love the building, fixing and playing mechanic aspect of this hobby you will probably love nitro. If you are like me and like the driving aspect as much or more so than the fixing than you will find brushless suits you a lot more. IMO nitros break about every one to two times you go out and bash with them. I have some brushless RC's with a few upgrades to strengthen the weak points in them were i have been out with them on over 20 bashing sessions without breaking a single thing. I love this part about electrics.
</div><div>I still have a lot of friends into RC cars that would never switch to electric. There is just something about an actual working gas motor that draws many to nitro RC's.</div><div></div><div>In my case i started with Nitro and if it wasn't for brushless RC's being released i would have quit this hobby a loooong time ago.</div>

HerrSavage 10-14-2012 01:25 AM

:eek:

I hate wrenching, and do very little of it.

NITRO FTW.

Ttowntoolman 10-15-2012 09:39 AM

Nitro's are for men and electrics are for girls.............;) J/K

If you are really into the hobby you will have both before too long. I race Nitro in the summer (outside) and I race electrics in the winter (indoors) They both have their place in the hobby and equally both have there ins and outs. If you want something to just play with and never wrench on get a tonka truck. This hobby is equally about wrenching and driving too me.....

Anthoop 10-15-2012 09:42 AM

Good post by Chonyc77 though.
The key point is that this hobby can offer many avenues of enjoyment.

MorganSS 10-21-2012 05:22 PM

ORIGINAL: chonyc77

<div> </div><div>IMO electric rc's break much, much less because there is less moving parts on them, don't have that nasty smell and aren't dirty, and Im a gigantic woman

I went ahead and fixed your post

Foxys points are the best

Sigma.40 10-21-2012 05:57 PM

ORIGINAL: MorganSS

ORIGINAL: chonyc77

<div></div><div>IMO electric rc's break much, much less because there is less moving parts on them, don't have that nasty smell and aren't dirty, and Im a gigantic woman

I went ahead and fixed your post

Foxys points are the best
+1 on all counts</div>

Vertiviper 10-23-2012 05:50 AM

There's no right answer to this question.

If you like noise, smoke, tuning and handling toxic chemicals for an afternoon, go Nitro. Oh, and spending $40 a gallon for fuel.

If you like speed, reliability and technology, go electric.

I have a history in flying RC Helis. I've had both nitro and electric. I started with nitro because, to be perfectly honest, i felt embarassed to be using electric. I needed that loud engine sound to convince myself I wasn't an adult playing with a "toy". However, the more I flew and tried electric the more it became apparant that the technology is LIGHTYEARS ahead of nitro. I've sold all of my nitro setups and have gone all electric. It's also nice to be able to work on the vehicle in the house in my living room and not worry about getting oil or fuel on surfaces.

HerrSavage 10-23-2012 07:57 AM

Bla bla.. If you like watching action movies and NFL games on mute, "go electric". Nitro is an ersatz motorsport with all the heavy metal thrill of 30,000 fire-breathing RPM's, electric an indescribably lame and soulless toy for ADD teenagers who got too frustrated because they couldn't figure out their first Traxxas RTR engine. And panty-wastes scared to get their hands dirty I guess..(though I don't know where they're running their offroaders without getting their hands dirty....)

Just my opinion of course.

Vertiviper 10-23-2012 08:34 AM

ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

Bla bla.. If you like watching action movies and NFL games on mute, ''go electric''. Nitro is an ersatz motorsport with all the heavy metal thrill of 30,000 fire-breathing RPM's, electric an indescribably lame and soulless toy for ADD teenagers who got too frustrated because they couldn't figure out their first Traxxas RTR engine. And panty-wastes scared to get their hands dirty I guess..(though I don't know where they're running their offroaders without getting their hands dirty....)

Just my opinion of course.
Gotta suck having a 30,000 fire breathing RPM heavy metal machine not being faster than a soulles toy for ADD teenagers.

All in good fun man.

HerrSavage 10-23-2012 08:46 AM

An electric could be so fast that it teleported from A to B. It would still be lame.

Vertiviper 10-23-2012 08:50 AM

An electric could be so fast that it teleported from A to B. It would still be lame.
lol, It's all good man. Being much slower than something that is Lame is part of the nitro camp.

Back on topic for the original poster's sake and sanity.

There's no right answer, just personal preference. speed/performance vs http://images.wikia.com/glee/images/7/7d/Loudnoises.jpg

Anthoop 10-23-2012 09:15 AM

Ooooh is this turning into a nitro versus electric debate? :)

Ttowntoolman 10-23-2012 09:19 AM

Yep!